Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam™ Machine - Plate Maker

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Jul 16, 2015.

1. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

I'm online looking for a router to fit the c beam, i cant find a U.K website that sells the dewalt 611 or the bosh colt router, i remember seeing a maketa router being mentioned? any ideas?

thanks

2. Flash22

Flash22 Well-Known
    Builder

#333 Flash22, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  3. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

Thanks flash, ill have a wee look at that 1, are you using it with the open builds spindle mount ?, if so did you have to pack it?

4. Flash22

Flash22 Well-Known
    Builder

yes I have used the OB Mount, I made a split collar up out of some 3" x 3/8 wall stock tube and turned it down on the lathe so it had a shoulder on it tbh, 3/8 wall tube was a bit thick - Then I just cut a slot in it on the saw, I never did a finishing pass on the lathe so its a bit rough - this helps grip the router - well that my story I'm sticking to it :rolleyes:

5. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

6. R_B

R_B New
    Builder

I merely tapped those holes to 4mm to also use bolts.

7. R_B

R_B New
    Builder

I liked the doubled Y axis drive idea for stability/rigidity and doubling the length of the Y seems trivial.
    a) Just change lead screw and extrusion length for the existing Y axis drive.
    b) Order another C-Beam assembly, in the 1m length.

I'm not enthusiastic about mounting the NEMA 23s on just two bolts, so I hacked up the design of the end plate for the motor drive end
    i) to 65mm high ii) to take 4x 5mm bolts on the NEMA motor bolt pattern.
    I know it will foul things that run toward the motor end about 72mm earlier than with the stock build, but if I extend the Y axis by 500mm I will still have 428mm extra to play with.
    I don't think it will be a problem on X and Z, but I can always switch back to the original end plates on whatever few jobs it becomes an issue.

8. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

x y z seems as easy as a b c or 1 2 3 but i'm that new to this i have to stop to think which one is which when reading posts :D
    I just love pictures it makes it a lot simpler for simple brains like mine ;)

I ended up buying this router, http://www.axminster.co.uk/dewalt-d26204k-plunge-and-fixed-base-2-in-1-router-1-4

I like to get double or treble use out of tools and this one fits the bill, i contacted them for the diameter of the spindle and was told its 69 mm so i just ordered it. next ill be looking at cutters.

the main thing i'm missing in my workshop now is a small metal lathe.

9. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

Has anyone attached a laser diode kit and tried that yet? I like the idea of burning old pictures to wood?

10. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

here is a couple of none lethal projects i done,

Attached Files:

Serge E. likes this.
  11. R_B

R_B New
    Builder

I don't know if these are available in UK, but Harvey Tool seems to offer a wide array of tooling in the smaller sizes that router CNC machines can use - as well as the BIG milling bits.
    I'm browsing their catalogue right now.

12. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

I had a quick look for a U.K distributor (eating my dinner) but can't see one for Harvey tools.

13. Flash22

Flash22 Well-Known
    Builder

only issue with the larger routers is weight on the Z axis and 1/2" bits are mainly are wood bits where end mills are 1/8 (3mm) and 1/4 (6mm) shank what range in size from 0.1 to 6mm there are collets available but they arnt cheap

edit. ah its 1/4, min rpm may be a issue

14. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

the dewalt i got is 1.9 kg with base attached . it takes 1/4" and 8mm collets, I also have a good dremmel hand tool i could use on the machine with a different mount. There is a card available for routers to the controller to moderate speeds as well as the speed control on the router.

15. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

I was looking at the bosch colt on the video of the c beam and the specification of that is 16000 to 35000 rpm

16. R_B

R_B New
    Builder

I don't know if these are available in UK, but Harvey Tool seems to offer a wide array of tooling in the smaller sizes that router CNC machines can use - as well as the BIG milling bits.
    I'm browsing their catalogue right now.

17. R_B

R_B New
    Builder

18. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

I'm getting too old to be a distributor, a wise man once said to me ..if our life was measured by a 12" ruler, i'm on my last few inches and my time is more valuable than all the gold in fort Knox :ROFL:

19. R_B

R_B New
    Builder

Any idea what spindle/chuck/holder this is ?

I don't mind hand changing tools at pauses, but as built the C-Beam machine with a router requires zeroing at every bit change.

BTW, 5 axis would be NICE, but the kick starter goal price of this is $3500.
    Not in MY beer budget for this week, I'll tell Santa that I plan to be REALLY GOOD - at least for the next three months.

20. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

Nice machine !

21. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

I downloaded universal g code sender and grbl, but i see people are having problems with bricking the card with grbl so i'm going to have to configure universal g code. There doesn't seem to be any options to configure it, should i just run it 'as is'? I noticed on the build video he set everything for grbl using the jpeg picture he has in the folder. I can't do that. i dont see a start/stop button to start the cnc router after opening the example file.

22. Flash22

Flash22 Well-Known
    Builder

To change the setting in uni G code sender go into the command tab and use the $ command say you want to change the value of $102 all you type is $102 followed by the value then hit the enter key

$$ gives you the settings on the grbl board

23. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

Its all brand new to me flash, I'll have a look at it again and see if i can follow your guidance. Thanks!

24. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

The router will be here today, I got messed about with an ebay seller for the power supply so Ryan has sent one out first class so should be here soon, If I can sort the software out i should be testing soon. I didn't realize v carve pro was £470, thats a good chunk of cash, it seems easier to use than artcam software but artcam is a lot cheaper.

Its a fly move selling parts of there programs to limit our abilities so we have to purchase them as well but we just have to grin and bare it while justifying it with internal self talk to convince ourselves before convincing the misses.

#355 shugster, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  25. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

Router arrived ! One more step in my cnc adventure, pictures attached. No need for packing it fits the mount good. 20150922_114417.jpg 20150922_115545.jpg 20150922_115604.jpg

26. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Now you're cookin! Looks good.

27. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

As long as i'm the one cooking and not my electronics :ROFL:

Thanks!!

28. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

Indeed. You'll get no argument here :)

If you're looking for a cheaper solution to the CAM/CAD software, have you checked out fusion360? Free for hobbyists, and worth a look if you're trying to keep the misses off your back!

Davey Rance likes this.
  29. shugster

shugster New
    Builder

I haven't looked at it no, but I will check it out, thanks for that!