Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Converting Sain Smart Lead Machine to BlackBox X32 - Axis Swap

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Terry Bauer, Oct 30, 2023.

1. Terry Bauer

Builder

Hi All,
    I'm in the process of converting an older Lead 1510 machine that has a Sain Smart controller to the new BlackBox x32 and for the most part, the conversion hasn't been too hard.

I was able to set the axis to any orientation I wanted with the older controller but haven't come across a way to swap the x and y axis with the Blackbox X32 controller.

Right now, the y-axis is using the long 1500mm side with the two slaved motors, and the x-axis is on the shorter 1000mm side.

I would prefer to swap the axis because of the way the machine is oriented in the shop. Is there a way to do that with the x32?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Y2 is the Slave axis and can be set as a slave of X, Y or Z - so not quite a "swop" but X1 on X, Y on Y, Z on Z as expect, then wire the 2nd X motor to Y2.
    Then go to http://svn.io-engineering.com:8080/?driver=ESP32&board=BlackBox X32 and set the X axis as the Ganged axis and flash the custom firmware.bin from CONTROL > Wizards and Tools > Firmware Flashing tool

Apart from setting which axis is ganged, our stock config also sets:
    - On the plugins tab: enable SD
    - Networking tab:
    - set WebUI to V3 to enable the WebUI (See installation instructions in WebUI Readme) and
    - enable the Telnet server for CONTROL to be able to connect over Wifi

David the swarfer likes this.
  3. Terry Bauer

Builder

Thank you Peter!! Couldn't have been easier.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Fantastic! Hope you enjoy the controller and software! Shout if you need help with anything!

5. Terry Bauer

Builder

I picked up a Fox Alien machine several months back that the guy couldn't get to work and just wanted to get rid of it. It took me about 30 min to get it setup and running with the OpenBuilds Control Software, and so having two machines with different controllers and different Control Software was just being a pain trying to remember the differences. Now they drive the same, so a big step in the right direction.

The last thing I need to work through is the limit switches. Right now, they are the simple switches that came with the machine. When in diagnostic mode, they will trigger, but when using the machine controller, they don't always stop the motor when homing. When you look at the diagnostic, it shows the right axis limit switch triggered.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Unfiltered switches can be troublesome, it might be worth buying a couple good reliable switches with onboard filtering that also just plug and plays with BlackBox: Xtension Limit Switch Kit