Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam Machine XLarge

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Moag, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Thanks, man.

2. Paul Pridday

Builder

No problem. Lots to go around. I am having a bit of an issue getting the touch screen to work. I think it is because I am hooked into a MS Surface which is already touch screen. More news later.

3. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known
    Builder

Hi, as Paul knows I was not ignoring him but didn't have access to the computer for a while. I have responded to him off line and I hope is is cutting by now.

Paul Pridday likes this.
  4. Paul Pridday

Builder

Yup. Got some great info from Bill. :)

Just about ready to roll and then momma came up with a more important (apparently) project. :confused:

Getting ready to take off on a holiday and then back to work until late May. Arrrgh....

Paul

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I just got mine in the mail today! I have similar questions so I will study the answers. WIldbill, can you share the tips you sent Paul with me? Thanks. I am hoping my screw driven CNC will be fast enough.

6. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known
    Builder

Here is what I said

For power I use a 2 amp 12V wall wart.

I use the CNC Shield - the question is what version of GRBL are you using? For .9 and later they moved the spindle pin (they needed it to be PWM) so on my clone board I use Z homing pin for the spindle.

I think it was V3.1 that the board is marked properly. A way to test is get a 6V bulb and wire it up like the laser and see if it goes on and off.

Here are the GRBL setings that I use for the laser
    $30=255 Max spindle speed, RPM (255)
    $31=0 Min spindle speed, RPM (0)
    $32=0 Laser mode, boolean (1)

I use T2 Laser to actually drive things and set the laser power range for 5-255 to get the best results. T2 is not free but has trial version that is full featured to see if you like it. For $40 its a great tool for me.

Here is an image I made in cigar box wood

IMG_0369-small.jpg

7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Thanks. $40 is reasonable for software that works. I will quit thread-jacking now.

8. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known
    Builder

I think we all wandered with the thread, but all is well that ends well -- and no shouting. ;)

Paul Pridday and Giarc like this.
  9. dogmeatk

dogmeatk New
    Builder

It looks like these were anticipated to be available again on April 20, but now just show "out of stock". Is there a supply issue with a certain component?

10. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

To what are you referring? Both the laser and touch monitor are in stock as far as I can see...

11. dogmeatk

dogmeatk New
    Builder

Sorry for the confusion, my question is about the original topic of this thread, the C-Beam X-Large Kit.

12. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Ah. Check with Trish at the store, (http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home) last time I talked to her they were waiting on the C-Beam XL Gantry Plates to come in. Should be any day now...

13. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi,

I put this in another thread, but will also post it here. I have attached a BOM for a C-Beam XL With a 500mm X-Axis, and only one actuator. I haven't built the BOM myself, but i believe it to be correct.

Ryan

Attached Files:

14. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

There was an error in the previous file.

Attached Files:

15. p25o1

p25o1 New
    Builder

hi everyone,

started the build some time back , overdue but i'm getting there :)

i got it all together and connected it to the cnc xpro.

1- moving the X has a strange noise, reading from the forum , a member suggested to change the Travel per Revolution value, which did make it smoother
    but i'm not sure if this is the best value.
    default is 250, new setting is 800

2-even after changing the Travel per Revolution value, i still have a noise when the movements reaching a stop.
    is that normal , and is there a setting to improve it

3- is there a recommended setting for grbl regarding this cnc setup, or should i stay with the stock cnc xpro settings?

4- keep in mind this is my first cnc , and grbl experience, i'm searching and reading around, please point me in to any good readings to setup the basics of a new cnc on grbl
    example the current / settings and wiring

16. p25o1

p25o1 New
    Builder

17. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

@p25o1
    Openbuild's screws are four start. Pitch only equals mm/revolution (lead) on single start screws. For multi start screws lead = pitch*starts. You need to use
    (motor_steps_per_rev * driver_microstep) / thread_pitch*starts. So for a 1.8° stepper 1/8 micro stepping and openbuilds screws that would be.

(200*8) / 2*4 = 200 that will get you very close, then following the excellent tuning guides you can then dial everything in perfectly.

acme.png

#317 Kyo, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  18. p25o1

p25o1 New
    Builder

@Kyo

thx for explaining that to me.

i'm currently running the setup using the ATX , for initial testing , but the motors spec suggest 24v.

will switch to 24v and test again with 200.

thx

#318 p25o1, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  19. Ernest Sutherland

Builder

Anyone know of a good dust boot and mount for the xlarge build?

20. Ernest Sutherland

Builder

21. wackocrash5150

wackocrash5150 Well-Known
    Builder

Just got the parts in order to make my c-beam machine into an XLarge. I picked up some NPN NC inductive proximity switches to use. Any mounting ideas?

22. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

I did a write up in

Prox Sensor Wiring for Limit/Homing Switches

that has some detail on how I mount them. Contact me if you have specific questions.

MG

23. Bradles

Bradles New
    Builder

Hey everyone,
    Sorry if already mention but not gone through all the pages, but is there a reason why there is no additional anti backlash components on both the y and x axis gantries, to replace the acme 8mm blocks used?

24. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking why the anti-backlash nut blocks are not used on the X and Y axes. The answer is that it is an anti-backlash arrangement. It just uses 2 standard nut blocks mounted on slotted holes. Thus, the backlash can be adjusted by moving one nut block closer or farther away from the other. This has a few advantages, it provides more surface area for the screw to ride on, and it gives the acme screw better support. I personally like the dual nut block system way better than the single anti-backlash nut block. It's much stronger.

MG

mprenzler and Bradles like this.
  25. Bradles

Bradles New
    Builder

Ah ok thanks, i thought there might be a reason for this, thats why thought i would ask.
    Looking to put this beast together but expand y axis to 1m instead of 500mm as material stock i want to use is 500x600 so the current table cutting size is a little small.

26. Jacques D

Jacques D New
    Builder

Hey,

Is it just me and my computer (and my smartphone) or the pictures don't show up anymore in the build description ?

#326 Jacques D, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  27. Jacques D

Jacques D New
    Builder

Alright. I found the pdf of the assembly manual in the files and drawings section, so I don't need the pictures anymore. Thank you

28. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Well I've got my new XL almost finished, though I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to attach the X and Z Axis together as the pictures weren't totally clear on that. Decided to negate the second Y-Axis and add two Linear Bearings and a Build Plate. Hopefully it's easier to set up with my G540 though I'm in the process of adding PNP Proximity Switches for my homing sequence.

29. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

(4) 10mm or 12mm screws into the front side (2 each side). Extend screws through the smooth holes in the Z-axis plate and into the threaded holes in the X-axis plate.

Front Side.jpg

(4) 65mm screws into the back side w/ (2) 20mm spacers and (3) shim washers each (2 screws at top, 2 screws at bottom). Extend screws through the smooth holes in the X-axis plates into the threaded holes in the Z-axis plate.

Back Side.jpg

30. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Seriously? You just need 4 screws (or 8). Note how the plates are threaded in 4 holes and thru holes in 4 others (between the wheels)? With the plates lined up 90 degrees from each other, just put screws through the holes in one plate into the threaded holes in the other plate. Easy Peasy. You can just use the 4 holes top and bottom, or put screws through the other way into the 4 holes 2 left, 2 right, as well. These plates were designed to bolt together at 90 degress specifically for attaching the Z axis to the X axis.

MG