Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Project C-Beam RIDE Boot 2022-12-07

This is an adjustable height dust boot that attaches directly to a Z-axis C-beam.

1. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

Scotty Orr submitted a new resource:

C-Beam RIDE Boot - This is an adjustable height dust boot that attaches directly to a Z-axis C-beam.

Read more about this resource...

2. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

If you decide to build a RIDE boot for yourself and have a different router (than my Makita), you should check the dimensions of your collet nut. I only have the Makita and I don't know if the RoutER11 or the DeWalt have the same size nuts. The design gives the Makita ~1.3mm clearance around the spinning nut.

#2 Scotty Orr, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The RoutER11 should be compatible. The collet nut wrench will not work on my other machine with a Makita because it is too small. ;) Also, I thank you for saving me work. I was thinking of designing and building some thing similar since my previous dust boot is out of commission. Also, I wanted a see through design. I did not like my solid colored 3D printed design.

Scotty Orr likes this.
  4. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

My previous design was also all 3D printed and I hated that I couldn't see what was going on. I've been cutting a lot of acrylic lately (for other things) and the old boot just didn't handle acrylic chips well at all and they stuck to everything! So far I'm very happy with this one.

5. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

I should also mention: if you have an OB led light ring, the wiring port will probably collide with this boot. You may want to cut out an extra notch in the side plate on that side.

Giarc likes this.
  6. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

Demo video added to the Overview page.

Giarc and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  7. gregers05

gregers05 Well-Known
    Builder

been thinking about going with another dust boot, my 3d printed works decent but cannot run it all the time depending on what I am cutting. It is fixed to the router mount so sometimes it can be too close or too far from the work surface and how long the bit is. May give this one a shot, looks to work well and well designed and thought out!

Scotty Orr likes this.