Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Control Software With CNC XPRO V2 issue

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by vortexblue, Apr 5, 2022.

1. vortexblue

Builder

Hi,
    I purchased a CNC xPRO Controller V2 a looong time ago. The machine (belt driven 1500x1000 router) was to be used for a project that got sidelined. I''m trying to get my machine back up and running again.

I've downloaded Openbuilds control software (where I purchased all my machine parts) and it says I need GRBL 1.1. I think I'm on 0.8?
    I followed the directions at this link: How to Reflash GRBL to the CNC xPRO

Everything has seemed to work well. Openbuilds can see and connect to the controller. If I press on the buttons (pause/abort/etc), they send commands that I can see in Openbuilds Control.

If I try and jog the machine, I get no movement at all. Also, the motors don't feel 'energized' - I can move them by hand.

What have I missed?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Did you remember to set $4 to the correct value for your xPro. Some needs it as =1 (Enabled) and some older ones were =0 (Disabled)

Play with both options in the Grbl Settings tab

3. vortexblue

Builder

Ok,
    $4 was disabled, I toggled it on / reset grbl / retried to jog. No luck. Tried the same with $5 while I was there.

Under Troubleshooting, I am able to see the button pushes - the 2 devices are definitely communicating.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

For a Grbl based controller to move the motors it only needs:
    • Correct $4 setting
    • Power applied (check psu)
    • Motors wired correctly (incorrectly wired motors shudder in place, if nothing happens that is not it)

5. vortexblue

Builder

Ok, thanks for the suggestions.

I've got $4enabled,
    Power supply is working, fuse to xpro intact, fan is running, power switch on, it's receiving and sending messages
    Motor wires have not been moved/altered since it last ran in 2017. There is no shuddering or resistance to the motors. I can move them by hand easily. Visual inspection has them looking like they're connected well.

The GRBL I uploaded to the xPro is 1.1H. Perhaps the older hardware doesn't like this particular flavor?

Ok, thanks for the suggestions.

There was a sketchy connection to the power switch. We're running, but it sounds really cranky and is throwing alerts.
    Good enough to move onto the next issue! Thanks for your help!

#5 vortexblue, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2022
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

Try disabled too. The newer V3s (there was a mid-v3 change at some point) and the V4s definately had $4=1 (Enabled) but some of the older boards (like your V2) used $4=0 (Disabled) (see their notes next to $4 in the examples on 5. Troubleshooting · Spark-Concepts/xPRO Wiki)

No difference in regards to moving motors, but do be aware of 2. Connecting CNC xPRO · Spark-Concepts/xPRO Wiki (Not relevant to current issue though)

Remember to set $1=255 too - see last sentence of Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki

7. vortexblue

Builder

Ah!
    I ninja edited the previous response when I found the flaky connection. I didn't know you were already on it.

Thanks again.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Reverted your edit as an addition just to clear things up for others referring to this thread in future :)

Sweet, glad you found it. Falls under that earlier :)

vortexblue likes this.