Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam™ Machine - Plate Maker

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Sure, here is the dewalt I picked up. Looks like price is now $99 + shipping instead of free shipping or $119 with free shipping. Not sure how to provide the $25 dewalt discount, it was automatically applied to my cart by amazon.

2. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

That's the one I've been looking at...shame would have been an awesome deal.

3. crussell

crussell New
    Builder

4. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Yeah that is one thing I don't like about buying online. Price changes ( cheapest on amazon currently is $116.38 shipped before dewalt discount ) Or things are out of stock. On the other hand with careful timing and shopping good deals can be had. Here is a new one on ebay with a current bid of only $27 bucks.

5. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

I don't see it apply the discount when input it in the cart. At the bottom it says this item is not eligible. Who knows.

6. crussell

crussell New
    Builder

totally crazy idea, but I have a cordless Ryobi 18V DC trim router. Just for fun, I may hard-wire in a power supply into an old dead battery frame and see how it does. Cheap DC spindle....

7. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

I wonder if i just got lucky, the dwp611 is listed under the dewalt 25$ off page on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/b?node=10043004011 But I just tried to re order and you are right it is not applying a discount.

I apologize for bringing up a deal it seems no one is able to grab, my intentions were to pass on to others a good sale.

crussell likes this.
  8. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

As it's DC, I wonder what the potential for adding speed control would be. Might be a pretty good deal at $50.

Not to worry, deals come and go. You'll note it is out of stock at Home Depot and you will find amazon tends to change its tune when items become available again at HD.

crussell likes this.
  9. crussell

crussell New
    Builder

10. crussell

crussell New
    Builder

Disregard, that's the smaller Makita.

11. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Yeah and it says the $25 doesn't apply to the 701.

12. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

I have a slightly used Makita 3709 for CAD 60$ if anyone is interested (plus shipping, I'm in Canada).

13. gtoguy

gtoguy New
    Builder

Can someone point me back to the thread or threads on the trades between the Colt or the Dewalt 611? Searching but finding it difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff (lots of results). Also, I'm trying to make sure I understand the collet reducer source for both of these routers. Building a stock C-Beam shortly (on order) and want to research the trades for routers that are readily available to me and that are in my budget.

14. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Tool Crib aka the new Acme Tool lets you use the coupon code DEW2015 to get $25 off FYI.

crussell likes this.
  15. crussell

crussell New
    Builder

Good find. That comes out to $101.48 shipped to California in the cart. Here's that link:
    DEWALT-DWP611

16. Serge E.

Serge E. Journeyman
    Builder

Sweet ! I will soon be putting a C-beam together ... I twisted my arm and had to give in. Hope myOX won't get jealous ...

17. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Parts :) I just got sent a photo surprise, This got delivered a lot faster then I expected seeing as it was one of the last things I ordered.
    [​IMG]

C-beam kit will be delivered Monday according to ups. Should be able to dive back into my builds including this one in late Feb. when I get home from this job. In the mean time parts should continue to arrive ahead of me..

#677 Kyo, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Mark Carew likes this.
  18. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Decided not to be cheap and ordered my Dewalt 611...$101.48 delivered from Acme. Best deal I have found. Looking forward to getting my build started. Precision collets are a nice option and PreciseBits is a great place to buy and a great resource for info as well.

#678 Jimmybuckets, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Kyo likes this.
  19. wackocrash5150

wackocrash5150 Well-Known
    Builder

Just starting my build and it's going well. Although I'm still waiting for my DeWalt 611 from Amazon.ca, I've been trying to source a decent 1/8" collet for it. Seems to be difficult this side of the border (Canada). The ones from Elaire Corporation look very reasonable (at $19 USD) but the shipping is $21 USD on top of that.... Anyone know of anything?

BTW ... bought my c-beam parts from "ddman". Super nice and great guy to deal with.

20. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

Thank you :)

21. crussell

crussell New
    Builder

HD has the DWP611's back in stock so I grabbed one. Free shipping, so with the $25 discount came out to $91.70 before CA tax. $99.04 out the door!

22. gtoguy

gtoguy New
    Builder

Yep, good buy. Thanks for the tip, Paul

23. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

I had some free time to head back home today and unpack the two packages that were delivered this afternoon. Was not there long enough to open all the small bags and do a inventory of contents. However, I was able to lay every thing out and snap a quick photo.

[​IMG]

I am getting very excited to start this build.. :)

#683 Kyo, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  24. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Any thoughts on spinning the z axis c-beam around and bolting the x gantry plate to the carriage plate of the z c-beam? Maybe this has already been suggested or isn't able to be done for some reason? It would give us a lot more usable z. Plus make it much easier to use dust collection since your d.c. skirt would move up and down with the router. You would be a little more cantilevered since the router would be slightly further out from the x but this seems like another no cost potential way to get more area for the same $$$.

25. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

What is the approximate max cut and travel rates for the C-Beam Machine. I'm using the Nema 23 that came with the kit and running it on a gshield at say 2A. Any idea?

26. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

That's going to depend on a ton of stuff....
    what is the spindle speed?
    what chip load are you looking for?
    What material are you cutting?
    Depth of cut?
    Bit design?

my c-beam machine isn't running yet, but on my ox it will zip right thru hdpe but then when I cut aluminum it goes slower.

27. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

I realize with each material there will have to be adjustments made to feeds and speeds. For example feed/speed calc for cutting aluminum is telling me at my routers lowest RPM of 16k, with a 2 flute carbide bit 50-60 ipm would give me a 0.002 chipload. I would be running at 0.025 step down which is 10% of tool diameter. I would assume the C-Beam Machine with the stock Nema 23 should be able to run at those speeds?

#687 Jimmybuckets, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  28. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Here is what I came up with using Google and the phone calculator. Driving the stock Nema 23 motors with 24v and around 2 amps they should be able to produce about 70 oz-in at around 88 ipm. Does that sound right?

29. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

sounds kind of slow,
    waiting on 100X Female Dupont and Servo Crimp Wire Jumper Pin Header Connector ,US Shiping should be here yesterday!!!! LOL
    once I have those I will see how fast I can drive the rapids and not loose steps...
    Just had surgery today and I'm going to get bored real quick having 6 weeks off work!!!!
    looking at the gcode for the pen examples looks like marc has it set for just under 400 ipm.

30. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

That is my math based on what I could figure out based on some googling and looking at the small torque map on the stepper motors page on the open builds store. The using some estimations to get an idea. So making a few assumptions and using some guessing if im figuring it out right... I was saying for these steppers at 24v and 2amps if you were cutting at 88 ipm the stepper would have maximum torque output of around 70 oz-in based on the 8mm lead screw that moves 5mm per rotation. Rapids could be more since there is aost no drag.