Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Camper van build

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Dan Farrell, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Dan Farrell

Builder

Hi,
    Hoping you guys can help or point me in the right direction.
    I'm looking to add some custom interior to my camper van and want to add a sliding deck for luggage under a bed deck.
    Looking at building this out of aluminium extrusion.
    How much weight can the gantry wheels cope with? It would probably only be about 100kgs max on a slide bed. So roughly a 1.5m sliding shelf leaving about the 50cm inside the van on the rail. This would be strapped down to an already existing frame.
    Was also thinking if successful removing the rest of my interior and replacing with custom extrusion cladded with plywood.

Thanks in advance guys, apologies if its the wrong kind of forum for this,feel free to remove if not appripriate

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I was thinking of doing something similar with a small open bed cargo trailer. I was going to mimic how Bedslide or one of the other truck bed companies does it. Unfortunately, I lost the drawing I had made for it.

3. Dan Farrell

Builder

I was looking for suitable materials to use a few months back and there is someone doing it, just very expensive in the UK, I just wanted something a bit more custom a d not as expensive!

https://www.blokpod.co.uk/product-category/pods/

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Can you give us a drawing of what you're trying to achieve? What you describe in the initial post seems entirely different than what is in your second post.

5. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

I'd stick with their idea of ball bearing slides- enough jolts from the road and plastic V-wheels would develop flats, even disregarding the fairly extreme weight and cantilever requirements. Heavy duty drawer glides are expensive for a reason.

Igus sliders are another option.

6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Or use large bearings like the truck bed slides. I have a bed slide that basically has the bed sitting on angle iron. The base is essentially an I-beam and has a large steel bearing on each side at the front. The bed slides on these bearings as it is pulled out. There are also two bearings in the rear of the bed - one riding on top of the I-beam one riding underneath to keep the bed from lifting up. It is a very simple concept that works beautifully and can hold 2000 pounds.