Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CONTROL Software and Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Gilbert Aguilar Jr, May 22, 2020.

1. Gilbert Aguilar Jr

Builder

Can CONTROL Software be run and loaded on to a raspberry pi? I have followed the tutorial that is posted onto the forum and i always get the same error on the the following code
    "cd ~/Desktop/OpenBuilds-CONTROL ; npm install (This will take a while) npm rebuild"

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Its up to users to diagnose issues (Pi is not an officially supported platform - too slow, too hard, etc so leave it to the guys with experience), but yes it does work.
    Error messages usually tell you exactly what is wrong though, just read them

or at least include them here if you expect someone to assist (;

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Do note npm rebuild is a command on its own... Dont paste it in the same line

4. theshort

theshort New
    Builder

I know OB Control isn't supported but I thought someone with a kind heart could help. Can't afford to sacrifice my new laptop in the garage, need to run an RPI 4. It seems I have everything built and installed correctly (no errors at least) but I can't for the life of me get OB Control to start. If so is there a way to start it in the GUI instead of cd ~/Desktop/OpenBuilds-CONTROL ; node index.js from command line.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Any errors popping up? (in the terminal where you ran it from)
    Did you see the icon appear in the system try near the top right?

6. theshort

theshort New
    Builder

No errors and no icon in the tray at top! When I try to run node index.js in terminal I don't get anything. No confirmation. It just hangs. I don't get the lines of code that look to be in the sample image on github where the install page is.

7. theshort

theshort New
    Builder

By the way. Just started moving my machine around for the first time last night. GREAT job on the black box and the Controller. I bought my motion system from SPAM but bought the electronics kit from you guys. So glad I did. No fiddling no BS.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Peter Van Der Walt

Unfortunately we don't directly provide support for it, if there was some indication I might have been able to take a guess what needs to be done. I also don't have any Pi4s on my desk to give it a deeper check :)
    Consider a secondhand PC from like Craigslist? Or what about a Pipo X8 /X9S / X10/ X15? (Windows, just works, great little machines to have next to the CNC)

#8 Peter Van Der Walt, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

10. theshort

theshort New
    Builder

Shouldn't something happen when I try and start node index.js. Is there a way to start it in the OB Controller folder on the desktop (I know very little about linux).

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes there should, see screenshot on OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL (last test long time ago on a Pi3)

Running node index.js uses nodejs to launch index.js in the folder

Then maybe better to use a windows machine near the CNC, else you might have two learning curves ahead of you :)

theshort likes this.
  12. theshort

theshort New
    Builder

Well I will have to keep banging away on it until I figure something out. I'll update if i find out what my hangup is or i will trip over an old PC along the way. I don't want to but UGS did work on the Pi but it doesn't have all the Workbee/Black box functionality built in. Thanks for your time.

13. theshort

theshort New
    Builder

Sorry if this is a misguided question but would 'node.js index.js" do anything. I'm not at my PI right now or I would try it. I'm just wondering if there is a typo.

14. kth

kth New
    Builder

That should give you a "node.js: command not found" error back

I just recently took on this project and fought thru some challenges.

Not sure how you connect to your PI but a copy and paste of the commands is the easiest method of input in a terminal session and takes most typos out of the mix. (not including the comments which I believe was the OPs issue)

I assume you are trying to get the latest version running, it doesn't output anything for me when launched. Try running it with debug and see what it outputs:

cd ~/Desktop/OpenBuilds-CONTROL
    DEBUGCONTROL=true node index.js

It should show output like you see in the pics and launch the browser, if the browser isn't launching try opening it and going to http://127.0.0.1:3000
    or from another terminal session run - 'chromium-browser --app=http://127.0.0.1:3000' (no quotes)

You mentioned running from the desktop, when you get it all up and running you can create a desktop shortcut to launch it

15. Peter Van Der Walt

I am sure he was typing it correctly, just a typo mistake when asking about in the forum.

We'll update the guide sometime next week, I have to do some catchup to the Pi side anyway (prep for Node12 which the main versions are on, AppImage, etc)

marspeed likes this.
  16. theshort

theshort New
    Builder

Its running now on a Pi4. I don't know why it wouldn't run on a Pi3

17. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

I had it running perfectly on a Raspberry Pi 400 with the Raspian 32bit OS. Switched over to the 64bit version so that I could switch from booting off of an SD Card to a USB 3 SATA Drive and now it will Install and exclaim that it has done so completely. Yet all I get is an Hour Glass for a short time when I click on the Icon. I used the Non-Compile method and for the life of me can't figure out if it's a dependency that I'm missing or something else. I had tried the Linux Version, but the Download page doesn't specify which of the Distro's it expects. Tried using Debian in Ubuntu but that was a waste of time. If someone has any idea as to what I am missing, please let me know.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Use the exact Raspbian image (version, platform, etc) as called for in the instructions

#18 Peter Van Der Walt, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  19. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

That's what I have done 4 times now and each time I reinstall it the message I get is that Everything has been Installed. If I go to Other and Click on Openbuilds. I get an Hour Glass, if I click on the Openbuilds Icon on the desktop I get an Hour Glass. Then Nothing, I'm waiting for a USB 3 SSD and when it arrives I am going to give it another go with the Raspian 32bit OS and or the Twister Linux Build. As I have been informed that it works better under that version than Ubuntu which is a total pain in the you know what to Install Software on that they didn't create.

20. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I also get only the hourglass when I click on the Control icon. I don't even get the console screen. I tried the above term and got the error 'This site can't be reaches 127.0.0.1 refused to connect'. There is a hint on to 'Allow Chromium to access your Network in your Firewall'. I tried searching this and only got results for Windows even though I specifically added the term 'in Raspberry Pi'. I have no idea how to allow it.

21. Peter Van Der Walt

You are following old instructions. See OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL
    Doesn't even use Chromium anymore, it runs a proper Electron window

22. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I tried these instruction first but didn't get it to work and that's why I tried the other instructions, which didn't help either. I used them to install, I think, the latest Control but all I get is the hourglass. I do have bCNC working but I don't like it that much, I prefer Control, but it doesn't like me, I guess. :)

23. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

TRy SharpCNC Commander if you want to use a commercial looking CNC Control Software.

24. Peter Van Der Walt

It likes all of you (; Linux and its forever changing decencies, not so much. This is the reason we have the "you are on your own" disclaimer on the wiki and cannot officially support the Pi. And yes, I am allowed to say it, I served my decade working for Novell/SuSE (;

We just updated and tested the Install script in v1.0.291 (released 22 days ago) and already something must've changed upstream and broke something, again. Grrrr

Can't promise it'll be early in the week, but I'll try find time to install a clean image on a Pi sometime next week.

JustinTime likes this.
  25. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

OK, thanks, I'll wait until you have it solved.

26. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

You may have missed the heading of this thread. It says Raspberry Pi and the SharpCNC is for Windows only.

27. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

I was running it through Internet of Things version of Windows 10 on my Raspberry Pi 400 with booting from 256 GB SSD.

28. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I tried to google it but didn't get any results that make sense. None of the results mention a program/app/addon to Raspberry pi to run it like you mentioned.

29. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

30. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

LOL, the first line in the linked page says:
    And guess which Pi I have :mad: :mad: