Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Controller PC reboots if a certain motor axis is connected

Discussion in 'Motors' started by neckro23, Sep 25, 2022.

1. neckro23

neckro23 New
    Builder

I really don't know how this could possibly happen.

My CNC table was relocated (turned around) and the motors were unplugged. I flipped the motor connections as appropriate to reflect the new orientation. When I plugged everything back in and turned the Blackbox back on, the PC I'm running Openbuilds Control on (a Windows laptop) immediately hard resets, seemingly due to a short or overcurrent protection. I believe there was also a burning smell.

This is a complete mystery to me. One particular motor driver (Y-MOTOR) seems to be the culprit, it will reset the PC no matter which motor is plugged into that axis. The Y motor works as expected in the other ports, and if I leave Y unplugged then X and Y2 (slaved to X) also work as expected.

I disassembled the Blackbox to inspect the Muscle board and I don't see any obvious scorching or bad connections. The fuse on the Blackbox is intact.

What's going on, and how do I fix it? I could double up the X axis drivers and repurpose Y2 as Y but I'd prefer not to, and I'm not even sure if that would work because I don't know what's actually causing this reset. Did I maybe just accidentally burn out or short some trace somewhere, and if so how do I check?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

As it was working before the move, the recent changes are most likely the cause of possible damage. Best to work with Support > New Ticket