Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Cad/cam alternatives

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Gareth Morgan, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Gareth Morgan

Builder

Just completing my build of 1500x1500 CNC lead screw router table. I have Openbuilds cam software installed, but a lot of what I have previously learnt was watching vectric vcarve tutorials.
    My question is- can the Openbuilds software do everything the vcarve pro software can, and if so are there tutorials about to help someone learn- I have looked but couldn’t find any, and without a video tutorial I’m stuck, as I am visual learner.

Or am I better off paying the ££££ and getting vcarve, does it integrate with x32 black box and interface okay?

For context - I am looking to start off making catch all trays with vcarve designs in bottom, animal faces, cars etc.

Thanks for help.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No, its more of a beginner, basic, free CAM.
    Can do all the 2.5D work you may need, but no full 3D, VCarving, etc.

Always! Vectric is amazing and well worth the price: As for integration, just make sure to use our Post: docs:software:vectric [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    Definately need Vectric for that :) - remember to post them for show off in Projects | OpenBuilds if you want to share

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  3. Gareth Morgan

Builder

Peter, that’s twice this week you put my mind at rest,

many thanks

Gareth

Giarc and Peter Van Der Walt like this.