Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam Machine XLarge

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Moag, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Lead screws sold in the OpenBuilds parts store are all 40 mm longer for this reason. While the nominal lengths are 250, 500, & 1000, the actual lengths are 290, 540, & 1040.

2. Glenn Weston

Glenn Weston Journeyman
    Builder

OK Thankyou for clearing that up Rick, I will go back to the supplier & see if I can get them exchanged then or will just buy some more lead screw the correct lengths.... I might use what I have for another project maybe, It's all part of the learning I guess.

Cheers Glenn.

3. Ian McG

Ian McG New
    Builder

Wheel spacing query.

I was working on an original C-beam when the XL came out so I am now morphing the small one to take up some of the features of the XL e.g. double Y actuators and flipped beams. Effectively a narrow XL with upgrade path if space allows.

I noticed that the Y plate assembly instructions are slightly different in that on the XL the wheels are one 6mm spacer off the plates and the nut blocks are one 3mm spacer off the plate. However on the regular cbeam the wheels are one 6mm spacer AND one precision shim off the plate but the nut block is still only 3mm off the plate. One or other of these feels like it must be putting a bit of bow in the leadscrew or is there enough give in the wheels for it not to matter that much because both are actually only 0.5mm off a theoretical exact position. One basis that both machines work maybe it's a non point given the 500m length of the screw.

As a follow up why does the XL use 2 regular nut blocks as opposed to 1 or 2 anti backlash ones?

Cheers

Ian

4. Glenn Weston

Glenn Weston Journeyman
    Builder

Great question on the antibacklash nutblocks Ian, I was thinking the exact same thing as I was assembling the Y actuators last night.... it would have meant a few less parts and what I reckon is a more sensible antibacklash nut block with much easier adjustment.

Glenn

5. lord_drachenblut

Builder

I am guessing that it is because of the use of 2 nutblocks but maybe someone with more experience can step in and give a better answer

6. Glenn Weston

Glenn Weston Journeyman
    Builder

Have been watching Brady each night doing the Build, unfortunately I cannot tune in Live due to time difference here in Australia but have been doing the catch up TV thing each evening here, Thankyou Brady, have been really enjoying the broadcasts..... and I thought learning Ukulele as a musical instrument was fun and cool.... Now I want to buy a Banjo & have a go at some Bluegrass !!
    Great background music there Brady.

Something that was really interesting was that exactly the same thing happened to me with the Anti backlash nut blocks on the two Y Axis.
    One went together fine with no binding and no play, then the other one kept binding every time I tightened it up, couldn't work out how to fix the problem really so I just put it to one side for later but Brady came up with the solution on that problem so I will revisit that once I get the correct size lead screws.... This brings us back to the question why is there a difference in the Antibacklash system for the X/Y Axis to the Z Axis, it has me intrigued.

By the way Steve at Makerstore has not returned my calls as of yet, so here we go, so far I have given him the benefit of the doubt despite some unhappy customers on here.... I will keep readers posted, cause I don't put up with bad customer service/support, I am in the support field too and it is very important to return a call at the very least.

His business hours on his web site indicate 9:00 - 5:00 but he has not returned my calls since lunch time today, it is now 9:16PM Friday night here in Australia, anyhow time will tell, I may just re-order my lead screw from openbuilds instead if he can't be bothered calling me back.

Glenn.

7. lord_drachenblut

Builder

I think the solution that Brady came up with was actually mentioned in the build manual and I also mentioned it in the chat, not sure of he saw my comment before he figured it out or not. Which that is one good thing supposedly about the twitch recording is that it records the chat and plays it back.

8. Glenn Weston

Glenn Weston Journeyman
    Builder

@lord_drachenblut ha, didn't see it in the build manual and didn't see it in the chat but that was because I had it on full screen so I couldn't see the chat, mmm I better RTFM a bit more LOL.

I might keep an eye on the chat messages next time, as he is often replying to the messages and it's like you are only getting half of the conversation.

Glenn.

9. Joao

Joao New
    Builder

Hey guys. Sorry if this was already answered somewhere else but i dindt find it.

How is it possible to have the C-beam and the Acme screw with the same length? Dont we need to have a little screw on the motor side for the coupling? The size i was aiming was C-beam size + 2x end plates + 7.5mm for flexible coupling (measured this part on Solidworks) + 2/3mm gap between coupling/endplate.

Thanks for this awesome build.

10. Glenn Weston

Glenn Weston Journeyman
    Builder

Hi Joao, I am currently building this design at the moment and have run into almost the exact problem you are talking about during the physical build. I purchased my Leadscrews from Makerstore here in Australia and they DO NOT account for the thick 12mm C-Beam end plates that are used in this build so my leadscrews are too short.

Quoting Rick 2.0 a few posts back:

Lead screws sold in the OpenBuilds parts store are all 40 mm longer for this reason. While the nominal lengths are 250, 500, & 1000, the actual lengths are 290, 540, & 1040.

So the OpenBuilds Lead screws are cut to allow for the extra length you need to make the coupling connections.

Cheers Glenn.

11. Joao

Joao New
    Builder

Hi Glenn, thank you the reply.

Look like i will need to check that with my local store, thank you for the info. =)

Im still finishing the model in Solidworks before ill start buying parts.

12. Justin Christensen

Builder

So I currently own the original c-beam. Would like to upgrade to the XL. Would I be able to use most of the parts from the c-beam, or will I have to buy all new parts for the XL?

13. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

14. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

The extent of the required parts needed to revise the previous version to the XL will largely come down to user's budget and the desired outcome. For the frugally minded merely seeking the square footage of the newer model the requirements will be little more than moving the existing X-axis gantry beam to the Y-axis and replacing the X-axis beams (gantry and frame) with longer sections. Another universal build plate with associated wheels (etc.) will also be required. For the purists seeking an identical match to the new machine however the revisions will be far more extensive including replacing all the motors and gantry plates along with the framing members. For those seeking increased size and stoutness but not at the purist level the revisions will be somewhere in between. There is not really going to be a one-size-fits-all approach that works for everyone. As Mary noted, the best approach is to compare the visual aspects of the two and from there determine how you wish to proceed.

Aussie58, Kyo, GrayUK and 1 other person like this.
  15. lord_drachenblut

Builder

Okay folks I'm slowly coming out of being knocked low from a combination of surgery and other physical issues so I'm trying to get things finished up on my c-beam machine xlarge.

I was provided a xPro v2 and powering it off a atx power supply.

I have it all temporarily wired and tested with universal g-code sender running on a Linux system.

During my down time I have picked up a cable chain and a friend picked up the Bosch Colt router.

Things I need to do at this point and would appreciate advice from the more experienced amongst you.

I need to extend the leads coming off the nema23 high torque motors on the machine. I am considering these wires for it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0154LFKUO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_BqA5xbRCQ1VH5

I plan on the permanent machine to run this to be a raspberry pi 2 running either universal g-code sender or bcnc. I am uncertain after some looking will these programs allow me tweak the settings for the machine or will I have to do it from the CLI?

Any recommendations of settings from anyone running a similar setup would be appreciated

MaryD likes this.
  16. Aussie58

Aussie58 New
    Builder

My limited experience but extensive reading of wiring and 'power', leads me to think that shielded wiring is essential - the one you have linked does not seem to be of the shielded variety.
    I do agree going 18 gauge - those who go 24AWG might have a few little anomalies in terms of interference and current load that may need to be dealt with.
    All the best!

MaryD likes this.
  17. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Get AWG18, shielded, not just LED strip wires. Shielded will eliminate possibilities of interference with the spindle. On my personal builds I use only 5" of the original wire from the motors. It's also recommended for the end and limit stops although I'm using AWG24 for those.

Did you post on the xPRO topic about using the ATX, xPRO and 345oz motors?

-Ronald

18. lord_drachenblut

Builder

Could you contact me via a direct message so I can speak with you? Tried sending one already and it wouldn't allow me

19. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

20. FireHaus

FireHaus New
    Builder

Mine is up and running! Anyone have a cad/cam file for a dust boot I could use?

Mark Carew likes this.
  21. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Glenn Weston likes this.
  22. lord_drachenblut

Builder

I've started working on calibrating my machine finally. Currently I'm using a xPro v2 to drive the machine. In time I hope to upgrade this setup possibly but for now this seems to work.

For a starting point I used the same settings as used in cbeam plate machine, minus homing settings as I'm not fully sure what they do yet.

The xPro v2 is currently set to 1/8 micro steps

My X axis currently using these settings is currently off 4mm across 500mm travel.

Y axis is off 2mm across 200mm travel.

Would I be better off using the same travel distance to measure how far off the machine is currently or does this work?

Attached Files:

23. Moag

Moag Veteran

Try setting your Steps per mm from 200 to 199.1 ($100,$101&$102) to see if it's a little closer @lord_drachenblut .
    Just basing on this great bit of information in the resource section... OpenBuilds Actuator Test Rig

If that doesn't work have a look at this resource to try and work it out... HOWTO Calibrate your OX or C-Beam

Let us know if it works out OK...

#143 Moag, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    jamesdjadams likes this.
  24. lord_drachenblut

Builder

Thanks for the advice @Moag and @Mark Carew

I ended up going back and starting over with $100,$101 & $102 set at 200 and using the information in Howto calibrate your cbeam to get to my current settings which seem to be almost spot on. The Z travel is so short currently that 200 seems to work for now.

And here is my hello works cut in a piece of foam using a 1/4" bit

IMG_20161009_135506.jpg
    IMG_20161009_140115.jpg

25. lord_drachenblut

Builder

I'm going to be working on designing one soon. I'll be sure to share it to get feedback

Moag likes this.
  26. TerryOx

TerryOx Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you for posting your settings.

Moag likes this.
  27. gwandad

gwandad Well-Known
    Builder

Moag, You promised a good machine, bu this one is GRRRReat!! but I have a question re assembling gantries. Why do the eccentric nuts always go on the bottom?
    They are often very difficult to get at. Will it make any real difference if I put them on top?
    By the way, your build instructions are superb. I've not seen better!

Moag likes this.
  28. lord_drachenblut

Builder

No problem. Hope it helps someone out.

Moag likes this.
  29. Moag

Moag Veteran

No real reason other then that's the traditional way to do it @gwandad; so be the rebel ;) and try it the other way round... Iike you say it would make it so much easier to adjust them on the machine. Thanks for the kind words mate.

Good to see the Openbuilds Spirit is strong in you @lord_drachenblut...:thumbsup:

30. lord_drachenblut

Builder

It comes from me being so heavy into the Free and Open Source Software community. I love seeing how that ideology is spreading beyond software into hardware as well

Moag likes this.