Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC software to generate realistic plotter files?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Shqipetari, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Shqipetari

Builder

Hello ladies and germs!

I've purchased the LEAD that I plan on using as a plotter initially (overpowered, I know but I want to move into carving once I find my sea legs).. My idea was to make large, detailed architectural drawings. So basically a jpg rendered by technical pen. But I'm confused as hell on what software to use. Google searches weren't very productive. Is there a how to guide this ape can follow?

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

ps:I didn't know whether to post this here or in drawing. Mod if I'm wrong please move..

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Fengrave is free and can draw bitmaps and dxf files. I use it for v-carving. However, I use Estlcam to draw dxf files on paper as a qc check before cutting it. I have a 3d printed pen mount I chuck into the 1/4 inch collet on my router. I just list my sharpie as a 1mm "endmill" in Estlcam and set it's cuttin depth to 0.2mm. You can see how I drew a template in the video located in this project.

Shqipetari likes this.