Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Compatibility with .dwg drawings in AutoCAD 2000

Discussion in 'CAD' started by Jason @ MCC, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Jason @ MCC

Builder

Hello all you makers out there. I just happened upon the OpenBuilds community last weekend, after further researching the software and hardware, linear motion rails, and stepper motors to develop my own cnc router machine. I have been blown away by how interchangeable the system is and by how supportive and passionate everyone involved in this group are.

A little situational background: I am working with an old copy of AutoCAD 2000 and have finally updated the software (using the Longbow Software Converter) to run on Windows 10. I was hoping to download the OpenBuilds component library to use in developing a 4-axis cnc lathe/mill setup. However, I was unable to find any software downloads available that work with .dwg drawings. Thus far, I'm just working with 3D wireframe models (no solids).

With that being said, I saw a forum response about finding 2D component drawings embedded under the Solidworks downloads. This has been immensely helpful and I have already begun drawing my own 3D wire-frame library file that I will use to import components into a design file for my machine. so far, I've noticed that there are some parts that are missing from that set of 2D drawings. Notably, I have been trying to find drawings for the "X-Large C-Beam Gantry Plate" (#2030).

I was hoping you guys might direct me to other, more fully-inclusive libraries of 2D PDF drawings. or better yet, have any of you had any luck with downloading 3D libraries that are compatible with .dwg drawing files and more specifically, for use in AutoCAD 2000?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As much as I enjoy the drafting aspect of design, I would sure like to be able to import parts and construct the machine without having to piece everything together from scratch.

Thank you all in advance,
    Jason