Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CONTROL v1.0.333 & Up - Hardware Requirements

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by brrian, Dec 14, 2022.

1. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

What are the minimum hardware requirements for CONTROL v1.0.333 & up? Apologies if this is posted somewhere & I missed it... I looked.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No real specifics, better GPUs help the 3D view perform better, and as long as its fast enough to stream serial feed (while updating UI, etc) without stuttering its good enough.

I wouldn't grab a 15 year old Celeron laptop off the shelf though - as I don't want to ruin my $200 piece of hardwood :)

3. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

Okay - I wanted to rule that out before I address this. I'm running a ~10 year old HP Z420 Workstation.

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU @ 3.60GHz, 4 Cores.
    Memory: 18GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800

Absolutely no issues up to v1.0.333. From then on, CONTROL is fairly frequently 'bogging down" & not reacting immediately to input. Clicking to jog could take a second or two to register, then once it does, it often moves farther then it's supposed to, or keeps moving. Opening dialogs is equally slow. I shut down CONTROL & restart & sometimes it just works, and other times acts up again.

Task Manager isn't showing any heavy memory, processor or disk usage - it looks normal.

Is there anything I can check or share that might help troubleshoot this?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

We had to update the backend at some point - we were still on Electron 9 from early 2020, and had to update to newer version because of lots of other bugs, security issues, etc - we have to keep our dependency stack up to date too

If a change results in everyone suffering symptoms, its easier to blame the update, but you are about the 2nd person I've heard from since the update (regarding slowness), and it is quite an old machine (not bad specs though, but age plays a role as manufacturers stop releasing driver updates after a while, upstream core libraries stop adding supporting, etc). We have to weigh the 1-2 people against the total downloads GitHub Release Stats - 1.0.341 has been installed on at least 3025 computers (just looking at the EXE downloads) since its release 5 days ago. That does unfortunately mean that something about the PC would be the issue, or 3024 other people would have made themselves heard by now.

Make sure all drivers (Chipset, GPU, etc) are up to date as are all the OS updates

David the swarfer likes this.
  5. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

I do a lot of windows installs and somehing I have noticed for many years now is that no matter the hardware windows is nice and snappy until I load the antivirus.
    For a workshop machine that sits behind your home dsl/fibre firewall, and does not get used to surf the web for naughty pictures or downloading hacked software, so long as the Windows Defender is enabled you do not need any other antivirus nor antimalware.

a cheap GT1030 instead of the old Quadro may solve it with up to date drivers. (I have a GT1030 in my main machine without issues)

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

I do too and agree. We use Trend Micro at work & after installation it noticeably slows everything down. But it's policy, so we all get it.

The machine computer uses Defender & nothing else. Before I replace the computer I'll probably wipe it clean & reinstall everything from scratch. If it acts up on a fresh Windows installation, it's the computer & I'll deal with that.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Try a Linux install in between reinstalling Windows (if it does not help) and getting a new PC too - sometime Linux drivers plays nicer on older hardware than the vendor's official Windows drivers do

David the swarfer likes this.
  8. Misterg

Misterg Journeyman

Just posting to say that I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms - The worrying one is that the jog movement sometimes doesn't stop when releasing the key (continuous jog). Pressing one of the other jog keys stops it. This is a shame, as it was the beautifully responsive continuous jog was a stand-out feature of Control. I haven't crashed it yet, but have had a couple of close shaves.

The computer is old, but has been sitting in my shed running a DIY router on v1.0.328 perfectly happily - nicely responsive and reliable (I *think* it updated itself directly to 1.0.338 which it is running currently, but there may have been another version in between - I just let it do what it decides!).

I have tried disabling the 3D view, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

Computer details:
    Acer Travelmate 5730
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6570 @ 2.10GHz 2.10 GHz
    Installed RAM 2.00 GB
    32-bit Windows 10 operating system, x64-based processor
    Windows A/V only (no 3rd party antivirus)
    No other applications running.

If the computer is too slow, I can accept that - it's a fairly lowly spec. *Most* of the time, though, it works fine.

Andy

dJOS_500 likes this.
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

Released Quarter 2 (Apr-Jun) of 2009 making it about 13 years old.

Screenshot_2022-12-18-15-35-02-368_com.android.chrome.jpg

10. Misterg

Misterg Journeyman

Yeah, that's why I don't mind leaving it in the shed! :)

11. Misterg

Misterg Journeyman

Well that jinxed it! - A brand new 5mm end mill jogged straight into the vice. :banghead:

Not sure if I can stomach going back to UGS, so may try reverting to .328

12. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

FYI - I haven't done anything with my computer yet... I'm kind of feeling like it's not the computer, so I'm going to keep using it as-is & see if I can figure out what's triggering this.

I can't consistently reproduce it, but the issue really feels like it has something to do with macros. Everything seems to work normally until I use a macro. Then, everything is delayed. The primary macros I use are simple - one to move to a position for a tool change & probe, and one to move to my XY zero, typically after a tool change. Today I ran a program about a dozen times with no issue, then changed the tool (macro to move to tool change position, probe Z, macro to move to XY0), then it bogged down.

I could be wrong... maybe it's just coincidence.

& like @Misterg - when this is happening, in continuous jog it often just keeps going after a short keypress.

Misterg likes this.
  13. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

I just restarted CONTROL. Homed, then jogged around without issue. Flipped to the Macros tab & jogged around more without issue. Then I ran my "Goto Probe Zero" macro & immediately afterwards everything slowed down. I let a minute or so pass & jogged again & it seemed normal again. I ran a macro again & it seemed to slow down a bit again (not as bad as other times).

14. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

so obviously we need to see the macro code, please attach it to your next post

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  15. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

three macros:

**Goto Probe Z0 & Change**

G90 G21 G17; set modes
    G53 G0 Z-18; move Z up
    G53 G0 X-206.2 Y-622.6; move to back right corner

**Goto Probe Z0 & Probe**

G90 G21 G17; set modes
    G53 G0 Z-40.22; move Z up