Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC Conversion, Smithy Granite 1340

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Nicholas Emord, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Nicholas Emord

Builder

Looking to convert my Smithy Granite 1340 to a CNC with the Black Box. Has anyone had luck running 4A Steppers with the Drivers that come on the Black Box system?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Amperage is but one parameter
    Check all the parameters, or provide a motor datasheet

Coil Voltage: ideally 3-6v
    Inductance: Ideally under 10mH
    Current 1.2-4A

If it doesn't meet these specs perfectly, provide the specs, we'll be able to tell you what to expect

4A is the peak value for the motor (exceed that and the motor gets damaged) - most steppers run much smoother and nicer well below their maximums, but even then, BlackBox has 4A drivers.

3. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Generally speaking a lower-inductance NEMA34 is gonna give better performance over a higher-inductance NEMA23 for the same torque range, at the expense of typically higher current draw and higher voltages required. I used NEMA34s on my mill conversion: Grizzly G0758 Benchtop Mill Conversion

The bigger issue with combo mill-drills is swapping over spindles, reorienting coordinate systems, etc. It's usually more than grbl can take very well, unless you're happy to spend a lot of time unplugging and replugging cables (lathe Z to mill X, lathe X to mill Y, etc) when you move from one to the other. To run it as a true mill-turn with static and live tooling is (sort of, relatively speaking) simple, but beyond the capabilities of grbl as well.

I'd spend a lot of time researching how other people have converted their mill-drills before deciding anything in particular about control firmware or motors. Look at the larger picture first.

5. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

Linuxcnc is what I would recommend for that kind of mill