Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Convert workbee to laser Cutter

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Benjamin Vg, Nov 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Benjamin Vg

Benjamin Vg Well-Known
    Builder

Hello,

I dream from time to time to make wood jewelry and toys with my cnc but of course it is never possible to make the internal corners sharp and the details small enough.
    So I am thinking about adding a laser module to cut some thin plywood (3-6mm) but I am a bit lost with what I need.
    I saw multiple videos on youtube with some guys that looks pretty happy with the ortur machines. and the pricing 100-150€ looks attractive and in my budget Ortur LU2-4 LF Laser Module 24V/2A for Laser Master 2 Pro & Aufero Laser 1 but could you tell me if it looks ok for my needs? Also they propose at least 3 different modules and I don't understand the differences. If needed I have an air compressor so it is probably a good idea to connect it if is allow me to have a better quality.

REgards,

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

445nm Diode lasers cuts very slowly to be honest (6w is not a lot of power - suppliers that claim more than 6w per diode are just lying, thats the limit of diode technology), - it helps to go for the high quality modules like OpenBuilds WorkBee CNC Upgrade with XF+ Laser though

You can get more than 6w by colaminating more than one diode (for example Laser Upgrade Kit with PLH3D-15W Engraving Laser Head - Opt Lasers which combines 3x diodes through one lens) but its not cost effective - for that budget you could just order a complete CO2 laser cutter

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  3. Benjamin Vg

Benjamin Vg Well-Known
    Builder

Well I am not ready to pay 800$ for such kind of module also I think that the risk without a full protection around my cnc will be too high with a very high power one, doesn't it? That was also one of the advantages of those small modules I saw to have this small protection included.

When I see those video (in french sorry) those guys looks to be able to cut such kind of pieces:

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5. Benjamin Vg

Benjamin Vg Well-Known
    Builder

Well I am not very hurry :) But thank you for the link I will read it carefully!