Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Bot

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Carl Feniak, Sep 29, 2014.

1. ruggb

ruggb Well-Known
    Builder

I have just discovered that the endstop bd a lot of ppl seem to be using is messed up. This may be why it does not work on some systems. Look at the how it is pic.
    endstop how it is.jpg
    When inactive +5v is connected directly to the signal pin. The 10K resistor is totally shorted out. When it activates there is 10K in parallel with the diode ckt to gnd. The capacitor is also useless for debounce since there is no time constant when it is bouncing on 5V. When homed there is 3.3K in parallel with 3 diode ckts. When the sw activates it swings from hard +5v, to limited +5v, to Ground and this effect is felt on all 3 signal inputs to some extent. Between this and no debounce do u wonder why it doesn't work.
    U can make it as in the Should be pic (IMHO) by cutting the switch NC lead and placing a jumper from the switch NC lead to the diode/resistor junction (very carefully near edge of bd).
    endstop should be.jpg

u can remove the 10K smd if u need it elsewhere as it is not doing anything now. U can also just cut the NC lead on the sw, but if it is a low Z input it may light the LED somewhat and it won't be exactly as it SHOULD be but MUCH better. At least the debounce ckt will function.
    Sorry I left the cap out of the last ckt.

2. ruggb

ruggb Well-Known
    Builder

here is a pic of my "fix"

Attached Files:

adamcooks likes this.
  3. adamcooks

adamcooks Well-Known
    Builder

well this took long enough.

shinybro and Carl Feniak like this.
  4. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

I just installed my hot end carriage (using the dual one) and there is some vertical play of about 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch. I can lift it up and feel the space. Is this normal? I noticed the top of the pieces have an elongated mounting hole and figured they were there to deal with this. But I have them all the way at the bottom and there is still some vertical play in it.

5. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Two possibilities here:
    1) The hotend on the right purposely has extra play so that it can be levelled with the other (left) hotend. How does it fit on the left location?
    2) The groove mount dimensions in your hotend is different then mine. The mount on the left fits an E3D and pico hotend well. I haven't put my J-head in it though. I had a rip off V5 E3D and it had a much looser fit then my J-head in my other printer.
    A benefit of the clamping method of mounting is that a slightly looser fit can be accommodated for. Just be consistent in whether you are fitting it to the top of bottom before tightening.

6. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

It's not the hot end mounting that is loose. It is the carriage on the XY bar that is loose.

7. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Oh, misread that. That seems weird, can you post a pic? The slots should have enough range to take up the gap that was designed in.

8. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

I can take a picture, but don't think it will really show much. I was planning on switching to a Chimera later so will try printing the single version and see if it fits any better. But you did answer my question. There shouldn't be that much slop in it.

9. Miertam

Miertam New
    Builder

I found these http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21894 They are for 20x20 extrusion but can be made to work with 20x40
    Thanks Mike

Carl Feniak likes this.
  10. sheffdog

sheffdog New
    Builder

Here is the chimera carriage mount with larger filament holes to access the couplings, and now also the correct orientation with elongated holes on the bottom.

Attached Files:

11. ruggb

ruggb Well-Known
    Builder

U may have them on backwards or one up-side-down- easy to do if u r not looking like I did. Both sides need the ramps across from each other and on the outside. I found that the ramp was sort of self adjusting. But I put the ramp on top. Easier to get to for adj. I pushed up with my fingers and down with my thumb on the top wheel and tightened while holding the hex tool with my other hand. really, a three handed job. well u can work it out for only 2 hands.

12. bhalkett

bhalkett New
    Builder

Here is the modified E3d Cyclops/Chimera carriage mount that I came up with (meaning I modified Carl's design). It seems to work well when made out of ABS. The actual hotend on the other end seems to jam if you look at it wrong.

Attached Files:

sheffdog likes this.
  13. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

Okay. Took it apart and noticed there was some extra material in the slots. Cleaned that out and was able to get them tight on the bar. Maybe too tight? It slides, but there is some resistance. Not like the X/Y bar itself. Not a big deal right now. Not doing the final assembly yet.

14. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

How is that B'Struder working out for you? Looking over different ones trying to decide on a design.

15. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

If you can do the pyramid that well (very consistent layers, sharp corners, no artifacts) you should be able to do the vases/T-rex skull that well too. They are likely just done with a very low layer height. Maybe sub 0.1mm even?
    I just dropped my nozzle temp by 5C and am getting MUCH better surfaces then before. I had cranked it up when printing really fast and never pulled it back.

#555 Carl Feniak, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  16. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

Carl, was building the extruders you link to and got them all build except for the spring. Where did you get the ones you used? Could you give me the measurements?

17. bhalkett

bhalkett New
    Builder

Sorry, I missed your post...I haven't done a lot of printing on my C-Bot. Mostly just fiddling around with different things. With that said, I'm pretty happy with the B'Struder with the MK8 hobbed gear. It seems to have plenty of torque and it's pretty easy to load and unload the filament.

18. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

It was one from a pack of random springs from PM hobby craft. The benefit of the adjustable idler is you can adjust the tension based on the filament or spring constant. The spring needs to fit over an M5 bolt (you could really use an M4 with washers if prefered) and be stiff enough to give you the drive force required.
    Mine is 18mm long and 8mm in diameter.

Here is a set of assorted ebay springs:
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150pc-Assort...105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9bbb4081
    Which has these: 10 piece 7.1 x 19.1mm

#558 Carl Feniak, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  19. Elmo Clarity

Elmo Clarity Journeyman
    Builder

One other question about your extruder. How does the pneumatic coupling attach? Is it just sitting loose on the top? There doesn't seem to be any place for it to physically attach unless you glue it on.

20. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

I designed it to be drilled out to the right size depending on what size coupling you have. I retrospect I should have just designed two different sizes. Below is a pic of a 3/8" and 5mm coupling.
    This idea was to just drill a hole deep enough for you threads then tap or just thread in the coupling. If just threading it into the plastic it helps to flash heat the top with a lighter to soften the plastic and get the top threads going.
    IMG_1166.JPG

21. ruggb

ruggb Well-Known
    Builder

I finally have my baby powered and All motors are running AND in the proper direction, all endstops are working on the proper axis. I am using a modified version of Carl's firmware. Steppers have a current rating of 1.5A so I set the A8825 driver voltage to 0.750+_0.010. I have three issues maybe someone knows about.
    1. Each axis homes perfectly by itself. When I do a home all, the X & Y home simultaneously in a diagonal and the endstops do not function - I must hit EMERCENCY STOP to stop it. If I pull 12v (USB plugged in) then reapply it, it just continues to try to home.

2. None of the motors will run from the home position or any other position. The only thing I can do is home them.

3. The Z axis runs EXTREMELY slow while homing - maybe 25mm/MIN. I have 3 screws and 1 motor, each with 36T pulley and GT2 belt.

I am using Repetier to control it. I am expecting a home all to run one axis at a time. Is that not the way it works???
    Obviously, IMHO, it is a firmware issue. But I am at a loss here. I am defining X as left 2 right and I am calling front the side with the IDLERs.
    Home is front left. The left X endstop is on the carriage, the front Y endstop is on the frame. The Z endstop is on the frame.
    This is what I have that I think may be relevant: BOLD are my changes/additions

// Uncomment the following line to enable CoreXY kinematics
    #define COREXY

#define INVERT_X_DIR false// for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true //** false for XY w/ front idlers
    #efine INVERT_Y_DIR false// for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false //** false for XY w/ front idlers
    #define INVERT_Z_DIR true// for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true //** true for XY w/ front idlers

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
    // Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
    #define X_HOME_DIR -1
    #define Y_HOME_DIR -1
    #define Z_HOME_DIR -1
    #define min_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
    #define max_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.

