Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Carveco Gcode file selection?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ampman, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Ampman

Ampman New
    Builder

Hello everyone
    Just downloaded a copy of Carveco on their monthly subscription, what is the best file extension to pick when saving a gcode file. For my first attempt I chose G-Code (mm) (tap) file., is it the best to use with a Openbuilds Blackbox. Also my program brings up an error code T1 M6. I read it has something to do with tool changes, can this just be deleted from the Gcode file? If not how do I get around it.

Thank you in advance
    Steve aka AMPMAN

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

See if there's a Grbl post available? Grbl does not support the M6 command, see list of supported Gcodes about halfway down on the page at: gnea/grbl

3. Ampman

Ampman New
    Builder

Hello everyone, like to thank Peter for the response to my post. After doing some more exploring of the Carveco file selection, going through the dropdown selections at the bottom is WORKBEE (INCH) and WORKBEE (MM) choices, so I chose WORKBEE in MM and the file ran perfect and no error code came up. The WORKBEE files are saves as .gcode files. Thank you again

Steve aka Ampman

sharmstr likes this.
  4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Have asked the relevant team to take it up with them :) took a while to get the Vectric posts included too, so probably soon!

sharmstr likes this.
  6. Hecubus

Hecubus New
    Builder

I have been using Carvco as well. I asked them for suggestions and they recommended I try using UGS GRBL (inch) (*.gcode) or UGS GRBL (mm) (*.gcode). So far I have been using the inch one and it has been working perfectly.

7. Rob Newman (Carveco)

Builder

Hi, all, my first post here, I'm Rob from Carveco. In answer to the above, we are working on putting in an Openbuilds post into the next release we do. But all of the above are valid solutions, most of the postprocessors are formed off the standard GCode.mm/inch with things added and removed. The T1 M6 error is a toolchanger and the line can be deleted and it should run no problems at all. But it has been removed on some of the other machines that run GRBL, like the Sainsmart posts, Workbee posts, etc. We tend to do an update on a monthly basis where possible, so we will aim to get an update in that build.

Thanks

Rob

sharmstr likes this.
  8. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Hi Rob and welcome.

Thank you for the clarification. There's been more posts about Carveco lately here and in the FB group, so glad you cleared that up.

"Workbee" might be confusing to some. The Ooznest Workbee (the guys who originally designed the Workbee) use a Duet Controller while the OB Workbee is grbl based. Obviously this isnt true 100% of the time, but should probably be considered standard. And there's even Chinese knockoffs that use mach 3. Maybe a post name of OpenBuilds or BlackBox might be clearer and would certainly help all the LEAD and other OB machine owners out there.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

FYI we have a team talking to Carveco behind the scenes about the post naming/features as well :)

Giarc and sharmstr like this.
  10. Rob Newman (Carveco)

Builder

Great, thanks for that, I added it to our release task as the name OpenBuilds Post Processors so when development do a release it should be in the update.

sharmstr likes this.