Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam™ Machine - Plate Maker

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Jul 16, 2015.

1. MetalDesigner

Builder

I would certainly share the Full SolidWorks Assembly & Part files with the OpenBuilds Team and let them share it if they want :)
    Drew in the parts only for my own personal use, and don't know the rules about posting CAD files of OpenBuild parts.
    Maybe you can ask Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team ~ Cause I just want to respect OpenBuilds propriety wishes ... However, it would cost WAY MORE to make the parts than just buy them at the OpenBuilds Store (VERY GOOD PRICES) ... so the SolidWorks part files really don't help other than for designing new projects which would generate more business for the OpenBuilds Store, but I will honor their wishes whatever they say ... but I do think it would be helpful for those that want to design items in the computer and know what parts to order because I named all the parts with their SKU Number and Name.
    :)
    CHEERS!!

2. apburner

apburner New
    Builder

I have some nema23 motors on the way but have a question on the C-beam kit. Does it come with everything needed but motors and controller

3. apburner

apburner New
    Builder

Has anyone tried double sided duct tape. It is nasty sticky stuff and a bit thicker than carpet tape. So one could use a 1/2 inch Plexiglas or acrylic bed and just cut down into the tape. Should be able to stop before actually hitting the bed.
    Just a thought. I am a newbie and just kinda thinking out loud. Please feel free to correct any thing I say that seems incorrect.

4. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

I'd not order a VFD until you decide on a spindle, and as a person who stuck a water cooled spindle and VFD on a Shapeoko - I'd not suggest you go that route unless you REALLY are into self abuse. They are WAY overkill unless you really KNOW you must have one. A Dewalt DWP611 or the Bosch equivalent are far better choices IMO. The 300-400 watt spindles are a reasonable choice unless you plan to do a lot of metal cutting and even then, they may be just fine. It just depends on your feed rates. I've been running a 400w spindle on a small mill (a miniature Ox) that I only use to cut plates with and while you can't hog a lot off with it, it cuts just fine with the 1/8" single flute upcut cutter I use in it.

Mark Carew likes this.
  5. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

BTW, I should have added that I mostly cut wood, it seems . My metal cutting is always a challenge of plugged up cutters and lots of adjustments trying to get feedrates right. Recently I contacted a endmill cutter sales office and was given some numbers to plug in that work with my cutters. YMMV

6. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

I finally built a machine that was sized to fit the water cooled spindle;

[​IMG]

7. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Yep. Should have bought a 2kw since they can utilize 3/8 bits, but it works great for the price.

8. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

@MetalDesigner Your more then welcome to share your SolidWorks files here and thank you! :thumbsup: In fact I will add them to the Files tab if you send them to me. I will send you a conversation. Thank you

@Jonatan Rullman If you are looking for OpenBuilds Part Files in different formats please see the Parts Resource section here: http://www.openbuilds.com/resources/categories/openbuilds-parts.5/
    Along with Sketchup we also have STEP-IGES-SolidWorks available.

@apburner Correct you can get the C-Beam machine bundle with or without the motors and so you would need to get the driver and power supply as well as a couple other items of your choice.
    Steppers (Nema23)/Driver board/PSU
    Misc. items End Caps/Slot Covers/Plexiglass Side Panels/1/2"MDF spoiler board
    Hope this helps

Fety Mann likes this.
  9. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Not sure if I grabbed the wrong type of carpet tape - but it did its job of holding the work well, but left a residue that is a bear to remove. I need to get more strategic with my placement of the tape so that it remains mostly on the waste material - and not on the part.

10. R_B

R_B New
    Builder

AGAIN Mark's video is EXCELLENT and really should be followed.
    These comments may reflect on how I do things more than anything else, i.e. My particular learning experiences.

Here is a mere "sequence suggestion";
    Leave the Y axis assembly OFF until after the X axis gantry is mounted and reasonably squared.
    It is a lot easier to handle the frame if there isn't a stepper motor that needs to somehow be hung off the front edge of the work bench - at least with MY hand/eye coordination skills it SEEMS to be easier.

Pre-load;
    It isn't clear just how much Mark loosens the end blocks before locking down the lock collars, I've watched the video several times and it seems to be about 1/4 turn, maybe less.
    There is another variable, just where the grub screw bites the acme thread - and as we know "stuff adds up".
    It CAN grab the screw and walk it's way OUT toward the bearing, THEN you can finish up with too much pre-load.
    On my Y axis assembly I had a roughness when turning the screw by hand, it wasn't at the same position every time.
    I thought it might be it a bad bearing at first, or a rough spot on the screw, so I took it apart.
    Each part seemed good, so I reassembled and found the trouble to be too much pre-load.
    I don't think I have done any damage in less than a dozen very slow turn, but if I had left it I think there would have been premature wear.
    {edit; Just thinking about this some more, a small plastic plug between the set screw and the acme screw might eliminate the "walking" - maybe, maybe not, just a thought}

Anyway, I am searching for a different way to get the right amount of pre-load.
    I don't remember who posted the audio file of their machine making horrid noises, but I'd bet there is too much pre-load on at least one bearing in that machine.

I know I am doing things out of sequence, I'm going BACK to the MDF board.
    If you make the diagonal as suggested there is no need to take the lead screw nut block off to sight through the center hole.
    Just sight through the corner holes and pick up the diagonal lines - you KNOW it is both centered and square when you have all four lined up.

Change of subject;
    I can't get universal g-code loader to run.
    I suspect that my java is messed up, but it has been so long since I did anything with/in java that I'm having trouble even getting started.

BTW, the machine jogs in all the right directions by about the right amount, so I know it at least communicates with grbl-panel.

later,

#251 R_B, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Fety Mann and Mark Carew like this.
  11. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Not sure about a specific product for label removal - but I look around. Thanks.

We have plenty of products that claim to remove this type of crap - GooGone, Goo-off. Plenty of products with Goo in the title :)

I use acetone for most stuff. But this glue seems to be ornery.

12. Mark Carew

@Jonatan Rullman These may not be genuine OpenBuilds Parts.
    I would suggest you talk with your UK supplier and see if they have a fix for this and any other parts that may be in question.
    OpenBuilds wheels are machined to a high precision and work great.
    Thank you,
    Please check your messages
    20150903_124253.jpg 20150903_122509.jpg

Fety Mann and stargeezer like this.
  13. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

That's a huge difference in those parts! I wasn't aware there were any clones out there except the Inventable's wheels and they are nothing like the Open Build wheels. I've even gone back and replaced most of those wheels I'd bought before and replaced them with Open Builds wheels. They are far better quality.

14. Mark Carew

@Jonatan Rullman thank you for your understanding and for taking these part issues up with the company you purchased the bundle from.
    Mark

15. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

I can report that using the carpet tape sparingly (as in, not COMPLETELY covering the bottom :) ) works really well. At least for something light like 1/8" G10.

16. Mark Carew

I like it too, but I think I need to try acetone to get it off the bottom of aluminum. I also think if I only did the perimeter with it it would be a lot easier to clean up :)

17. Flash22

Flash22 Well-Known
    Builder

@Jonatan Rullman

Just had the exact same issue in my case I had to make 5.40mm spacers to take out the deflection if you would like to message me who you got the kit/bundle from that would be good - did you get the spindle mount with the kit, any missing parts yet ??

18. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Acetone should work well for aluminum. I am also thinking a quick hit with a heat gun would loosen it up and make it a lot easier to wipe off without any solvent at all. That's my next test.

Mark Carew and Foggy like this.
  19. nate campbell

Builder

3m citrus based adhesive remover. Pricey but good. I think you'll be surprised how poorly acetone works for this job.

I've unfortunately spent a fair bit of time removing adhesive residue in my life....

20. arc1979

arc1979 New
    Builder

HELP! I am using the xpro board. All of my axis work except for the y axiz. When I try to move the y though the grbl panel software the motor just ticks once. I swapped the motor out for another with the same result. Any suggestions on what to try next?

21. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Is your stepper plug wired correctly?

22. arc1979

arc1979 New
    Builder

Yes. I've checked the connections several times. It is wired exactly the same as the x axis.

23. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Are the steppers identical? Sorry to question this, but it really does sound like a wiring problem. One test you can try is to use a wire to jump between the first and second pin holes and see if there is a marked difference in how easy the stepper rotates by hand. A correct pair shorted together will cause a dragging of the stepper rotation. You don't even have to un-mount the motor, just unplug it from the board and short out the two pins closest to one side of the plug.

If you can't feel any difference, then you'll need to determine which wires are a coil and makes those pin 1&2, the other pair will be obvious. :)

You may be right and they are perfect, but I hope it's this easy.

Jonatan Rullman likes this.
  24. Flash22

Flash22 Well-Known
    Builder

have you tested the motor off the c-beam as your lead screw may be binding up, have you checked the grbl settings and/or setup the interface correctly ?

Silly question have you adjusted the current adjust for that axis ??

25. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

I was thinking the current pot as well. The description sounds similar to what they describe for tuning the TinyG - when the pot is turned all the way down too low.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

26. Flash22

Flash22 Well-Known
    Builder

27. arc1979

arc1979 New
    Builder

I tried adjusting the pots last night with no luck.
    I did make sure I had the pairings correct by shorting two wires and finding the poles.
    Going to disconnect all the steppers tonight and start reconnecting,checking each as I reconnect. FYI it is the y axis giving me the problems. Attached is a photo of the stepper connections.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Attached Files:

#268 arc1979, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  28. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

If the board has a 4th axis driver (I thought that it did) you could swap the wires to that one and test it there.

29. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

I'm looking at the board photo as blown up as I can get it and bare in mind I'm not familiar with it at all, but are the motor leads on the right side reversed?? Not sure that would cause any problem apart from directional control if it were reversed.

I'd second trying it with the 4th axis. If there is a problem with the board, that might help determine if it's that. You could also hook the y stepper to the x port for a short test. If it moves at all correctly you will know that your problem is y axis driver. Connecting the x axis to the y axis port for a test would also point to the problem.

Assuming everything else is right, I'm wondering about the firmware. Could it have gotten scrambled? Perhaps a re-flash might be called for???