Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CBeam machine, adjusting Z perpendicular to X and Y

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by phil from seattle, Aug 19, 2019.

1. phil from seattle

phil from seattle Journeyman
    Builder

So after a long hiatus, I've gotten my CBeam machine running with reasonably good results but decided to get more serious about truing up the machine. Using a dial indicator I saw that my spindle was tilted to the back left corner. It was quite a bit (35 mils on a 1.5" approx radius) so I shimmed the mount and got it down to 15 mils. Is this good enough? The largest bit I will be running is probably my 3/4" surfacing bit. The error will be approximately 4 mils with that.

Shimming is such guesswork because I have to remove the router, add some shims, replace the router so I can mount my dial indicator so I can see what I did. I searched but didn't see an easier way to do this. Also, adjusting left/right (ie along the X axis) is pretty much a matter of loosening the screws and pushing the Z mount in the correct direction while tightening the bolts. I would love to just have a screw that I turn to dial in the the perfect adjustment.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    IMG_20190819_171511.jpg

#1 phil from seattle, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019