Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Candle Heightmap Setting

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by skypn, Jun 11, 2021.

1. skypn

skypn New
    Builder

Hello, and TIA
    This is my first post. I am Very new to both CNC and gcode, although I have done some programming in C++ and BASIC, with a tad of assembly language.
    I bought my SainSmart 3018 pro for the expressed purpose of milling PCBs.
    It seems to me that the Candle heightmap values in the edit mode, and the resultant probe data, is in mm. I have done all my designs (in Eagle) in inches, along with Flatcam set to inches.
    I am having problems with the heightmap not wanting to play well with the board when it comes time to mill it.
    I follow the troubleshooting theory that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, no matter how improbable, must be the answer.
    So...does anyone here think this may be an issue? if so, would I have to change the results to inches by hand?
    I have a couple of other suspects, which I will look into after I resolve this.

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

just set flatcam to mm?
    the machine controller internals are all mm, though it can ingest inches and cut just fine, the native units are mm so giving it those will always be more accurate.
    if flatcam makes Gcode in mm it should all work, and since you are pretty much never going to read the Gcode, does it matter? (-:

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. skypn

skypn New
    Builder

would I need to change Eagle to mm also?

4. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Does the inch/mm parameter in "settings" not help?
    I use OpenCNCpilot for PCB milling, have you tried that?

5. skypn

skypn New
    Builder

Thank You for your help. I was able to finally get the setting right, but what turned to be my biggest problem was there was a couple of *slighty* loose screws attaching the carriage to the Y axis. All is good now. Milled my first good board.