Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Cannot continuous jog using controller.

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Andy C, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Andy C

Andy C New
    Builder

Hi All,

I've been using a Lead 1515 for awhile now with no issues. Just yesterday I started having jogging issues. I did not change anything, all wiring is still in place and secure. The CNC works perfect still, I just can not continuous jog with the controller. It acts like Im manually pressing the buttons on and off. Please see video for better explanation of the issue.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

thanks
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Have you got "continuous jog" selected in Open builds control?

Attached Files:

• OB.jpg
      OB.jpg
      File size:
      183 KB
      Views:
    Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Andy C

Andy C New
    Builder

Christian,

Correct the continuous jog option is selected, please see attached. There is no problem with jogging if I am using the laptop. The problem only exists when trying to use the interface. As mentioned before no settings were changed and this just started happening. I am suspecting something wrong with my interface. Not sure what else it could be since it's only the jog function that is screwing up. All other functions work perfectly from the interface. Please see video and pic attached.

thanks
    Andy

Attached Files:

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5. Andy C

Andy C New
    Builder

Peter,

Thanks for the reply however the issue is not with the laptop control it's with the interface control. The interface has the latest firmware update. Agin this issue just started happening, out of there blue. Please see video attached.

thanks
    Andy

Attached Files:

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Looks like EMI, try looking for nearby sources of electromagnetic interferences or earthing gone bad on PSU/Spindle

7. Andy C

Andy C New
    Builder

Peter,

Assuming it was EMI from some source I did the following: I moved the interface away from the unit completely. The wire connected to the black box is ~ 8ft but this did not alleviate the problem at all. I also unplugged the router, but the problem still exists. I am also isolated in a corner of my shop where only the CNC operates. I am 100% sure it's not EMI unless you can suggest another source.....

thanks
    Andy

8. Peter Van Der Walt

9. Andy C

Andy C New
    Builder

Peter,

I am quite perplexed here. I ran the test on the controler both attached to the control box and away connected to just USB, which ran fine. I hooked it back up to the control box and it is still behaving the same. I again eliminated potential EMI sources and still no change. I checked the continuity on each wire from the controller to the control box and they are all good. I recently had an issue where the Z home limit switch wasn't working but once I did some troubleshooting I discovered that there was a break in the wire somewhere in the casing and it wasn't always making the connection.

It appears that the controller isn't registering that it is a one push touch instead of continuous touch and thus only jogs accordingly. The test only checks a single touch and not continuous touch. Is there any test we can run to confirm this?

thanks
    Andy

10. Peter Van Der Walt

When subjected to EMI the touch chip sees events from buttons that aren't being touched while you jog (interrupting the current jog) or sees pulses instead of a Continous signal from the button you are touching.

Any non-OpenBuilds parts involved? - 3rd party PSU, VFD, that sort of thing? Building wire up to code (L and N not swopped at socket, Earthed correctly)

11. Andy C

Andy C New
    Builder

Peter,

Sorry for the delay in the reply...life got real busy.

All components are OpenBuilds, no 3rd party equipment. I also unplugged and isolated the RoutER11 to rule out any problems. The wiring hasn't changed since the building was built and inspected so all good there. I changed extension cords, and tried every plug in the shop, no difference. I went so far as to plug everything in my shop and only have the CNC powered up (not the router) to eliminate the chance of EMI.....still no difference. So from this I am left to believe the issue is within the system itself. Since the system will jog with the laptop I believe it rules out the black box and leaves the controller. The issue is also puzzling in that it isn't consistent in it's intermittent jogging, there's no pattern to it at all.

The one thing I cannot rule out is that the PSU may indeed be causing some noise or EMI which is somehow interfering with the controller. Since OpenBuilds PSU's are out of stock, I have ordered another from a different source. Once I change this out I do not know what else can be done if the problem isn't solved.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Very possible, and I do hope that is it.
    We can reliability cause similar behaviour by swopping out the meanwell with a $25 amazon power brick :) so not uncommon

13. Andy C

Andy C New
    Builder

I do not go to Amazon for electronics that really matter such as PSU due to fake sales. I purchased a Meanwell from Digi-Key so I should be getting a reliable unit. I'll let you know once I swap it out and do a test run.

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Was the original also a meanwell? We love meanwell :)

15. Andy C

Andy C New
    Builder

The original was indeed a Meanwell.....a reliable manufacturer.

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Well, lets see when the new one comes in. Keep us updated

17. Andy C

Andy C New
    Builder

Peter,

The news is not great. I swapped the PSU and zero change. See video. The problem seems to be the controller isn't registering the continuous push of the buttons. I can't blame this on EMI any more as I've ruled out everything.

I'm pretty stumped on this now, not sure where else to go with troubleshooting. What are your thoughts with this new info?

Thanks
    Andy

Attached Files:

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Contact the store via Support > New Ticket so we can try a replacement Interface :thumbsup:

19. Andy C

Andy C New
    Builder

Ok thanks Peter.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.