Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C beam Wheels Not Sliding Smoothly

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by John Morrow, Apr 3, 2020.

1. John Morrow

Builder

Hello,

I made an XY gantry for hand placement of electronic components using 20 x 40mm V slot linear rail. The plates move like butter. Couldn't be better. I am only moving them by hand not by motor.

I changed to C beams and have problems with stiffness. The wheels don't move nearly as smoothly. I am using the same wheels, spacers, eccentrics, shims, and even the same universal plate (though in different holes). Can anyone tell me why this is happening? This even happens using 1 plate on 1 c beam and not connected to anything else.

Thanks.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Some pictures of the setup may be helpful?
    Same wheels: That's usually the prime suspect if its different wheels (forgot shim between bearing, etc) but if there are the exact same ones...
    Eccentrics: Properly adjusted? (readjust whenever changing beams out - tolerances differ)
    Stackup: 100% sure all shims etc are the same (feel if wheels feel rough when turned with just plate in hand)

3. John Morrow

Builder

Thanks for the response! It ended up being an issue with the universal plate itself. It must be slightly off. I milled out a couple of custom plates from cast acrylic and the smoothness problem went away. Sometimes you have to change the least obvious things.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.