Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Burning marks

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Benjamin Vg, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Benjamin Vg

Benjamin Vg Well-Known
    Builder

Hello,

I have made a few test cut and my first "real" shape in a sheet of plywood 3mm. But as I have just put it on my bed made in MDF, I have a lot of burning marks on the bottom of my piece.
    If I understood well that a common solution is the usage of a honeycomb but I see that it isn't a perfect solution either as the airflow isn't ideal.

I see also some people that use a nails bed (I saw some example with rivets) but I don't know how to have something perfectly plane and also how to fix my piece on top of it. As I have a compressor too maybe I could find a solution by combining it?

What could you advice about those topics and if I buy something what should I be careful about please?

REgards,

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

David the swarfer likes this.
  3. Benjamin Vg

Benjamin Vg Well-Known
    Builder

That could be an idea ideed

4. dean448

dean448 New
    Builder

I believe that honeycomb is the best all round solution. Flat surfaces collect a lot of debris and the smoke blows back into your part. Honeycomb absorbs that so you do have to clean it occasionally. if you really want to elevate the workpiece, and don't care about holding down sections due to warping, i've seen folks use pop rivets (3/16" in honeycomb) or you can make risers out of wood using 3/16" dowel rods.

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

The one I am building for my Z axis K40 Lift table will be made of Harbor Freight hacksaw blades like these $4.99 for 50 of them. 12 in. 24 TPI HCS Hacksaw Blades, 50 Pk.

At about 9:11 you can see where I got the idea. It is pretty clever.

6. dean448

dean448 New
    Builder

That could work but how do you plan to hold down the corners of wood that lifts off the bed? I'm not sure how much a magnet will grab the edges of blades that are spread out like that.

7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I rarely cut wood and the stuff I cut does not curl up. So, I never considered magnets. In this video he has a jig sticking to the bed with magnets. I mainly engrave stuff so had no real need for hold downs. But now you have me thinking...

8. Benjamin Vg

Benjamin Vg Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you for your returns of experience. The saw bed was original. As my purpose is mainly wood I agree that I don't know how to clamp it to the bed. Maybe with 3p printed clips it could work.
    Aftet that findind saw blades at this price will be hard in europe :)