Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Choice of Router

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Rob Atha, Jul 10, 2019.

?

Which is your preferences on Router?

1. Dewalt 611 (uk d26200)

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Makitab701

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Chinese spindle

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Rob Atha

Rob Atha New
    Builder

Hi All

I’m just after som input from people of which Router/spindles they prefer to use and why.

I’m currently working on my Workbee 1050 which is currently equipped which an ER11 Chinese spindle, rated at 12000 rpm? But is more like 8500 rpm and is underpowered for delicate carving on teak, mahogany and oak that I’m using. I’m currently split for choice between the ....
    • Dewalt 611 (or in the uk D26200)
    • Makita 701
    As my workshop is attached to the house, noise plays a big part in my choice as I’m sure the wife won’t be happy if it’s too loud constantly.

I would appreciate your input

Rob

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

A router is probably going to be noisier than a spindle, but the noise from cutting will be higher than either anyway. The Makita has a lower bottom speed (10K-30K) than the Dewalt (16.5K-27K) which can be useful for materials like plastics.
    Depending on your controller you can control the speed of a spindle with software (g code) - it's harder to do that with a router (you can set up on/off control).
    I have a Chinese clone of the Makita which I'm very happy with, I've got a Dewalt plunge router that I'm equally happy with, but I can't comment on the genuine Makita or the Dewalt palm router.
    Alex

3. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Noise-wise the Chinese spindles beat everything else, hands-down, because they generally use larger quantities of higher-grade bearings in higher-rigidity housings. Maybe just invest in a beefier spindle and VFD, like a 1.5kW or a 2.2kW? Sounds like you're currently running at 400-800W, which isn't a huge amount for meaningful material removal (volume of removal being directly proportional to spindle power).

The Chinese spindle- especially if you go water-cooled- can also be run at significantly lower speeds when necessary, albeit at a significant expense of torque. And of course the VFD is directly controllable from software, as Alex noted.

Admittedly, this direction is more expensive- probably somewhere in the $300 region rather than the $150 region- but if sound really is a premium factor, you get what you pay for. Plus higher-quality cuts (not that you may notice in carbohydrate foam ;))!

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

PS my vacuum makes more noise than my router. :D:eek:
    Alex.

5. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Ha! Given how loud routers are, I dunno how long I could tolerate that. I'd probably build a damping cabinet or rig up some kind of high-volume-low-flow downdraft system or something. Noise levels over time can also actually be as much of an occupational safety issue as bursts of louder noises, too, I believe, according to some moderately recent literature.

Another year or two before I have to think too much about it though! :D

6. Andreas Bockert

Andreas Bockert Well-Known
    Builder

I use the Makita (us version) and haven’t found it to be underpowered. The flex in my Sphinx is by far a weaker point than spindle power.

For 90% of the work I simply leave the router on the min setting, 10K rpm. At that level the sound is not that bad when it’s idling. The real noise is when the cutter hits the wood. I didn’t see that a spindle would reduce the “cutting” sound by much.

I think that the Makita has electronic motor control to keep the rpm constant when the load varies.

You won’t get rpm control from software but you could wire up a relay to turn it on/off automatically but that’s a bit of a project. Not terribly complex by not plug and play..

I found refurbished router for $70 including shipping...

Christian James likes this.
  7. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

My setup is in my basement, I have a small home of 1500sq' when running long cuts I'll go upstairs and listen for the vac system to shut off then I know it's done (i control the vac and router with Blackbox switching 40A SSR's). The router is not the loud part, the cut and the vac system is. When cutting hard wood / plywood the cutting is loud, typically I do things like that at about the 3 setting on my Makita, plastics slower. IMO the Makita sounds nicer (less shrill) than the dewalt, I've had both.
    Cheers

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If you are in a 110 Volt area then on/off control is not too difficult.

IOT Switching Relay Power Strip

Alex.