Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Bot

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Carl Feniak, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Matt Mathias

Matt Mathias Well-Known
    Builder

Not different, I just am designing a system for determining how to most efficiently use my extrusions. For my use case I already have 9* 1500 mm extrusions so I didn't need to figure out how to best use the available lengths, I am adding that to this tool for the fun of it tho.

2. Spiffcow

Spiffcow Well-Known
    Builder

Ah, okay cool! Definitely a useful tool and it looks like it'll save me a few bucks :)

I was also hoping to make sure that the dimensions were correct and that 500mm screw length was an appropriate choice with the side mounted bed. Basically wanting to verify that the math in the latest version is what I should be using, and that there isn't something I haven't accounted for.

3. Matt Mathias

Matt Mathias Well-Known
    Builder

I can tell you that @Carl Feniak updated it yesterday and it is accurate to what is in the 123dx file.

4. Spiffcow

Spiffcow Well-Known
    Builder

So the front Z support shows as 240mm on the cut calculator when I enter 320mm for my width and length.. Is that right? It seems like that wouldn't be long enough to connect to anything. But the BOM says the Z support front is only required if you're doing front/back screws, so I shouldn't need that piece anyway if I'm doing the side screws option?

5. Matt Mathias

Matt Mathias Well-Known
    Builder

correct

6. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Correct, that section spans the two bed support rails in the Z assembly and not in the main frame.

7. Matt Mathias

Matt Mathias Well-Known
    Builder

@Carl Feniak the capture nut that came with my leadscrews is this, it doesn't look like we have a capture this size, just checking before I design one.

Attached Files:

8. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

I just redesigned the mount for a larger nut I have. I did it in OpenSCAD. If you would like the file to modify for your nut, I can post it.

Carl, I could update the OpenSCAD file where the user could enter the nut size and have it adjust the part, if you are interested.

9. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah, what input parameters are needed to be editable? I haven't looked at other types of this nut design to see what is different between them.
    If you'll create it then I'll add it to the Z axis part folder. I'll also label the two versions we have in there now as per the variable parameters you expose in the script.

10. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

Pretty much what is shown in the diagram above. Looks like 6 different parameters.

11. Matt Mathias

Matt Mathias Well-Known
    Builder

Please, that would be awesome.

12. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

@Matt Mathias @Carl Feniak

Here is the OpenSCAD file. I have set the values to the size in the drawing Matt included. In the file, you can select either the full mount or a test piece. The test piece prints just the ring to test the fit. The values may need to be adjusted some. The opening for the neck of the nut (if that is the right term) and length already has some extra added in. None of the other values do. So best to print just the test piece first before doing the whole thing.

If you have any problems, let me know.

Attached Files:

13. Matt Mathias

Matt Mathias Well-Known
    Builder

This will work great.

One more parameter we should add, number of holes. Mine has 3 spaced at 120 degree increments as opposed to 4 at 90, no biggie I found it and fixed it.

14. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

You got a deformed one huh? ;) I'll add that in and upload the change.

Have you printed out a test piece yet? If so, how well did it fit?

15. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

@Carl Feniak @Matt Mathias

Here is the updated version that allows you to set the number of bolt holes in the flange and an offset angle of the holes.

Hmmm.... Think we might want to change the number of the script and get rid of the work Large. Matt's was even larger than mine. :)

Attached Files:

16. Matt Mathias

Matt Mathias Well-Known
    Builder

not yet, my buildtak sheet showed up so my current printer is being serviced.

17. Clark222

Clark222 New
    Builder

I was looking into getting the parts printed on 3dhub and the prices ranged from $190 to $5000. The cost seemed expensive to me. Is there anybody who sell a preprinted kit? I've been looking and I couldn't find anything.

18. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

Where are you located?

19. trublu832

trublu832 Well-Known
    Builder

yowza, 5000$

Here is a place to possibly put in a request for part printing RepRap Print-It-Forward • /r/reprapPIF

20. Matt Mathias

Matt Mathias Well-Known
    Builder

printed the test, it worked perfectly, even with some pretty bad Z-wobble it fits great.

21. Matt Mathias

Matt Mathias Well-Known
    Builder

what do you want them printed in? Once I am done building mine I would print you a kit for the cost of the PLA and shipping; tip me if you want. I can't promise I will get it done in a couple of days, but I will keep the printer going as best I can. Right now this is 30+ hours of printing at least, and still going.

22. Chris Roadfeldt

Chris Roadfeldt Journeyman
    Builder

+1 for PETG.... :)

I'm really liking Taulman's Tech G, but have printed all my parts in Hatchbox PETG, which I also like.

23. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

That's crazy!
    1) is there a makerspace/protospace in your area?
    2) a 3D print group? Check "meetups" for your area.
    3) all of the plate style prints could be made of wood temporarily (or permanently) to reduce costs
    4) do you live in Alberta. Canada? ;)

24. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Never came across that before, cool. There is even a D-bot request on there too!

25. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

FYI, I added this script to the Z axis folder in the stls.

26. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

Great. Never know how changes like that will work without testing the results.

27. trublu832

trublu832 Well-Known
    Builder

28. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Your's is one of the best looking versions! :) Can you make it? I thought of taking mine to a mini maker fair or even just a printing club meeting, but the wiring is just too shameful. Needs to be completely redone to look better. I have all the wiring needed to do so, but not the time to deticate

cobra93 likes this.
  29. trublu832

trublu832 Well-Known
    Builder

I think I'll go but probably won't bother bringing any hardware. Just going to look around, and hope for some free samples of course.

30. Clark222

Clark222 New
    Builder

Wow Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate the guidance. I live in Orange County, CA so I'll hunt around. The story of this build is that I'm a teacher running a tech lab for middle school kids. I've wanted to build a CNC for personal use for a long time, but I couldn't find right build. I stumbled across the C-Beam, bought the kit, and assembled it. I'm really happy with how easy it went together and how professional it looked (although I haven't even done a cut with it). After seeing how nice the 3D printed collar for the Dewalt 611 turned out I decided that I wanted to build a 3D printer for the students in my class. I can get reimbursed for the parts that the district can order, but I need to pay for the stuff from China and 3d printed parts out of my own pocket (but thats around $400).