// Travel limits after homing
    #define X_MAX_POS 305 //**
    #define X_MIN_POS 0
    #define Y_MAX_POS 305 //**
    #define Y_MIN_POS 0
    #define Z_MAX_POS 305 //**
    #define Z_MIN_POS 0
    #define X_MAX_LENGTH (X_MAX_POS - X_MIN_POS)
    #define Y_MAX_LENGTH (Y_MAX_POS - Y_MIN_POS)
    #define Z_MAX_LENGTH (Z_MAX_POS - Z_MIN_POS)

//// MOVEMENT SETTINGS
    #define NUM_AXIS 4 // The axis order in all axis related arrays is X, Y, Z, E
    #define HOMING_FEEDRATE {50*60, 50*60, 50*60, 0} // set the homing speeds (mm/min)

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {200.0*32/16/2,200.0*32/16/2,200.0*32/36/2,200*32/3.14/6.42}
    // unit=mm {X.Y,Z,E} {200_step_motor*microstepping/pulley_T/belt_pitch,
    //** I have no idea why it is set at 32 microstepping but it seems to work with either 16 or 32// changed to reflect Z axis belt drive w/36T pulley and 2mm belt however, it works the same with original 200.0*32/8//**

// Set to TRUE to disable axis when it's not being used. //** clarity
    #define DISABLE_X false
    #define DISABLE_Y false
    #define DISABLE_Z false
    #define DISABLE_E false // For all extruders
    #define DISABLE_INACTIVE_EXTRUDER true //disable only inactive extruders and keep active extruder enabled

#define INVERT_X_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true //** false for XY
    #define INVERT_Y_DIR false // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false //** false for XY
    #define INVERT_Z_DIR true // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true //** true for XY

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
    // Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
    #define X_HOME_DIR -1
    #define Y_HOME_DIR -1
    #define Z_HOME_DIR -1

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {200.0*32/16/2,200.0*32/16/2,200.0*32/8,200*32/3.14/6.42}
    // unit=mm {X.Y,Z,E} {200_step_motor*microstepping/pulley_T/belt_pitch
    //** I have no idea why it is set at 32 microstepping but it seems to work with either 16 or 32
    // changed to reflect Z axis belt drive w/36T pulley and 2mm belt (Z = 200.0*32/36/2 ) but original seems to work as well//**

#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 5, 25} // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000}
    // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000
    // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
    #define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000
    // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

// Offset of the extruders (uncomment if using more than one and relying on firmware to position when changing).
    // The offset has to be X=0, Y=0 for the extruder 0 hotend (default extruder).
    // For the other hotends it is their distance from the extruder 0 hotend.
    #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_X {0.0, 30.0} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the X axis // uncommented & chg //**
    #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_Y {0.0, 0.0} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the Y axis // uncommented & chg //**

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
    #define DEFAULT_XYJERK 20.0 // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)

22. bhalkett

bhalkett New
    Builder

@ruggb-

Issue #1...might be caused by QUICK_HOME being defined (uncommented) in the configuration_adv.h file. QUICK_HOME causes the X & Y axis to be homed simultaneously.
    Issue #2...do the motors move before you home them?
    Issue #3...Can you describe when your pulleys are located (e.g. 36T on stepper, ??T on each threaded rod...etc.)

You do know that Carl has is X/Y axis rotated because the version of Marlin he is using homes the X axis first...

23. ruggb

ruggb Well-Known
    Builder

They all home X first, don't they. But I think he defines his X axis as front to back which is why he rotates it. He also has to consider his endstops b/c if he homes one first it will rip out the other endstop when that homes. Mine is left 2 right and and my endstops don't interfere with each other. That part is working correctly.

I think I have an idea to the no movement issue. I just tried it on my 2UP. If the extruder thermistor is not connected the motors don't move. I have the extruder therms connected but not the hotbed. I need to try disabling the hb. wait one. ... chgd the MB to 35 instead of 34 and disabled the thermistor for the hb but it still doesn't move except for a home operation. I have both therms for the hotends connected. I think I verified that they r indeed connected but the pullup swamps out the thermistor. I'm showing 5K to grd.
    seems strange to me since the pullup is to 5v. but it is similar on the 2up.

Disabled Quick_home and that solved the all home issue EXCEPT that I need to figure out why the endstops don't work with quickhome.

thx for the reply

24. bhalkett

bhalkett New
    Builder

No they don't all home to X first. I believe Repetier firmware let's you configure the homing order. I've modified the latest version of Marlin to allow me to home to Max Y first. It's working fine for me and X & Y zero are in my front left corner where I (my preference) want them.

