Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC Bits

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by marlin adams, Sep 5, 2021.

1. marlin adams

Builder

I know quit a bit about router bits since I have woodworking hobby for several years. But I know very little about CNC bits. I seen stuff like draft angle. I know about down cut and up cut, and the number of flutes and such.

And should I get a 1/8" collet for my makita palm router I am going to use or can I stick with the 1/4" collet?

And the big question can I buy inexpensive bits and yes I know you get what you pay for :), but I am on a fix income since I am on disability.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You can buy 1/8" endmills with 1/4" shafts. Like this:
    [​IMG]

You can get away with only using 1/4" endmills if you design everything you want to cut so that it has 1/4" or greater radius curves or holes. If you want a good quality 1/8" collet, you can get them here. Elaire Corporation

3. marlin adams

Builder

I notice some straight flute cnc bits in the openbuilds part store. Now I do have some straight flute router bits and I wonder if I can use them on my cnc if I set the speed and feed rate correctly.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I use straight flute router bits for cutting wood all the time. I do not get tear out with them like I do the up-cut end mills. Make sure to measure them though. They are not usually exactly 1/4 inch so your cuts will not be accurate. I measure mine with a caliper.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Depends on bottom cutter geometry. Endmills has cutters at the bottom, can plunge cut straight downward.

Router bits usually does not have cutting edges in the center, cannot plunge safely, you then need to use a CAM that supports ramping to enter cuts at an angle (never plunge, that center section of the bit without blades bottoms out and causes a lot of stess on the mechanical components, and can violently break the bit causing it to become a bullet)

There are bottom-clearing / slotting router bits that can plunge, but most standard straight flute bits are not, so be aware of that! Look at the blades on the bottom, and CAM appropriately

As per this picture, see the problem:

images (6).jpeg

(not just for holes as shown, but non-ramp CAMs enter straight down first to enter a slotting/pocket too, expecting it to work as its supposed to be an endmill)

6. marlin adams

Builder

I know about the end cutters. I have a few up-cut cnc bits I was gonna use and the straight router bits like for clean out and doing trivets or any projects that I come at from the side if I can use them on a cnc

7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Oops. I should have mentioned that I ramp in with them.