Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC xPRO Driver

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Spark Concepts, May 25, 2014.

1. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

They are optional as most people don't actually wire up switches (keeping things simpler): See gnea/grbl

2. Critical

Critical New
    Builder

$21 will enable your hard limits, $22 will enable homing for those switches, and $23 will define in which direction the axes move to find HOME.

It's worth bearing in mind that by default, Grbl assumes your homing limit switches are in the positive direction, first moving the z-axis positive, then the x-y axes positive before trying to precisely locate machine zero by going back and forth slowly around the switch.

If your machine has a limit switch in the negative direction, the homing direction mask ($23) can invert the axes' direction. It works just like the step port invert and direction port invert masks, where all you have to do is send the value in the table to indicate what axes you want to invert and search for in the opposite direction. Here's the table;

[​IMG]

More info on this is available on the GitHUB, see 'Grbl v1.1 Configuration'.

Let us know if you get stuck :)

3. Apeli

Apeli New
    Builder

Great, looks like it's easy to fix/set up after all.

Critical likes this.
  4. Critical

Critical New
    Builder

I had so much interference with mine since I installed a spindle that I've actually disabled them - Not a bad idea to have training wheels but I'm over them now! Well, that and no amount of ferrules and shielded drain worked for me :ROFL:

5. Peter Van Der Walt

:) setzero works! :)
    And yeah VFDs are hell for that reason!

Critical likes this.
  6. Apeli

Apeli New
    Builder

Thanks guys, hard limit => on and now it works. The mask table will come in handy as I want to use the limits more with homing. My work area is quite large and I work mostly near the 0,0 corner, so I'll home it there on X&Y, but keep the Z un-inverted.

Critical and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  7. deano

deano New
    Builder

Hi Guys! Thanks for the help!
    I having a new problem with my VFD and Spindle!
    I Have been using this link to set up my VFD! RobertOlechowski/Huanyang_VFD

I have a HY CNC Spindle motor speed control 220v 2.2kw VFD,
    and a 2.2kw Air-cooled square spindle motor 220V 24000rpm

First problem, I smoked my spindle with and overload because a wire came loose inside my VFD,
    I May have to replace spindle, the problem I have is I keep overloading spindle,
    the photo show's (in GitHub link),
    Neutral (Blue) to be connected to R,
    and Live (Brown) to be connected to S,
    But wiring Diagram shows connected the other way round? now confused? P.s I have U.K. Mains supply!
    Thanks Dean.

8. Nicolas P.

Builder

Hello,

Happy owner of a Xpro v3 for many years, I encountered an issue. Xpro is driving an ox cnc from ooznest. Jogging works in all direction but the machine freezes after some commands. We talk with Mike from Spark concept who admitted this was a curious case.
    • ox cnc jog in all directions but with sharp movements. I checked grbl parameters which are the same as when the CNC ran smoothly.
      After some commands (like pressing right arrow to jog right) the machine freeze and only rebooting the xpro makes it works again. Sending gcode makes it immediatly freeze.

• some years ago, when Xpro was not responding, I used to reflash grbl 0.9j with Xloader. This time my attemps failed.

• flashing grbl with arduino IDE failed : "mismatch at byte 0x0000 0x62 !=0x0c". Same with eeprom_clear as recommended by ooznest.
      I read from Peter Van Der Walt it is linked to the Xpro being an Atmega 328pb whose bootloader is probably corrupted.

• with a spare arduino set as an ISP programmer, I successfully burnt the Xpro bootloader.

Xpro pinout.png

• Then I successfully uploaded grbl 0.9j. Still the Xpro does not respond on serial monitor nor UGS (even when given "$$" or "M8" commands).

