Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Building Guitars

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by eric weatherman, Aug 9, 2019.

1. eric weatherman

Builder

Does anyone here build their own guitars? If so, what program and computer are you using to achieve? I have seen where you can use templates in other forums or design your own in other cad programs.

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

2. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Do a search for "guitar" in the panel top right. I'm pretty sure you will find something useful.

3. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

There is a fusion 360 luthiers group on facebook.

sharmstr likes this.
  4. eric weatherman

Builder

5. GRMark

GRMark New
    Builder

Eric I build my own guitars and in fact I am just starting a project using my new Workbee. I can offer any assistance that I can provide. My last build I made stuff like side bending jigs, etc with the help of a friend and his CNC machine. This build I'm going to be doing on my own, Feel free to give me a shout back.

- Mark -

6. eric weatherman

Builder

That would be awesome Mark! I really don’t know where to start...should I use open builds cam program or easel, etc. I am looking at build a solid body (strat/tele) guitar and neck. I’ve seen some start with templates and go from there, any guidance would be great

7. GRMark

GRMark New
    Builder

Eric, I have been building acoustic guitars. What I have been using for design software is Adobe Illustrator. My friends CNC setup would work with the AI files directly. My biggest issue was always having open vectors in my drawings but that was always fixable on his end. As I remember he was using Aspire software and was quickly able to fix the issues. I cut all my bending molds, bridge, etc using his CNC. His machine was MASSIVE and it seemed crazy screwing down a little piece of rosewood to machine out a bridge. On this build I intend on doing some inlay work with my CNC as well

The build which I have just started I bought the DXF files for the guitar I want to build primarily because they company guaranteed that all the files would be closed vectors. I am about to start working on the bending molds but have found I'm having problems loading the Illustrator SVG files into the Open Build software to generate the g-code. My shop doesn't have internet access so I need to do the g-code here in my home office.

I might suggest that if you don't have access to Illustrator that you consider using Easel. I actually just imported my "problematic" SVG file into Easel and although I don't have this computer attached to my CNC the cut simulation appeared to go without problem.

If you want to go with a DXF template for the guitar I can suggest at least a couple of good sources.

- Mark -

8. eric weatherman

Builder

Thank you Mark!

Where do you get your dxf templates from?

9. GRMark

GRMark New
    Builder

Eric,

I got my plans for my next guitar from cadguitarplans.com. I think that you could probably find some free plans but this place guarantees that there will not be open vectors and I felt that was a big plus!

Mark

eric weatherman likes this.
  10. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

Check electric herald.

eric weatherman likes this.
  11. eric weatherman

Builder

Thank

12. eric weatherman

Builder