Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Controller issues

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by NIckPIsMe, Dec 3, 2023.

1. NIckPIsMe

NIckPIsMe New
    Builder

Hi everyone,

TLDR; Not sure if I can get my board working again. When flashing the firmware the blue "LED6" flashes but the green "LED1" on the Brains Board doesn't light up.

First time post and hopefully not my last. I just received my Blackbox x32 kit yesterday and after hooking up the psu and a single stepper motor to test, things were good.

I then moved on to setting up a cheap 1.6w laser that I bought from Creality. I wired that up based on the 3 wire 12v laser guide however this laser said it could take 24v so I instead put the power leads on the meanwell psu. The first plugin ended up creating magic smoke from the laser so I immediately turned it off and found that I had swapped the V+ and the signal wire. One quick swap later and the fans kicked on like horses out of the gates.

With a powered on laser I went into the OpenBuilds control software and tried turning on the laser, nothing happened. I think powered it all down and checked the wires, still nothing. I thought maybe because I had the wiring right, I needed to change the port where I plugged in my laser. So I plugged the laser into the tool port instead of the PWM port and nothing new happened. I again tried to run the laser while it was plugged into the tool plug and it didn't work. After awhile of messing with the prior mentioned steps, one of the times I went to sent the command to turn on the laser and I couldn't get a signal to the board.

Error message when clicking connecting in the software.
    "ERROR!: No supported firmware detected - See docs:blackbox:faq-usb-connection-failed [OpenBuilds Documentation] for more details. Closing port COM3"

When I try flashing the board I get as follows;
    esptool.py v2.6 Serial port COM3 Connecting...
    -
    -
    -
    -
    "A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header : Make sure the device is in BOOTLOADER MODE. Your computer failed to put it into Bootloader mode automatically. You can enter bootloader mode by: Press and hold down MODE, then Press RESET while still holding MODE. Let go of RESET, then wait a second or two and let go of MODE. Best performed right after starting the Firmware Flashing operation."

I tried that a few times and still nothing changes.

also to note, the blue light "LED2" stays on when I plug in the usb. When I plug in the PSU I get the blue light on the fan, the fan spins, there is the green light on the front of the box and the green light on the bottom as well. The usb signal lights are still off at this point though.

edit: - when I barely plug in the usb into the blackbox, the the blue led turns on and so does the toolpwm led. There is nothing plugged into the device at the moment other than the usb.
    -I can also get the blue and green link lights to flash 3 times before my pc says device unrecognized.

Thank you for any and all input on this,
    -Nicholas

#1 NIckPIsMe, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It might sadly have backfed and fried the Blackbox. Reversing polarity reverses the normal flow of current.

The symptoms are sadly indicative of a damaged BlackBox as well

3. NIckPIsMe

NIckPIsMe New
    Builder

Peter,

Thank you for getting back to me. I have a ticket with support and am hoping that if they do come to the same conclusion maybe they have a workaround for me to buy half of a blackbox instead of a full unit or something as its a two board setup and probably only half of it is fried.

Thanks again,
    -NP

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sounds good! Be careful next time, and double check all wiring before adding ANY power :)