Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Can the CNC xPRO V4 Controller Stepper Driver handle High torque motors?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by MTNMAN702, Feb 5, 2019.

1. MTNMAN702

MTNMAN702 New
    Builder

I am an entry level CNC enthusiast with a Journeyman electrical and light electronics background. I am currently building a C-Beam machine and am using the CNC USB controller Mk3/4 (4 axis) that I had bought for another, larger, build. So, I need to buy another board. And I was interested in the CNC xPRO V4 Controller Stepper Driver. From what I gather, it is not necessary to use stepper drivers in addition to the board because, they are already built in. A friend of mine, who has much more CNC experience than I, told me that this board would short out with the high torque stepper motors. Which, is what I Currently have and would prefer to use on the next build as well. Can you tell me if that is an accurate assessment or not? Or how this board compares overall to the MK3\4 board? Also, I like the plug and play ability of the xPro V4. And would like the ability to add a laser, Z-probe and a rotary attachment down the road. Any input would be appreciated.

2. SugarJ

SugarJ Well-Known
    Builder

It depends on your motor amperage. If you're using the High-torque ones from the OB store, the max output from the xPro is 2.5 Amps while the high-torque motors are rated for 3 Amps maximum draw. You'd be better off with external drivers for those motors.

3. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi MTMMan, it won't "short out" but it won't deliver the full performance those motors are capable of, for the standard nema23 motors the xPro would be fine.
    Arduino Uno with external drivers like 542's or TB6600's that can do 4A will give you full power and some thermal overhead.
    Also with external drivers you can go higher than 24v for more speed.
    I say arduino, because the xPro runs GRBL and so can an Arduino.. or Estlcam or Openbuilds controller software(with GRBL) :)
    Cheers
    Gary