Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Mark Carew, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

btw @sharmstr and everyone all is up and running with the easter egg so keep at it ;)

2. Mark Carew

Hello @Donald Oehlke The short answers is yes it would make for a great drop in replacement for your existing controller. Sounds like you already have most of the parts and would only need to grab a BlackBox when they become available. However that being said I see you are working with a Alex and Ryan on the WorkBee Thread to get the Duet up and running and if you hang in there with them they will get you up and running using that system. That is a great set up and lots of guys are already using it so you may want to stick with it and see how you make out.

Alex Chambers likes this.
  3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @Donald Oehlke, have you shared your config.g file with Ryan? There are other possible causes of your problems apart from the software. If you have had your workbee for about three months then, like me, you got one of the first batch Ooznest shipped. There were some issues with the stepper motor cables on the first few machines and several of us found the connectors on the Duet could be delicate. If Ryan confirms that your firmware is OK then it might be worth, very carefully, looking at the cables and connectors to your stepper motors. Let me know if Ryan says your firmware is OK and I'll talk you through what to look for on the cables and connectors.
    Alex.

4. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

To all, I would like to retract my comments from yesterday. I wrote that out of frustration and didn't mean to put down anything that Openbuilds or the community is doing. This place and the openbuilds products are first class all the way! Yesterday's comment only came because I have completed my Lead 1010 build except one piece, the blackbox. I'm just very anxious to get started and hearing the later date was like telling a kid Christmas wasn't for another 3 weeks when they thought it was in a couple of days....

Again, I apologize and hope I didn't put anyone off.

Thanks,

Ben

5. bmark

bmark New
    Builder

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Nema = physical size of the mounting pattern :)

The more important question is, what is the coil voltage, current rating, inductance and resistance of the motors you want to use.

Up to 4A, with a coil voltage of 3-10v will work. High inductance will be slow on acceleration so try finding low inductance motors. Coil resistance and current rating can be used to calculate coil voltage, if its not provided on the motor datasheet.

SpringBob likes this.
  7. Mark Carew

Hi Ben, thank you! You are first class for coming on and apologizing. Please don't have a secound thought about it. We know exactly how you feel. Reaching so close to completing a Build only to find out there is a delay is truly one of the most frustrating things that can happen in a build with the exception only to the board not working at all, which is why we are working hard to make sure the BlackBox is truly the best CNC controller it can be for this awesome community. So we completely understand and WE truly appoligize for the delay we just to be sure that it's absolutely right.
    Thank you

8. Mark Carew

I am truly sorry to hear of your frustrations on the Duet and I know Ryan is doing everything he can to help you out there and they have a great support system. Too be honest my experience with the Duet is limited otherwise I would jump in and help where I could. As for a drop in replacement. No drop in performance, the BlackBox can be used in place of most CNC control boards. We did focus in creating a system that simplifies CNC wiring and software so it's great to hear that you find it easy to follow. Let me reach out to Ryan and see if we can help.

9. Donald Oehlke

Builder

Thanks for the recommendations. I have shared everything with Ryan remotely and he said everything looks to be running correctly but I have my x, y and z axises and limit switches plugged into the wrong terminals. I checked my hookups according to the drawings from the website and I had them hooked up the way the drawing shows. As I told Mark Carew, I am ready to throw the whole thing in the garbage. I think I am going to purchase the new Black Box when it comes out and give that a try as it looks easier than this Duet. I have had Ryan remotely set this thing up 2 different times and I still can't get it to Home or Jog once he signs off. I am not sure anyone can understand my frustration. I have many thought about why I bought the Workbee instead of a Shapeoko. If I could sell this Workbee at a reasonable price, I would buy the Shapeoko.

10. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

A common problem with the Duets was with the wiring. For example: The BEE and ME

11. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi Donald,

Apologies for these issues you have been having. I have just sent you a PM to get your Duet working. I am available now do another remote session and get to the bottom of it.

Best Regards

Ryan Lock

Mark Carew likes this.
  12. Donald Oehlke

Builder

Thanks for the response but I think I am going to order the Black Box and scrap the Duet. I don't have the time to set aside a remote session with Ryan because of time differences. I already have 3+ months set aside and still haven't moved the machine. Are there any connectors to purchase along with the Black Box? The connectors I have don't look like they will work with the new hookup. Thanks for the help.

13. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi Donald,

I am available right now to do a remote session. Can you please let me have one more chance to get it working?

