Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Broken Blackbox current adjustment potentiometers

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Federico77, May 29, 2021.

1. Federico77

Builder

Hello guys,

I had a bad day today with my Workbee and Blackbox. First of all I noticed that my X axis started skipping steps although doing easy 1mm cuts through plywood messing up with my piece. I played a bit with the potentiometers and by adjusting just the X axis current also other axis leds started going red. Then by playing with the knobs, the screw actually broke (I swear I was gentle and with a perfectly sized screwdriver) and now I cannot adjust the current anymore on 2 potentiometers...

Sad/angry enough I came back home and I am resorting to the forum to first ask the exact potentiometers model so that I can buy/replace them.

Then I wonder what could have caused this X axis stuttering as it used to work nicely for quite a while. Regarding this specific aspect I found weird that most of the times it is not missing steps on straight X cuts but any arc (even without any actual cut) the movement stutters and doesn't move smooth.

Any idea to share?

Thanks a lot,
    Federico

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Axis stutter is almost 99.999% from loose/broken wire or connection.
    Or acceleration and or speed is too high, as your machine gets dirty the increase drag causing issues you got away with when new.
    Cheers
    Gary

Schematic says its a Bourns Pot.

3362S-1-103LF

upload_2021-5-29_21-2-30.png

#2 Gary Caruso, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Federico77

Builder

All right, thanks about the potentiometer model: i just ordered a bunch and they should be in my inbox in about 48hrs.
    Meanwhile I will check cables shielding and connection and see if there is any grime costraining the movements although I usually keep my Bee quite clean.
    Maybe also a further check on how much grip I have on the wheels...

Thanks for now,
    Federico

4. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

So you're the one who bought all the 3362S-1-103LF pots!

Anywho, I just had two of these fail. It has been very hot out in my shop and the little + drive on the control just peeled off when I turned the screw. Buying the bournes tool to turn these.

5. Federico77

Builder

Heheh, I only bought 10 and changed the 2 that had exactly your same issue with the + drive (finally I know the word for that thing in english, thanks for the help on that!).

I anyway noticed that my original problem is still there although MAYBE I finally have an idea of what it might be the stutter cause: too bad it sparked in my mind just 5 minutes ago and it is about 1am here in Italy.

I have strong feelings that having disabled “smoothing” in the Fusion360 cam program was the reason for my problem, not hardware or electronics... but I will know for sure only tomorrow evening.

Meanwhile, thanks to all and goodnight!