Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Cable Management

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Colin Mccourt, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Ok Guys, First up.... (Sorry for asking quite a lot of perhaps silly newbie questions, my machine hasen't arrived just yet but all sorts of query's enter my head and I just thought I'd put them out there as the replies may help prepare some other folks for their first build.
    Simple question...I basically know how I'm going to manage the nitty gritty wiring via drive chains and profile groove covers etc but how do the forum board members manage the Router Cable and the Power Supply cable (and or the wiring from the power supply to the controller board) Given that the gantry's will also be in motion.
    Can you go through some options with me alongside some images of your set-ups to give me some ideas of how I can best manage my own system
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    C

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

The router power cable (and dust extraction) need to be supported above the machine roughly in the middle of the cutting area with enough slack to reach all four corners. Have you got a ceiling above your machine you could attach a hook to? If not you could fix a couple of uprights either side of your machine with a horizontal bar between them (at least 3 feet above the machine or you'll constantly be getting tangled in the cables).
    The power supply to the controller board goes through a hole in the Y plate (zip-tied) and has plenty of slack - I just lay mine alongside the Y axis. The mains supply to the power supply likewise can just lie on the bench next to the machine en-route to the nearest power socket.

Regards
    Alex

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  3. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Hmmmm @Alex Chambers, I kinda knew this was going to be another area that needs attention...:rolleyes:

4. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

OK Dont Laugh Guys :cool:
    But I've been doing a little research of sorts and came across these retractable ceiling hooks/pulleys for the VR gamers out there.
    Would these work for the Router cable/ dust extraction tube management...Just watch the vid and let me know if the would have a place in our work environment..I'm all for being tidy :) I expect there are more heavier duty parts available using this system

Using a proper threaded ceiling hook to attach the unit and forget about the carabiner and attach the router cable either by threading it through the wire loop or cable tie

510YFuZi1GL._SL1250_.jpg

its the simple things that matter ......

#4 Colin Mccourt, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Peter Van Der Walt and Rick 2.0 like this.
  5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Well you could Colin...... all I have done with mine is clamp a bit of 2" x 1" to the edge of my bench, screw a large cup hook into the top and drape the router cable over the hook. I am going to have to come up with a better arrangement when I get around to installing dust extraction though - not so easy to hang things from my cellar ceiling - it's 10 feet high! :confused:

6. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I'm loathed to go into the ceiling too @Alex Chambers as its an integral garage and its fabricated with a fire retardant coating..so your idea with a bench fixed timber spar arrangement coupled with those retractable pulleys just might be a solution...Are you going to purchase a bag type dust extractor

lumberjack-ude65-65l-chip-and-dust-extractor-P-537174-4511602_1.jpg

#6 Colin Mccourt, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  7. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I have one for my saw bench/planer-thicknessor/spindle moulder, but they are not usually very good with fine dust. I may rig up something with a bin and a vacuum - router to bin, bin to vacuum with a fine filter on the bin to vacuum outlet. I expect I'll be machining quite a lot of mdf so good dust extraction will be important.
    Alex

8. pwoody

pwoody New
    Builder

I know this is a more than 4 year old thread but has anyone had any luck running the router cable through the drag chains? I would prefer to not have it hanging over the machine.

9. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

People hang mains and spindle cables above the machine precisely because putting it in the drag chain leads to electrical problems (interference - emi).
    Some people have got away with it, but it is a very common cause of emi, and shielding is nowhere near as good as physical distance at guarding against the effects.
    Alex.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.