Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Chamfer Method on Aluminum Plate

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by brrian, Jun 4, 2020.

1. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

See the attached image. I have about two dozen plates, 3/4" thick aluminum with a 3/8" chamfer around the edge. Previously I did this with a 3/16" square end mill & I 'stairstepped' down in about .020" increments. Then, I sanded the steps out. Sanding took a lot more time & effort than I had anticipated. Is there a better way to do this on my WorkBee? I have a .250" diameter x 45° chamfer bit, but it doesn't seem right for this. Maybe something like this:

Amana Tool 45704 Carbide Tipped V Groove 90 Deg x 1/2 D x 1/2 CH x 1/4 Inch SHK Router Bit

maybe not that exact bit, but something similar that's appropriate for aluminum. I could take out most of the material with a square end mill, then clean it up with this? Or is there something different or better that I don't know about?

& I'm using a Dewalt router so i can only go down to around 16000RPM.

Thanks...

Attached Files:

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I recall seeing someone use a chamfer bit with spiral flutes, that will give less tool pressure and a much better finish.
    I think it was this guy...
    nyccnc chamfer - YouTube

brrian and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  3. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

One of those videos deals specifically with large chamfers like mine - different ways to do it & pros & cons of each. I'm just going to try a ball end mill & step down the chamfer with it. It's basically the same thing I did before, but the ball end mill should result in a better finish & less cleanup. Hopefully none.

David the swarfer likes this.
  4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I recommend stepping down with a flat end mill for roughing, then step up with the ball end for finishing, ball ends do not cut well on the tip of the tool.