Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CAD Files for Lowrider?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by BrokenScrew5150, Dec 3, 2023.

1. BrokenScrew5150

Builder

Hey all! New to this, but going after an ambitious project. I'm going to try to build a DIY 4'x8' CNC router using the Lowrider as the base inspiration, but by the time I'm done it will have very little in common with the Lowrider other than general principle... rack and pinions replacing the belts, all CNC milled parts instead of 3D printed, NEMA 23's, etc, etc, etc.

The problem is, I need some good deep evaluation of the Lowrider to get started and flush the concept out. The only CAD files I can find available are basically STL's. While they are simple enough to make solid models from, it's probably 2 or 3 weeks worth of work to do so.

Anyone have a resource for someone who's already done the deed and has STEP, IGS, or SolidWorks files of the Lowrider or a close relative of it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Banjopete

Banjopete New
    Builder

Have you asked in the V1 forums? They're very active, I'd be surprised if someone hasn't done this along the way, 3 versions in now.

3. BrokenScrew5150

Builder

Thought about that, but I'm pretty sure it would get shut down quick if I did.

Searching the V1 forum, it looks like the topic has a come up a few times. The guy that made it (Ryan I think?) doesn't want to share STEP's (and presumably therefore doesn't want others sharing them).

His reasons are solid and understandable... A, he doesn't want copy cats with questionable skills damaging the reputation of the design and B, he makes money by selling the kits and such, which with solid models, it would make it easier for someone to outbid him on his own product(s).

I feel like what I'm doing with a full redesign is different and shouldn't cause any of the issues he's worried about, but I doubt he'd agree :)

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

At one time I thought about building a router sort of like the Lowrider that would handle 4X8 Sheets. I was just going to use off the shelf plates and extrusions from Openbuilds. there are attachment pieces that will allow you to butt two 1500mm Vslot extrusions together. The only reason i have not done this is because I do not have the room. I would use rack and pinion most likely. Or a much larger belt in a double belted system.