Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Clearpath Servo motors for CO2 Laser cutter

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Nick the builder, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Nick the builder

Builder

Hello to everyone here,

My name is Nick.
    I started to design a 60W laser cutter and I have a question about the motors.
    Yesterday I found the Teknic company that they have the Clearpath Servo motors.

I found it very interesting and also I saw a video from a guy that they use them in his laser cutter.
    Here is the video:

I checked their website, they have a lot of models but I'm not sure which one will be fine for my machine.
    My design will be wih linear guide rails Hiwin HGH 15 for both X and Y axis and I will use it for vector and high speed raster engraving.
    I'm thinking about this model
    CPM-SDSK-2310S-RQN | torque = 223 oz-in, speed = 4000 rpm

but I'm not sure if the torque is good enough for high speed raster engraving.
    Did someone have experience with them?

Thank you very much in advance!
    Nick

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

The torque curve at 48V (cheaper & easier than 72V) looks more than good enough. You could probably get 25,000mm/s^2 accelerations out of that thing without really trying. Would strongly recommend a controller/DSP that uses multi-order acceleration planning- S curves and jerk and all that good stuff- since you may be operating at levels that will benefit from it. It may need- to get enough "step" resolution to effectively output those types of curves at very high speed- on the order of 200kHz step rates or more. High performance components need a high performance system to show their advantages.

I don't have room to build a tube laser (unless I replace my diode laser outright) so I haven't looked too much into that end of things I know LinuxCNC and Mesa FPGA cards produce very high speed- up to a few MHz- step rates, but I don't know how well LinuxCNC can control lasers; there's this post from 2013- LinuxCNC laser control (or why you don't need a DSP) - but I don't know if that still applies, I don't see too much discussion with a cursory search. It's likely that decent quality laser DSP controllers (for high speed, tightly-timed, velocity-based power modulation) have significantly dropped in price since then.

3. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

Nice choice in steppers, pricey.. probably overkill, but good choice :)

4. Nick the builder

Builder

Thank you Rob! I will check also the link.