Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Bot

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Carl Feniak, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Austin Seagers

Austin Seagers Well-Known
    Builder

Annealed just means that when produced, it was slowly cooled, so that no stresses are left in the material at lower than annealing temp. I'd much rather glass that is stated as annealed, rather than picture frame, or what i was using before... IKEA mirror tiles...

Like i said, borosilicate is extortionately expensive in the UK. Especially when i can get 5 of the panes i just bought for £15 ($22~).

Just heated up to 100DegC, and no issues as expected :)

Carl Feniak likes this.
  2. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Well-Known
    Builder

glad to hear the glass was up to it.
    regarding borosilicate, you might want to try aliexpress.
    found a good price (300 usd) for a 1332x1270 mm sheet, 12 mm thick.
    i'd figure smaller and thinner sheets would cost much less.

3. amcfall

amcfall New
    Builder

Carl-

Do you know what problems he had with the braided line? Just curious. We got a few Fusion3 F306 printers at work ( Core xy with some sort of braided line for XY movement and a belt with triple leadscrews for Y). I was concerned with the line and how it crosses in the back but they are holding up well. One has been in my office for a few months now and now I'm planning on building something similar so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the different Core XY implementations before I start a build (probably Adams triple C).

4. trublu832

trublu832 Well-Known
    Builder

Tried this out because why not.
    I was watching videos of the Form2 and wanted to see if the inverted bed setup worked

#1714 trublu832, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    CapnBry, Carl Feniak and Mark Carew like this.
  5. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

BOM_Rework uploaded... finally. Finshed a 1:30AM last night so please let me know if you see errors. Thanks to @trublu832 as I used some of his part sources.

adamcooks and Balu like this.
  6. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

The reason it is a good choice is it is cheap, durable, and has zero stretch. He had something like 60+lb test. The biggest issue was simply that the printer design he chose was meant for GT2 belts so that parts had to be redesigned. One challenge is the motor drives are cylinders that the line wraps around since there are no teeth like on a belt. The other is running the line through all the pulleys, since it has no stretch it is hard to keep tension on as you route it so it can slip off a grooved wheel. Once setup it works well.
    And to your concern, the line can flex easily so crossing it at the back isn't a big deal.

7. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

haha, why not :) A true test of bed adhesion.

8. Austin Seagers

Builder

Now I've got >24hr printing with each of my two extruders. I thought I'd release the STL's.

Probably not a lot of use to most, as the main goal of the design was to use parts I had lying around, and usually have in decent quantities (heat set inserts are brilliant additions to printed mechanical parts with fasteners).

V/T-slot bowden extruder by austingeorge

#1718 Austin Seagers, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Carl Feniak likes this.
  9. amcfall

amcfall New
    Builder

Thanks Carl.

10. jerry426

jerry426 New
    Builder

I am starting a design based on this. Is there any reason why I should not print all the parts using HIPS ?? I've been using HIPS for other structural parts because, for me, it's much easier to print than ABS - however - before I dive into MANY hours of printing time with all the parts I will need I figured someone here can quickly say yes/no about this.

11. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

You want something that is strong and you can print well. No warping and can handle 45deg overhangs and short bridging.
    I've never used HIPS, but I also don't like ABS for anything sizable. I only print PLA and PETG these days, but would like to try TPU if I put the direct feed extruder on (not relevant to your question).
    If you are happy with the strength of HIPS and can print it well then go for it. Just don't drop your printer in a Limonene solution! ;)

12. jerry426

jerry426 New
    Builder

Carl,
    Thanks for the reply! I will get some PETG and see what it's like. From what I've read about PETG, I may abandon my HIPS idea (even though I already have many spools of it) and use PETG instead.

13. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah, I think PETG is great for structural stuff. The only downsides are that is that it is a bit stringy when printing and that it is actually a bit flexible versus PLA, which is very rigid and comparatively brittle.
    That said, I am not saying to avoid HIPS as I don't have experience with it. Might be good stuff!

14. Austin Seagers

Builder

+1 for PETG.

I and quite a few others printed our parts using it, and it's very strong.

15. AK Eric

AK Eric Journeyman
    Builder

(Modified repost of mine from the "3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews" Google Group), thought maybe I'd get more traction\info here:

----
    Having a problem with Marlin not wanting to print "fast" :

I've been using my c-bot for about 3/4 of a year now with a big fat volcano nozzles strapped to it, which has kept my print speeds under 60mm/sec.
    Mainboard is a Rumba with DRV8825's, and the firmware is Marlin, slice with Simplify3D, print from my SD.

I recently put in a .4mm nozzle to see how the machine would do at a 'higher resolution' & 'faster speeds' : I did some 2cm calibration cubes at 90mm\sec that did fine, and when I pushed it up to 120 mm\sec, there was all sorts of stuttering going on with the brim, so I killed the print. Which is weird, because my Replicator1 with Sailfish does just fine at 120mm\sec (I realize I'm comparing apples and oranges). So I decided to just go with the 90mm\sec for the time being since multiple calibration cubes at that speed did fine.

Started printing out all the parts for a quad-copter frame @200 micron (filling my 12x12" build plate, quite a bit of data per layer), first couple solid layers were printing out just fine. Came back an hour later, and everything had shifted right about 1/8".

I do a lot of printing on this machine, and haven't had any sort of shifting like this before, so I'm wondering if it has to do with the speed? Is something not "keeping up" with the gcode, and it's dropping data?
    I'm going to drop it back to 60mm\sec and try the print again.

But regardless, how can I get this thing to print faster? I did the Rumba\Marlin combo just a "safe" intro to building my new printer, and would love to keep that for the time being. But I'm welcome to other hardware\firmware options as well (do have a spare Due laying around).
    ----

And to this community, it'd be interesting to know what mainboard\firmware combo's people are using?
    Note: I'm now re-printing at 60mm\sec, and no shifting is showing up.

16. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

Could a motor have skipped? Do you have the motor currents high enough?

17. AK Eric

AK Eric Journeyman
    Builder

I've tuned the motor currents with my voltmeter, and done 79 hour prints with the volcano with no symptoms like this, so I don't think that's it. I can re-check them, and possibly push them up a bit more as well to see if that has any impact.

18. AK Eric

AK Eric Journeyman
    Builder

HA, sooooo...
    I just killed my Rumba trying to "fix" it. I'd be very interested now to hear what mainboard\firmware combo's people are using successfully \ are happy with.
    * Rumba + Marlin
    * azteeg x3 + Sailfish
    * ?

19. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Well-Known
    Builder

smoothieboard, comes with its own firmware.
    i'm currently putting it thru the paces as i'm cold testing my printer these days.

20. Ashley Smith

Builder

Hey guys,

Can an anyone help?

I previously purchased a "stock" printer, which never worked from the start (''twas a makibox), so I have started to build a C-bot!

I have gathered most of the parts required and started to build the frame (however) I've become a little stuck on the printed parts... With my current "printer" I'm not able to print anything (wobbly z axis, print head/feed fails constantly and Perspex frame is failing... Worse is that there are no available spares for the printer!, basically I made a mistake and didn't do my research!)

I was wondering if anyone who is UK based would be able to print me the parts required as low cost as possible?

Any help would be most appreciated (I'm not asking for anything free! Just as low cost as possible).

I'm contactable on my email (email address removed by mod - use PM to contact.)

Many thanks
    Ash

#1730 Ashley Smith, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2016
  21. Chris Roadfeldt

Chris Roadfeldt Journeyman
    Builder

BeagleBone Black / Cramps - Machinekit
    BeagleBone Black / Replicape - Machinekit / Redeem

22. AK Eric

AK Eric Journeyman
    Builder

@Chris Roadfeldt : Thanks. I presume by you posting that you're experiencing "good" results out of that combo? I thought about jumping on the replicape bandwagon a while back, but it seemed like Redeem was just so new, didn't seem safe ;) thoughts?

23. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

I started out trying to use a Smoothie board and let's just say things didn't go as smooth as I expected. It is a good board, but the firmware is a bit lacking compared to others.

I then used a Duet 0.8.5 board. Great board and really good firmware. I originally got it for my delta printer I am working on, but when I put that printer on the back burner for a bit, used in on the C-Bot.

Now that I am getting ready to start working on the delta again, I was going to need a new controller for that. Thought about it a bit and decided to go with a Printrbot Printrboard on the C-Bot since it really didn't need the 32bit power and I have an OctoPi to hook up to it. Still getting it connected up right now. One thing about the version of Marlin that is used is that for CoreXY, all endstops have to be at the minimum position. That actually worked out better for me in my wiring.

24. AK Eric

AK Eric Journeyman
    Builder

FYI, that's not what I've experienced: I can configure my Marlin to use min or max homing just fine. I ended up changing my Y position (from back\max to front\min) a little while after I'd first assembled the bot. Didn't have any issues updating the FW. 2c
    Thanks for your other info too :)

25. Chris Roadfeldt

Chris Roadfeldt Journeyman
    Builder

Too early to tell on both really. I am still tinkering around with both of them. I have the utmost confidence in Machinekit. It's my primary choice as it's been around in various forms for years driving real machines. Real as in, much more dangerous and exacting systems than a little ole 3d printer. It has the credentials, but it also has a learning curve. That said, there are some wrappers / interfaces for it that are geared more for 3d printing and the learning curve is shrinking. I have machinekit partially running with my C-Bot now. The C-Bot project has been idled for a bit, but will pick it back up and finish it up in March.

Redeem, I have the same concerns you have. Would like to see it mature a bit more. I've had my replicape a4a for almost a year now. It has yet to drive an actual print, mostly due to me not taking the time to fully configure it and tweak it to run on any of my printers. I attempted to last spring, but the 8825 drivers caused my steppers to squeal loudly. I believe it has to do with the decay method, but didn't have time to research it more or attempt to change it properly. Had a marlin / RAMPs config ready to go, dropped it in and was printing minutes later. I do plan to test the replicape more with both redeem and machinekit later this spring. My experience with redeem's primary developer, Elias Bakken, is that he is comitted to making it work well and is responsive to concerns and questions. So if you have any, reach out to him via his website / wiki. Perhaps my experience is out of date.

26. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

What kind of quadcopter are you looking to build? Be careful... I am working on my third!
    My OB1.4 had similar issues the last time I used it (haven't fixed it as I just used my C-bot instead). Basically it shifted layers and made a straight vertical look a bit S like. Not a rapid or single shift. I suspect that I need to tune all the steppers on this printer and that they are overheating, but I am not sure as I haven't revisited the issue. Is it possible that they can go out of tune and require periodic adjustment? Do you have a fan on your stepper drivers? If not, add a decent size one blowing on drivers as a test to see if you have the same issues printing the brim. I know you have the acceleration clamped so it isn't that causing missed steps.

27. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Just took a look at the forum link you send. Sucks that it fried. I've done that with some of my quadcopter stuff. Interesting conversation on the firmware and microstepping issues. I should do a test print on my C-bot with the speeds ramped up in slicer rather than my % speed adjustment to see if I get a similar issue (since I am using 32 micro stepping as well).

28. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

Things may have changed in newer versions of Marlin, but the version used with the Printrboard has this little check in Configuration.h...

// Disable max endstops for compatibility with endstop checking routine
    #if defined(COREXY) && !defined(DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS)
    #define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS
    #endif

It's a bit away from the COREXY define so I didn't see it and for each endstop I defined to use MAX, that endstop didn't show up in the M119 status. I hope they have removed that constraint by now.

29. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

I remember this from when I first setup my printer. Caused me to avoid using max endstops, however like you've suggested, later releases of Marlin did away with the restriction.

30. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

That's good to hear. I stuck with the original version Printrbot used mainly for the M212 command that I have heard is not part of the main Marlin code (http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M212:_Set_Bed_Level_Sensor_Offset). I might update to a newer version after I get everything working if the M212 has been added. But for the most part, the board has everything needed, aside from some spare 12v connection points for some fans. And the price is pretty reasonable compared to other similar boards.