Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox Z Probe Voltage?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Slowpaddle, Jul 8, 2024.

1. Slowpaddle

Builder

This is my first post on the forum so forgive me if my question has already been answered.

I am researching parts for a plasma cutter build project for a small local weld shop. The BlackBox seems to fit the bill quite well as the controller.

My question is about the Z probe. What is the voltage being supplied to it from the controller? I was hoping to use an inductive proximity sensor rather than a mechanical switch but the ones I have access to use 24VDC.

There are references to the limit switch voltages but not for the probe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Checkout docs:blackbox-x32:connect-npn-inductive [OpenBuilds Documentation] - the Probe port is exactly the same as the Endstop ports, you can use a NPN Inductive on the Probe port too, in place of the switch shown in docs:blackbox-x32:connect-plasma [OpenBuilds Documentation]

The voltage jumper sets V+ for all 3 ports (3 limits and 1 probe)

But do note inductives have lower accuracy than a lever switch, which for a probe would be a slight disadvantage

3. Slowpaddle

Builder

Thank you for your very quick reply Peter.

Yes, I realize that the inductive sensors are a bit finicky that way.

My reasoning behind this was to avoid any metal debris from affecting a mechanical switch. As a retired Industrial Electrician here in Canada I've had to replace my fair share of switches because of that and thought an aluminum sensing proximity switch might help to overcome that issue. Guess I'll know more once this build gets started.

Once again, thanks!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.