Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam™ Machine - Plate Maker

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Bob R

Bob R New
    Builder

Yes Elaire seems to have the collets, but I might opt for a spindle with an ER11 collet anyway.

2. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

3. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Brian,
    Do you thing with just playing with the front bearing block a full 12" of travel could be achieved?

4. Brian Mahoney

Builder

I'll see if I can measure the travel tomorrow.

5. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks that would be great!

6. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

You can also add spacers to raise the bed level over it

7. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Don't be ridiculous! That would be way too simple! Seriously good simple solution. Only concern... would the spacer cause the wheels to get cantilevered?

8. Serge E.

Serge E. Journeyman
    Builder

But raising the table also means reducing the working depth... It might be ok to cut most plates. However, engraving a (small, relatively flat) object might become more limited.

Looking at the layout, I was thinking that the spanner length should go beneath the Y beams instead of butting against them. That would give an extra ... what ... 2o mm of working depth. Which would allow raising the table by that much without loosing on the original working height. But the X beams would need to be stretched too... not a bad thing as it would give more working width, especially if you stretch more than the 40 mm (?) needed. But it involves more than a few spacers ... a lot more. The cheap way out of that one is to actually shrink the X axis by the 40 mm or so => no extra material (ie no extra cost), just a smaller working area with a bit more depth ... Everything has a price, eh ?

It seems Mark and his team put quite a bit of thought on the overall design to balance things out ... working area, price, etc.

9. Brian Mahoney

Builder

Just measured the travel I have in the ynaxis, I get a full 11 inches of travel. With a bit of work on the front cbeam end plate I think I could get 12.25 inches.

Brian

10. Brian Mahoney

Builder

Here's a picture of the bed showing the relief required for the stepper. If you want the additional travel at the front the bed and relief would need increasing by 1.25 inches.

Apologies for the lack of tidyness ;-)

Brian

Attached Files:

Serge E. likes this.
  11. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Kit should be here tomorrow :). So for me front being the side with no stepper and back being side with stepper. Both front and back need a little bit of modding to get the full 1.25" inches of extra travel...correct? Mod looks great BTW!

12. Brian Mahoney

Builder

Front is no stepper, the end plate here will need modifying. For the rear, with the stepper no change required to the end plate, but the build table will need to be notched.

13. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Perfect. Thanks Brian. Seems like a mandatory mod since it doesn't cost anything, requires no extra parts and requires no mods to the original design. Do we get to call it the Jimmy Mod :) hahaha...Did you mill out the cut out for the stepper with the machine itself?

#643 Jimmybuckets, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  14. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

As I planned to swap out the mdf for a 1/2 aluminium plate with 1/4" masonite spoiler board getting a full 12.5 x 12.5 space was as simple as moving the tower (x-gantry) forward a few mm and clearancing the underside of the aluminium plate. I also put in some holes for m10 bolts for securing material. Nothing finalized yet, but who ever wants to, can check out my model. No openbuilds parts modified or changed out from the base kit.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Peter Walker and Mark Carew like this.
  15. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Are most people that are using a thicker Y plate attaching that to the OpenBuilds Y plate that comes with the kit or foregoing the stock plate and attaching v wheels right to the new thicker plate? I would think no stock plate and wheels directly on the aluminum plate?

16. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

I plan to go wheels directly to the new thicker aluminium plate. And use the stock c-beam as built to make all the cuts on the new aluminium plate. Kind of a self improving update (reprap style )..

17. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Makes sense. Long term I may do the same thing was thinking of adding more v-wheels also...any plans for that or do you think you will stick with the 4 wheels on the Y?

18. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

19. crussell

crussell New
    Builder

I have been looking at the MLCS Rocky 30, which I believe is a Makita OEM piece for 2/3 of the price:
    Rocky 30 Trim Router

20. crussell

crussell New
    Builder

21. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Just talked to someone at MLCS and they say it's not the same router as the Makita but looks pretty **** close. Looks like a good option. Was trying to stay clear of the Colt only because of implyed qc issue...but for $80 pretty good deal. $69 for a Colt re-con was temped. **** so many choices! I like the low speed on the Makita..MCLS has same low speed as well.

22. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

23. crussell

crussell New
    Builder

That looks like a bargain too. I'm looking as well to build out the Christmas list...

My only concern about the Makita clones is the long-term availability of replacement brushes and finding 1/8" collets that will fit.

24. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

A lot of times when tools appear to come from the same factory under different labels the difference is in the specs. And generally the cheaper model is either one that didn't test out properly at the specs for the brand name or has a lower quality of internal parts. Remember when you go cheap, you get what you pay for. So either go extremely cheap knowing it won't last and/or provide great results or go with quality. There have been several members who have been pleased with the Harbor Freight Router, for a while at least. The one at Menards may be an even better option for 10 bucks more. But if you change your mind and decide to spring for the higher priced, higher quality model buy new as refurbs generally only fix the most noticeable problem. (i.e. may have replaced the problematic brushes but paid no attention to worn bearings.)

At least you're lucky in that now is the best time of year to buy. If you've been considering the dewalt 611, have a little patience. It'll likely be back to $99 at some point before Christmas.

25. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Yeah I'm with you there. Seems they are not identical as the Makita has the speed controller above the on off switch and the others look to be on top of the housing. I'm sure they are similar but who knows about the guts.

26. crussell

crussell New
    Builder

Very good points Rick. Personally, for the few $ difference, I think I am going go with the Colt from Home Depot @ $79. Although the sale is on-line only, if I have any problems with it, I should at least be able to walk into any HD locally and exchange it out.

27. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Excellent points, I went with a dwp611 as it has a proven track record and has precision bits collets and super pid available as later upgrades.

As a cost perspective. I picked up the dwp611 brand new from amazon for $100 but once I put it in my cart to check out I got a $25 dewalt holiday discount applied. ( note: I did not buy it on black friday or cyber monday ) So $75 for a new dewalt 611 with free shipping without prime (over $35).

I also went ahead and picked up the Precision Bit's DEPG-0611-84KIT (includes everything for 1/8 and 1/4 collets)
    as he was running a sale for $83.

Did not pick up a super pid as I am unsure if it is needed. But that is something I can pick up later if I find I need it.

Fety Mann and Serge E. like this.
  28. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

**** when was that deal. Have been seeing the $25 off but not $99 for the 611 and says the $25 off doesn't apply

29. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Yesterday around 1 am, I have had the dewalt in my amazon cart for a few weeks while I was debating between it and a 110v 0.8kw spindle with vfd combo. I noticed the price went up and down while in my cart ( I think it was around $130 when I originally added it ). Went through with the purchase after I saw the discount.

#659 Kyo, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  30. Jimmybuckets

Jimmybuckets Well-Known
    Builder

Can you past the link?