Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Changing OpenBuilds Cam units to inches

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Justin Shaner, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Justin Shaner

Builder

Hello, I recently purchased an OpenBuilds Lead 1515 fully loaded bundle along with the work table. I haven't yet received my table so I haven't assembled my CNC yet, however I wanted to start playing around with the CAM software.

I program industrial CNC machines at my full time job and use BobCAD cam software to do this type of programming. However, since I am cheap I would like to try and use the OpenBuilds CAM software for my personal machine programming. When I load everything into the software it is coming up in mm units. But on the Controller, I can run mm or in units.

Ideally I would create my drawings in inches and save as dxf and then program using inches. Is there any way to change the units in the CAM software so everything is in inches instead of mm?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You can load up inch based files, but the UI is Metric only. A conversion chart at hand should have you going in no time

3. Justin Shaner

Builder

Peter, thank you for the quick response. I converted my drawing to mm from inches, imported it and everything seemed to work well. But I am not able to generate the gcode. I am pretty sure I configured all of my toolpaths correctly but the toolpaths won't show and when the gcode is generated it doesn't compute any toolpath code. Workspace is attached. Any help on what I might be doing wrong?

Attached Files:

4. Ryszard Smolen

Builder

@Peter Van Der Walt , NASA missed a plant due to unit conversion. I missed some units too. Did anything change since last year? How can we request adding toggle bottom to stay in inches in OpenBuilds Cam?

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Nothing changed in that regard
    Request is noted, however time allocation and priority lists allows. Unless someone volunteers, forks, does the work and submits a Pull request at github.com/OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CAM/pulls/new before we get to it