• same grbl sketch works and responds when uploaded on my spare arduino
      FTDI drivers are up to date
      Xpro is blinking when uploaded with "blink" sketch
      Xpro is responding when uploaded with a simple "Hello World" sketch
    EDIT : Thanks to Mike from Spark Concepts and Peter Van Der Walt from OpenBuilds, I tried alternative ways for flashing grbl on my Xpro. For unknowns reasons my attemps with arduino IDE failed but things worked fine with Estlcam and OpenBuildsControl softwares. Thank you very much :thumbsup:

Regards

Attached Files:

#848 Nicolas P., Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  9. Ryan Turner

Builder

I used to use an xpro. I had 2 version 2s and a version 3. They all died. Do yourself a favour and get a better controller. The open builds black box, a duet or separates.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

11. Nicolas P.

Builder

Ryan Turner
    Thanks for the advice. I love arduino and DIY and will go for separated stepper drivers next time ;) Still compact boards as the XPro are so convenient !
    For now Mike from Spark Concepts helped me and the board is running again. I'm going to edit my post above with the solution.

Peter Van Der Walt
    Thanks to an older post of yours I find MiniCore and successfully burned the bootloader as an atmega328pb.
    It allowed me to successfully upload grbl 0.9j but still the board didn't respond on serial monitor.

Mike from Spark Concepts suggested me to try Estlcam and it brough my CNC back to live !
    Still a mystery : same hardware and software, not responding with arduino IDE nor UGS but running strong with Estlcam o_O

Regards

Attached Files:

#851 Nicolas P., Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  12. Peter Van Der Walt

Remebered to change baud rate on connection? Newer versions of grbl uses 115200, older was 9600. Can be that you did not change selection in software?

13. Nicolas P.

Builder

Just flashed my Xpro with OpenBuildsControl and now everything is working fine with Arduino IDE and UGS responding as they should. Big thanks Peter Van Der Walt !
    In conclusion something gone wrong with how I flashed Grbl with arduino IDE but I don't know what (both tried 115200 and 9600 baud rates).

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  14. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

Hi guys so ive just rebuilt the Ox and now im having problems i followed the wiring diagram if im going to use the A Axis for the second Y motor do i need to solder the 2 y connectors together as it not working atm ? This was moved here not sure why as mine is the V1
    upload_2023-1-19_19-20-47.png

#854 mark rich, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  15. Peter Van Der Walt

The picture shows them already soldered. Is that a photo of your board, or one you found online? If so, please post good pictures of your board, in the same location - so we can see how the jumpers are setup on yours

Did you have Y2 on A working before? If so, and nobody changed the jumpers on you, it must be something else - what exactly is happening / not happening.

16. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

The wires from both Y1 & Y2 were twisted together and used on the 1 stepper ( I didn't want that ) Ow yes sorry the jumpers have been soldered on mine But Still Don't work. When i connected to the A Axis with Y2 right hand motor when i pressed to home the left motor was trying to move but the right was just locked dead no idea why it don't move.

17. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

upload_2023-1-19_21-3-39.png

This was the wiring State before i removed them all

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Ahh got it yes, and agreed if you have a spare driver that is what you want

From your picture it "should" have worked, so I also can't think why not, unless the board picked up some damage through the years

19. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

So any ideas about why the A Axis is not working at all ?? do i need to set anything in the software im only using universal Gcode for now

20. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

should i try the pins at the side and connect them maybe ?

21. Peter Van Der Walt

The jumpers should be all it takes

Which pins is that?

22. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

Ok so i found a few faults with the board the relays wasn't working im not sure if these green connectors have dry joints anyway i soldered the relay wires underneath the board ( They now Work yay ) . im going to also use the Red Box indicated on pic for my stepper motors connections.
    Ive tried for like 2 hours to get the A axis Connection to work but its seems dead. Looking a Green Box on pic i think the other owner has burnt off the pads on the board. I will in get a new controller once i can create a income for it using this as im spend out atm. theres also a jumper wire on ground & ATX ??? do i remove that now im using a 24v External supply ?

upload_2023-1-20_16-51-45.png

23. Peter Van Der Walt

It shouldn't do anything if you keep it - its just there to turn on the ATX (which is now unplugged) https://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/atx_psu_startup/

24. mark rich

mark rich New
    Builder

Been looking at the Xpro 5 looks a lot better i cant afford the blackbox im in uk and the shipping is a lot on top also :(

25. Peter Van Der Walt

There are BlackBox resellers on that side too. Contact the store via Support.openbuilds.com > New Ticket to obtain a recommended reseller in your area that stocks BlackBox