Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC Router for less than $300? Absolute Beginner

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by scriptomania, Sep 1, 2018.

1. scriptomania

Builder

Hi there, I am an absolute beginner to the CNC world and would love to start working on some projects.

First off, I'd need a CNC. I'm limited to $300. I was looking at the routers from "MySweety" on amazon. Thought about getting the 3018 model. Is that a good machine? or at least has anyone got a cnc from mysweety before?

If not that kind.. What would you recommend? You'd probably say to build one, though I don't know all the parts..

Second - Software: I know the process goes CAD > CAM > CONTROL - I have Autodesk fusion 360 ( still a newbie to it..) what else would I need?

Lastly, I just want the help! I know it seems like I'm asking for a lot.. but honestly how else would I find out.. I've already searched all over the internet, watched lots of videos.. and honestly.. I just need another person's voice of opinion, a thread I can actually comment on voicing all my comments and questions.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

----

Since I'm limited on cash, I am trying to sell some stuff of mine.. anyone want a mackie pro fx8 v2 mixer?

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Builder

I don't recall anyone mentioning one here but the Amazon revues would indicate that it's probably not money well spent. A $300 machine is possible but would be fairly limited in strength and capacity. The real question is what you intend to use the machine for. Building a machine and immediately realizing you need to upgrade is not the most economical means of achieving your dream as there gets to be a lot of waste involved.

3. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Master
    Builder

You'd be able to cut foam, but that's probably it. You're not going to be satisfied with anything even double that budget.

You can do a laser or printer though, but even that would be a but sketchy.

4. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Veteran
    Builder

Don't waste your money on any cheap CNC machines. Those machines have weak "collets".