I believe you can set bed and hotend minimum temps to zero. Are you using Pronterface? If so I think it will show min temp errors.

25. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

@ruggb
    If you have all the jumpers in place with the DRV8825s you get 32 micro steps versus 16 you get with the 4988s.
    1) Sounds like you've figured out the homing issue.
    2) I can't see anything in your posted config that would cause your motors not to move after homing. You've defined your axis max's as 305. Did you define these in pronterface as well? I believe it has these restrictions duplicated within. Your default steps appear twice, but I assume that is a copy paste error into the forum.
    3) For the Z movement, what is the pitch of your lead screw? Mine is 8mm per rev which is fairly steep. Are you using pronterface? I think you can request a speed for the movements. Maybe it is set really low?
    (I haven't use pronterface in over a year).

26. ruggb

ruggb Well-Known
    Builder

mine is 8 lead 2 pitch == same as urs I would say. U can set movement speed in gcode but I am just using the Repetier circle. The speed settings in Repetier r for the slicer, right? There is a default steps/unit but I have not seen a speed setting in marlin. How fast is urs running?

27. ruggb

ruggb Well-Known
    Builder

Sorry - I lost 3/4 of my reply when I clkd POST

28. ruggb

ruggb Well-Known
    Builder

OK - I redid the post and it cut it off again - I'll retry later

29. ruggb

ruggb Well-Known
    Builder

I don't know what is wrong with this forum but I tried to answer 2x and it only posted one paragraph each time. hopefully this will work.

Anyway, the movement problem was the thermistor definitions. It won't run AT ALL with thermistors defined and not connected -- EXCEPT to home. My 2up works the same. I set all to 0 and it runs now.
    I also configured a virgin copy of Marlin 1.0.2 and the speed is what I would expect now. I have not tried to compare the files to find the issue yet. It now takes 1:18 to home Z from 305mm. I am going to try to speed that up. X&Y r about 6 sec -

The home all issue is something in the config files. The clean copy I set up is working with quickhome. neat.

ONE small problem with Carl's Marlin file
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {200.0*32/16/2,200.0*32/16/2,200.0*32/8,200*32/3.14/6.42} // unit=mm {X.Y,Z,E} {200_step_motor*microstepping/pulley_T/belt_pitch , 200_step_motor*microstepping/pulley_T/belt_pitch ,

pulley_T / belt_pitch is wrong..... it yeilds [T/rev]/[mm/T] = T2/[rev*mm] and obviously a bad #
    it should be pulley_T * belt_pitch which yeilds [T/rev]*[mm/T] = rev/mm
    which makes
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {200.0*32/16*2,200.0*32/16*2,200.0*32/8,200*32/3.14/6.42}
    or
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {200,200,800,200*32/3.14/6.42}
    I think those 3 numbers r good for any std CBOT as Carl designed it.
    For Z, mine is basically a direct drive with 1 motor & 3 screws giving 8mm/turn on the screws so the # is the same.

if the extruder uses an MK8 pulley and the same motor/driver that number is 290.91 (I measured +-22mm / turn)
    Since that is what is spec'd in the design I am not sure where his E numbers came from which is 317.48

SOON to be printing - I'm excited - Thanks Carl and all who have helped.
    OH BTW - I am calling mine a CCBOT (CompactCBOT) as I was able to strip about 2 in off the width and still have 305x305x305.
    I still need to design my product fan assy. I hope I can make it fit.

Carl Feniak likes this.
  30. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

You are forgetting your brackets but we are using the same numbers after you reduce the formula to a single number.
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {200.0*32/(16*2),200.0*32/(16*2),200.0*32/8,200*32/3.14/6.42}
    which is equivalent to:
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {200.0*32/16/2,200.0*32/16/2,200.0*32/8,200*32/3.14/6.42}

For the extruder I am getting similar (3.14*6.42)=20.15mm of filament per rotation.
    I started out closer to you but did some tuning. Called for 100mm of filament, measured the actual delivered. Adjusted the 6.42 portion by the ratio.