Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Can I use every G code file on my CNC6040

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Hugo52, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Hugo52

Hugo52 New
    Builder

Hello, I an new in this, just have a CNC 6040, pls tell me if it is possible to run every G code list/table.
    Regards Hugo Amsterdam

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Every CNC controller has it's own interpretation of the Gcode standard (RS274).
    If the 6040's controller is GRBL based, then is speaks a simple subset of Gcode defined for LinuxCNC, none of the fancy codes, just basic movements and offsets as listed here
    Home

Because each controller is a little different you will not find Gcode files 'for sale' or downloadable since you need to generate the Gcode so it matches each controller.
    This is known as 'post processing', this comes from processing the basic movements 'after' (post) generation (in the CAM software from the CAD drawing) into Gcode.
    You will need to select the correct post processor in your CAD program to generate the correct Gcode for your controller.

OpenBuilds CAM Gcode Creator - Public Beta will generate simple Gcode suitable for GRBL based controllers that will probably work on many controllers.

3. Hugo52

Hugo52 New
    Builder

Thank you for this info, I was started with Fusion 360 but so much possibility's
    Regards Hugo

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder