Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Bot

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Carl Feniak, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Muh_3d

Muh_3d New
    Builder

I think you have a very nice build going.. Was wondering want program you are using to create your parts.
    I am at the moment printing my parts for my c-bot and would like to see if I could tweak your supports abit. And look at your direct drive. Would you share your original files and the stls? I was also wondering how you plan on water cooling your hotend, And extruder motor...I have seen a few different methods.. I plan on using an enclosure too. Thanks for more inspiration!

2. AK Eric

AK Eric Journeyman
    Builder

I don't (although I've experimented with it in the past). What you describe sounds like a funny, yet super annoying side effect of that behavior though. I've done some also on a timer, where they just snap a pic ever 60 seconds, which would resolve this issue.

3. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

I have been using the timer, but can never get the smooth look that the layer trigger gives. Might have to turn off the Z lift on time-lapse videos when I do them.

4. Balu

Balu Well-Known
    Builder

Is it possible that the heated bed draws too much power so that the steppers don't have enough to run smoothly? The bed switches on and off to not overheat, so it might be stable for a long time unless it has to heat again later in a print.

5. trublu832

trublu832 Well-Known
    Builder

For my issue, Im running my heated bed via a relay so the steppers and bed are independently drawing power from a supply with plenty of margin. I didn't hear the steppers skipping or running abnormally.

The problem seems to be mainly on overhangs that sit right above the bed, possibly just too much heat coming up into the overhang sections. The rest of the print goes ok.

6. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

The heated bed is supplied from a separate power supply. The supply for the stepper motors has plenty of excess power available.

7. Curiosichi

Builder

I don't remember where I collected these photos, but I have a few reference shots for how I will water cool my v6.

fig9_zpsbbc60ae3.jpg
    fig10_zps0a7ee9a5.jpg
    version2_zps59a66ce6.jpg

fig14_zps54b29991.jpg

Seems pretty straight forward to me, hopefully this helps to explain ^^

The stepper motor will initially be cooled by a generic CPU cooler block which can be had for less than 10 bucks off ebay. This will have to work until I get my CNC up and running and be able to mil a new end cap for the stepper motors. With the X and Y outside the enclosure, and the Z under a floor (which I'd thermally insulate) the only motor I have to worry about is a direct drive extruder motor. I don't see the point of bowden here as there are just not any benefits to me when the point of this printer is high precision > speed. All of my stepper motors, even my NEMA 23s, are all mounted with metal/rubber damper pads so that keeps their heat off my printed parts as well, but if I find they run too hot for some reason, the radiator is more than capable of handling them. From my research, you don't even need one to begin with. The reason I will be is a) over kill, and b) part of my "water reservoir". In all setups I've found with water cooling hot ends, they had a large water tub with a submersible pump. Since I won't have a large volume of water, and I want this to be an all enclosed package, I opted for the active cooling: a PC water cooling reservoir, swifttech pump, and the radiator.

If you are a water cooled PC geek like me, it is the same setup as your PC.

bf6fc433c623.jpg

All of my parts are created in blender. Here is a shot of my (in progress) Z platform mount fitted for a ball screw nut in the center.

12333936_1060049980685804_576195518_o.jpg

I am positive there are likely much faster modeling programs out there, but this is just a program I have years of experience with and works just fine!

As to my supports, they are far from done. I know for a fact I still haven't normalized the sizes of all the supports. I have .5mm spacing on the 20x20 at 20.5mm, which meant I had put the 20x40 extrusion at 21.0mm. The 21mm is a bit too loose fitting but if I didn't the 20x20 wouldn't line up perfectly. So I have some decisions to make there for a final spec. Also some of the thicknesses of the corners were at 3mm, others were at 4mm when I found it not strong enough. I figured out about half way through modeling the supports the way I really liked them and haven't gone back yet to fix the initial models.

Untitled.jpg

You can see some of the corners have gone through several iterations already, others are still on a v1.

The enclosure will require the back side of all of them to be cut off so that a single sheet of whatever you are enclosing with can lay flat against the aluminum 20x40 extrusion. As they are now, I am limited to an open build, which is fine since things are still changing height and stuff. Din will initially begin life as an open air printer for its first prints. Once I have wire management complete and I know my exact and final placements, the enclosure will begin.

The same state could be said for the direct drive extruder. I've printed the extruder once and looks like it will work, but I haven't printed with or even pushed filament with a stepper motor through it yet. It's still very much "alpha" stage.

Here is a better picture from the flexystruder assembly instructions (which I am unable to upload here due to file type) to show how the filament never leaves the tube, making it much better than the current c bot direct drive version. I also think the eccentric spacers will add a good amount of stability that any c bot maker should utilize.

Untitled.png

Din's version, while still an alpha, I think is much more suited to be tested if you got eccentric spacers and full size wheels. If you have any feedback or revisions, I'd love to see them. If it proves functionally working, I'd want to clean up the central direct drive gear and tubing guide to make it look smoother, call that a beta, and get a finalized version shortly after that.

**Do note that your printer will need to be able to bridge 45mm pretty easily to do most of my prints. That is the only way to get a full enclosed corner support done across a 20x40mm v slot. The extuder here only has a 23mm bridge, but just note you'll have to have a decently calibrated 3d printer. A few bridge test stls can be found on thingiverse that can help you get dialed in if you need to.**

The corner stls, by contrast to the extruder, are just so messed up today that I would feel ashamed sharing them in their current state. Once I get some more time to get them cleaned up, I'll get those shared asap.

Attached Files:

#1297 Curiosichi, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    AK Eric likes this.
  8. trublu832

trublu832 Well-Known
    Builder

For those of us without octoprint, there are still ways to get time-lapse videos!

Attached Files:

Raldan and AK Eric like this.
  9. Raldan

Raldan New
    Builder

Here's mine using a handycam (6hrs) to After Effects using Timewarp.

10. AK Eric

AK Eric Journeyman
    Builder

Pro use of popsicle sticks there ;)

11. Raldan

Raldan New
    Builder

I learned from the best! :)

12. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

That looks like a great option. Much lighter than a ungeared Nema 17 and at a very reasonable price. That is the reason I've not designed for a geared stepper is that I found they were so pricey. High gear ratio will slow down retracts, but a small price to pay for the lower direct feed carriage weight. Any one else get one of these?
    Will have to take into account two bolt mount for cantilevered forces on its shaft. Would of preferred if they had three mounts.

13. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Sounds like a plan, let me know when you are up and running happily on one extruder. Then if you any preferences on ideas for the dual direct feed & drive hotend I'll try to combine them with the obvious duplication of my other design. You may also want to consider a geared stepper to reduce weight, but I'll only do that if you have one in mind to design for as they typically mount differently then a NEMA17.

Muh_3d likes this.
  14. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks for sharing, very interesting stuff! Yeah with the beefed up sizes of builds I think a set of beefed up brackets would be useful. I'll try to work on a set the works with the mini-Vs.
    Some of my goals in the original design were to make the brakets compact and easy to print. That is why they don't have a large "stance" or completely surround the extrusion like your modified ones.
    Keep us in the loop and share your build once you're happy with it. If you want any specific advice the folks on the openbuilds site are happy to help.
    Also, thanks for pointing out the Replicape, never came across it before.

15. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Different beds run hotter or cooler at the actual print surface as often the thermistor is on the underside of the glass or sometime the underside of the heater itself. The glass itself can have a vareiety of thickenesses too. As a result, there can be a large temperature gradient from the thermister to bed surface.
    You can try lowering your bed temp. I'll run 5-10C hotter on the first layer than drop the bed temp.
    For you, try 55 then drop to 50 after the first layer. (or 60 then 55)
    Also, you can also turn your fan on after the first layer. Especially with that part as the curve creates an immediate strong overhang.

16. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

These look great BUT a word of warning:
    Don't over tighten with these! The reduced contact area of the nut to aluminum versus the T-nut can easily result in deformation of the much softer aluminum rail.

17. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

And blue painters tape make a great surface for and unheated bed with PLA.

Raldan likes this.
  18. AK Eric

AK Eric Journeyman
    Builder

2c : I started using BPT on my 12"x12" glass: I found that on large prints with large contact area, the pla would stick so well to the tape, that when it would warp, it would actually pull the tape off the platform along the tap seams, crazy! (actually I've seen this same issue on my smaller Replicator1 as well) That's why I moved to the woodglue slurry, that hasn't done me wrong to cents. YMMV.

19. Ariel Yahni

Ariel Yahni OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Guys what do you make of these? I printed a bunch of cubes and they all have blubs almost reaching each corner. Now I tested a cylinder and it looks like this. Any suggestions

Attached Files:

20. Muh_3d

Muh_3d New
    Builder

@Curiosichi
    I thought that this extruder was a pretty good option. Uses a NEMA 11 geared I think 521.

