Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC Build Direction Needed

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by MFino, Dec 23, 2023.

1. MFino

MFino New
    Builder

Hey Everyone,

I have a project in mind, but I am not sure where to start.

My idea is to build a large enough CNC machine either 5 axis or 3 axis might be doable. the goal is to replicate and/or build automotive body parts by creating molds from a CNC machine. The machine will need to be big enough for making molds for car body panels. I would like to take the mold from the CNC machine and prep it to make a carbon fiber or fiber glass part. I believe I can create the mold from milling foam, unless someone here knows a better way.

I would like this project to be as opensource as possible. I do not have an issue using Linux or Microsoft. But i do not know where to start, if anyone can give me solid ideas and or direction this would be great. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all.

I am also new here and not sure if someone or others have done this already.

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

what you need is a Lead1515 kit, build it, and actually use it to produce some parts.
    if it proves to be too small, then order the parts you need and rebuild it bigger (longer Y rails and Hi-Z mod, maybe?).

There is nothing like actual experience with an actual machine for refining the balance between what you think you need and what you actually need. (-: