Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam™ Machine - Plate Maker

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Serge E.

Serge E. Journeyman
    Builder

There are software for the Mac OSx. I'm using UniversalGcodeSender (free) on an old MacBook 13" for quite sometime now to talk to the CNC xPro. To design, there is SketchUp Make (Free) with SketchUcam (free) for generating gcode mostly 2D / 2.5D jobs and OpenSCAM (free) to simulate job before using the actual machine and cutting/milling into physical material. I also have MeshCAM (NOT free) for generating gcode for 3D and simulated 4D jobs. Everything runs Mac OS (10.9.5 at this time). I did add RAM to the little MacBook. While using SketchUp Make, do save on a regular basis as it seems to 'stall' at times. Otherwise, runs as smooth as my mistakes let them run.

Have fun ...

silopolis and Giarc like this.
  2. Serge E.

Serge E. Journeyman
    Builder

I started myOX with 12V PS, was running into stepper related issues which disappeared once switched to a 24v power supply ... all but "user" related issues that is. :oops:

3. Serge E.

Serge E. Journeyman
    Builder

For the Mac, I use UniversalGcodeSender with no issues. Latest version is on GitHub :

UPDATE :
    Actual link to download 1.0.8 (latest at this time) version is : http://bit.ly/1BSKon6. The above link gets confusing if you don't go down the page a bit ...

Which reminds me I should do the update as I currently use 1.0.7.2 ... :oops:

#93 Serge E., Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    Mark Carew likes this.
  4. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Great stuff. Thanks for all the Mac compatible software tips.

TinyG arrived today. Need a few things from mark to finish off the build and I'll get this thing fired up!

5. Laurence Carroll

Builder

Ive had the same thoughts about making it a bit bigger....the CBeam seems easier to put together with fewer parts than the OX???....I can only really afford to make one at the moment....and was interested in the OX for its larger size... but always liked the moving plate/mill style.....Rgds....Laurie

6. Serge E.

Serge E. Journeyman
    Builder

You might want to plan for a couple of extra regular V-slot running parallel to the C-beam but towards the far edges of the table when you will be ready to make the C-beam machine bigger. For now, you will also be limited to a max of 1000mm for the C-beam unless it can be joined with accuracy and rigidity. You also don't want to make a sliding table too big as the single stepper needs to move it AND the weight of the raw material being worked on. The bigger the table/machine, the bigger the work piece ... the heavier it can get. The heavier it gets, the more you have to account for inertia (how fast the mass is moving and how to stop it, change direction, ... and that it's loosing weight as you mill/route it),

The gantry approach is unaffected by the weight of the piece being worked on ... what is moving is a constant weight : gantry and tool.

7. Laurence Carroll

Builder

Thanks Serge...I hadnt thought of it like that in my minds eye... much appreciated....this will be my 1st CNC machine.....Rgds.....Laurie

8. cahopkins

cahopkins New
    Builder

Serge thanks for the info , Im already trying to learn sketch up for use in creating parts for 3d printing. will have to go look rest of software up, got my spark board last week, router came friday and got notified my kit was shipped. Time to get some space cleared out so can put it all together and learn how to use it...

9. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hello @motopreserve this will not be a problem the reason for leaving the gap is just to make sure the flex coupling not rubbing on the End Plate.

10. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks @Mark Carew. If you check the email at the OpenBuilds parts store you'll see I need a few missing things.

Also, turns out one of the flex couplers was actually for a Nema 17, so I'll need to get a replacement for that as well.

I'd like to order some more parts - so maybe I can purchase what I need and we can get all the extra missing bits in the same package?

Build is looking good this far.

Thanks!

11. Mark Carew

Hello @motopreserve
    Talked to the Part Store and they received your email and are taking care of it as we speak.
    Sorry for the mixups and mistakes and sure we would be happy to add these orders together for you, the sooner you add the new parts the better as they can go out today.
    Just make sure you email them and let them know.
    Thanks
    Mark

12. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks so much @Mark Carew !!!

Believe me, if I had to piece all those parts together for a bundle - no one would ever get anything built! :)

13. Mark Carew

Its a tough one for sure :) but its worth it because having to pick them all out and add them to the cart one part at a time can be a pain.
    We have been working on weighing everything to make sure its perfect so this should help as well.
    Thanks for your understanding my friend and all the best with your build! :thumbsup:
    Mark

14. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

I moved ahead just so I could double check all he parts, and see if I needed anything. I know I'll have to take this back apart - but it was a worthy exercise to feel
    Comfortable with the way it all goes together.

I'm excited to have this thing setup and ready to go. Won't be long now....

OpenBuilds CNC.jpg OpenBuilds CNC.jpg

#104 motopreserve, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  15. Davey Rance

Builder

Looks good there Motopreserve :)

I have had to go away for a couple of days so mine is still sitting on a cardboard box. Hopefully have it up and cutting by the end of this week.

16. Mark Carew

Great job @motopreserve ! Can't wait to see it up and cutting. :thumbsup:
    Keep up the good work
    Mark

17. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks folks. Couple more things and then it's time for learning the controller and software. Not sure how that will go - seems a lot more complicated than the 3D printer stuff I use. Maybe I'm over-thinking it. Time to dig in! :)

18. Mark Carew

The controller software is easy, as its main purpose is to send the Gcode created in your CAM software to your machine.
    As for CAM software to make the code there are many options out there. Some are complex but some are easy.
    Check out meshcam its nice and simple. Or vectric software's as well. There is always the popular SketchUcam if you want to get into plate cutting on the easy!
    Just remember to take shallow multiple passes for your cuts at say .3mm per pass working your way down though the thickness of the material.
    If you try to cut to deep on the first pass you can mess up your machine or bits quickly be ready to shut the power down on your first cuts. No worries though you will learn it quick and
    be a pro in no time and its a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.
    Mark

Peter Walker likes this.
  19. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the encouragement @Mark Carew

I'm confident in the 'taking it slow and shallow' part of it - I'm used to hand turning/milling. No need to start rushing now :)

I have downloaded sketch-u-cam for my free version of sketchup. I typically design in solidworks - but I'm assuming I can export and open it up in these other programs?

I'll do some reading and I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon. I'm so used to manual EVERYTHING when it comes to machining - it's just a brave new world! But one I'm looking forward to embracing.

PS: I have an emergency stop swich that is going in to cut the juice for this thing. That should at least add some safety to the learning process.

Also, the collet set just go here from Precisebits. "Nice bit of kit," as they say across the pond.

#109 motopreserve, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Mark Carew likes this.
  20. Davey Rance

Builder

Motopreserve look at fusion 360 as it also has the cam and cad side.

21. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Ah. Thanks Davey. I didn't realize that it had both. I haven't gone through it much after download. Just to see that design you sent. I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance.

Need to print a mount for my emergency stop button and get the tinyG mounted as well.

Replacement parts are on the truck for delivery. Getting there...

22. Mike Kershaw

Builder

Hello
    I've just ordered a C-beam bundle, and have set about sourcing a suitable router here in Europe. The Colt and similar don't seem to be available over here, the popular choice seems to be a Chinese spindle and inverter set up. The problem is that these spindles are 65mm diameter.
    The 71mm mount is not really a good size for Europe. Could a future upgrade be a 65mm option for the mount, or a 3mm thick adapter or collar made available for folks over here?

I love the language used in the order status "Awaiting fulfillment", it has an almost spiritual feel to it... I image all the little orders lined up waiting for Mark to give them blessing before they leave to spread the Openbuild message to the world.
    Perhaps that's just my weird English sense of humor.

23. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

not 'slow and shallow'! calculate the rpm and feed speed for the material and type of cutter. feed at that speed.
    there is such a thing as too slow!
    too slow means the chips are very thin and the heat goes into the tool and part instead of departing in the chip.
    then, 'depth of cut' according to what your machine can handle.

silopolis likes this.
  24. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks David, but it was just an expression. That's why it was in quotes. :). I guess what I should have said is, I'm not in any hurry to ignore the calculations/facts and break and bunch of tooling or worse.

I've got the feeds and speeds calculator ready and waiting to get this dialed in for various materials when I'm up and running. The rest will have to be feel and watching the machine operate, which of course will be a bit different than my vertical mill, but I trust the experience will translate somewhat.

Appreciate all the help folks. I'm close. Saw the motors turn yesterday fkr the first time. Have to get deep into the TinyG and I should be good to go.

David the swarfer likes this.
  25. MetalDesigner

Builder

THANK YOU for the information :)

26. Jeremiah

Jeremiah New
    Builder

@motopreserve , you asked about Mac related controller stuff. I went, and have found GRBL based stuff will work, then what ever else you use for CAD, CAM, G-Code sender, etc. will either work with Mac, or not. Universal G-Code sender works. Inkscape works. Arduino/GRBL works, etc. There are a lot of options. Everything I found regarding TinyG stated a lot of Chillipeppr/ online type of stuff, and not much else. So, I returned the one I had and grabbed an Uno/gShield. The xPro and Smoothie look like good alternatives, but the Smoothie is 32-bit and uses non-grbl custom controller platform, (which is good, but less applicable), from what I can tell.

27. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

I ended up with the tinyG. I've been able to get the thing connected and operating using mac. Cool term and universal GC Sender work. Ironically the one thing I can't get working is chili pepper, which should be the easiest of the bunch, considering it's not OS dependent. :)

28. DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist Well-Known
    Builder

#1 - Which of the openbuild routers will work with mild steel? If it could do mild steel than Aluminum, or anything softer, would be a piece of cake.

#2 - How about a mister and this machine? Will it work or does it need something else to protect the bearings, etc...?

#3 - If I purchase that hardware kit I am screwed if I need it 3 inches taller, right? I need it to be able to do 120mm tall pieces.

29. Mark Carew

Fety Mann, silopolis and motopreserve like this.
  30. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Yep. That's a great resource. Actually, if you visit that page - he has several useful tips & tricks in the drop down menu.

Mark Carew likes this.