Here are some screenshots of the video I would like to maybe make something like this it would be lightweight and two of them with Direct drive might be possible.
    Screenshot_20151206-111132 | OpenBuilds
    Screenshot_20151206-111101 | OpenBuilds

#1310 Muh_3d, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Carl Feniak likes this.
  21. Muh_3d

Muh_3d New
    Builder

I water cool my CPU too. And I've seen some different ideas on how to cool the stepper motors and hot end. Screenshot_20151206-111708.png
    I saw some people using this for their hot end and some CPU aluminum blocks for there stepper motors similar to what you had on your pictures. In another post just before this I have some pictures and a YouTube video other pretty cool extruder use an anema 11 stepper motor. It looks pretty light and could be replicated pretty easily I think. Really nice compact and simple design. At the moment I'm working on ceramic Delta printer that I'm just working the kinks out of.
    IMG_20151201_095147.jpg IMG_20151130_211904.jpg

Then I'm going to start on this c-bot... I'm working on a simple design extruder for the ceramic that will use and other run by a stepper motor to be able to stop and start the clay extrusion. At the moment it's just running on air. I've only had to print so far.
    Can't wait to get started on the sea but I have a lot of ideas that I would like to try like everyone else here.
    Sorry if my post seems so sporadic but I'm talking into my phone trying to hurry up and do these posts and sometimes I don't check what is coming out. Lol

Curiosichi and Mark Carew like this.
  22. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Looks like there is some play somewhere that is allowing slight shifts in the XY plane layer alignment. This could be the an issue somewhere in the belt system or the frame/bed supports. Could also be over extrusion.

#1312 Carl Feniak, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  23. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Tis the season...
    Didn't have the Z height for the 100% scale version so rather than reduce the size and risk the antlers being too thin I just split the model. Chose to split it low at the belly so the seam would be less obvious (as opposed to a mid body split someone remixed and shared on thingiverse).
    Turned out decent, but wish I had used a bit lower nozzle temp for the antlers to help with the overhangs. Might try another print with less perimeters and infill. Maybe 10-20% larger as well.
    IMG_1507.JPG IMG_1505.JPG

#1313 Carl Feniak, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Muh_3d and AK Eric like this.
  24. trublu832

trublu832 Well-Known
    Builder

This seems like a good enough bandwagon.

deerr.JPG

#1314 trublu832, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Krishnakumar, Karasu, Muh_3d and 3 others like this.
  25. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Nice, what was your nozzle temp at?

26. trublu832

trublu832 Well-Known
    Builder

200C
    White PLA

27. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Yep, that was my problem. Just running too hot.

28. trublu832

trublu832 Well-Known
    Builder

200 seems to be the magic number for the different colors of hatchbox PLA I've been using, except silver, which always has difficulties for some reason.

Muh_3d likes this.
  29. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Alright, due to the popularity of the 12"x12" build (and lack of 8"x12" interest), I am thinking of updating all the stls to be more robust and accommodate/consolidate some of the printer improvements that have evolved over the last 45 pages of discussion. Here is a list of items I am thinking of including. Looking for feedback on any missings/alterations/suggestions before I start.

-Updated bottom brackets, try to stick with a plate design if possible (for printabilty and potentially laser or CNC cut options once V insert portion is removed) @lots of people!
    -Bottom front/back extrusion elevated 20mm to allow flush X motor mounts for easier printer enclosure on bottom (do people want this or is this a negative? will add/consume 20mm of extrusion per corner)
    ----modified Z motor mounts to sit flush with top of extrusion
    ----these will allow a plate to be put across the entire bottom once rectangular Z motor cutouts are made
    -Angled side braces I alluded to many posts ago. Will use extrusion and go in each side from the rear bottom corner to mid/upper front corner (thinking a 30-45 degree angle but will need to visualize better first)
    ----this mod will also include a new filament spool mount the attaches to this cross member + space to account for a side enclosure?
    ----also needs a filament guide for the direct feed extruder at the spool end
    -Z axis, standard 20x60 rear bracket with @AK Eric front back motor mount arrangement (may need some of your measurements!)
    -Updated upper XY motor mounts to be stronger and incorporate front upper horizontal
    ----front bar dropped 20-40mm to improve visibility for first layer printing (dumb idea?)
    -Updated XY idler bracket similar to the D-bots @trublu832
    -Updated XY endstops mounts
    ----one on frame
    ----one on back of extruder carriage (use @adamcooks endstop or a more readily available one?)
    -Updated extrusion length calculator
    ----optimized Z for lead screw utilization & make sure it works with volcano and lite
    ----need changes to front/back distance?
    -Updated BOM
    ----someone shared some better flexible couplings that avoid the spring effect
    ----confusion about changes in Open Builds store (shims)
    ----prices

LOTS of work, sure I am missing stuff too!

#1319 Carl Feniak, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  30. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

When calculating for the size, plan for a 300mm x 300mm work area, but design for around 310 x 310. One thing I found when looking for build plates and print surfaces for my 300x200 is that doesn't seem to be a popular size. Things went from 200x200 to 300x300 so I can see why there was a lack of interest in the 300x200.

One change I have been thinking of adding to my printer for the direct drive is some sort of spool mount on the top of the printer. I had some ideas for possible mounts, but nothing finalized.

Were you going to go with 3 screws or stick with two and move the motors to a cross beam?