Best Regards

Ryan Lock

14. Donald Oehlke

Builder

Thanks Ryan, Today won't work as I put a new SSD drive in and now I don't have an operating system until tomorrow when I get it in re-installed.

15. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi Donald,

Ok, i am available this time tomorrow to do another session, i am 100% sure i can get it working.

Best Regards

Ryan Lock

16. Donald Oehlke

Builder

I can't do tomorrow. Will let you know.

17. Peter Van Der Walt

:) If you guys wouldnt mind, Private Messaging may be a better way to arrange an appointment, than the BlackBox Thread (;
    Head over to https://openbuilds.com/conversations/ :) - Thanks!

Mark Carew likes this.
  18. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

My apologies for posting in this thread, i have started a conversation with him

Ryan

19. micnacc

micnacc New
    Builder

ok. so quick question. I have ordered the black box replacement but I was looking into all of its possibilities and I'm not sure if it is the best fit. here's why. when I get the board I will test it( get it up and running) then disassemble and build an enclosure for all of the parts to go in so everything is nice and neat. secondly I dont forsee my self needing a laser or a water jet and if I did I would build another machine for that purpose. third the company I work for has a commercial machine and i got spoiled "alittle" with all the buttons and would prefer toggle switches for program start and hold. fourth the enclosure will have a tablet connected to the machine as a standalone and all the files will be imported using an external memory of some sort. any suggestions as to what I can do about this will be mucho appreciated. thanks in advance.

20. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

So, if I'm understanding all of that, the only issue you have is the lack of buttons. If that's the case, you can tie a button into the limit switch wiring for a stop button (I dont have an enclosure, but I always use the closes limit switch to stop my machine even when I didnt have the blackbox). You can also use the door interlock signal connector for a pause/resume button. The only thing that's missing is the start button. Depending on what software you use, some have a way to add buttons, usually by way of keyboard emulators. OpenBuilds control doesnt have this yet, but its on the todo list.

21. micnacc

micnacc New
    Builder

currently running ugs but looking at other options as ugs is good but everyone else stepped up their game.

22. Skip S.

Skip S. Well-Known
    Builder

If I'm wanting to pair the black box with a Workbee and want to toss in a 4th axis set up onto it, could someone be kind enough to point me in a direction where I could read how to set this up?
    Or will there be a problem with the way it's set up due to the dual Y axis?
    Can black box support rotary?

23. Peter Van Der Walt

Grbl is 3 Axes only. The 4th driver is for the typical machine style with (usually) Dual Y motors. It can be slaved to XY or Z.

24. James111

James111 New
    Builder

AAAEFE25-D132-4BB5-8ACB-B7E41105C795.jpeg I’ve been having problems getting my new black box going (keep getting red lights on all drivers)

While I have it here I’ve taken a look in the parts bin as I was having issues with skipped steps on my old cnc shield controller(the reason for the new black box purchase) and would like to know if the new black box will run this bad boy

#234 James111, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2020
    MaryD and Mark Carew like this.
  25. Peter Van Der Walt

:) Unlikely I think
    4A, with a 3-10v coil voltage rating motors ideally. Somehow I think that ones going to need a lot more than that

#235 Peter Van Der Walt, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Mark Carew likes this.
  26. James111

James111 New
    Builder

if it could I think it would solve Mine yours and just about everyone else’s all in one. Funny thing is it’s not even the biggest by far we have in the factory.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  27. Mark Carew

@James111 lol that is awesome! :D I have to share this in the morning meeting :thumbsup: This is what the BlackBox dreams about :)

David the swarfer likes this.
  28. James111

James111 New
    Builder

If you think that’s good I have access to a ballscrew thicker than your leg

Mark Carew and sharmstr like this.
  29. Skip S.

Skip S. Well-Known
    Builder

I guess what I was looking for was that if it could handle axis wrapping like what Vectric aspire can do, and if anyone has set up their black box to do that. Sorry for the sideways question

30. Anthony Bolgar

Anthony Bolgar Journeyman
    Builder

There are a couple of GRBL controllers that I know of that can do 4 and 5 axis control. The first is the C3D laserBoard, it is a 32 bit board that runs GRBL and is 4 axis capable right out of the box. It has Trinamic drivers, but can use external drivers as well. The other board is the Awesome.tech SuperGerbil. It is also a 32bit GRBL controller that is 5 axis capable. It also has a built in DC spindle controller, Toshiba 4A drivers (You can use external drivers as well) The C3D laserboard is available at Home - Cohesion3D and the SuperGerbil is at Home -

#240 Anthony Bolgar, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Mark Carew and Skip S. like this.