Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox Y2 stepper driver short?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Johnny Reich, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Johnny Reich

Builder

I’m using an OpenBuilds BlackBox to control a 3-axis mill.

When initially connecting all leads to the 3 axes, spindle motor control board and limit switches, and then powering on, something shorted and the BlackBox is dead.

Examination showed the evidence of the short near the Y2 output connector, which is unused and with no connections to a physical motor.

Did I cause this through a misconfiguration of some sort? A recently viewed YouTube video asserted that stepper drivers that are powered but unconnected to a physical stepper motor are at a high risk of shorting and being destroyed.

Thanks in advance for any advice and coaching.

Johnny

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Please contact the OpenBuilds Partstore via Support for assistance. Thanks

3. Johnny Reich

Builder

An update to my shorted BlackBox issue.

The OpenBuilds Support Team provided absolutely AWESOME help and I greatly appreciate that.

They responded to my initial questions by asking for more information and photographs of the BlackBox in question. After I responded to their queries for troubleshooting info, they opted to send me another BlackBox, at no charge.

I consider this way above and beyond, as I’m almost positive that the issue was caused by me and not by the BlackBox itself.

In addition to the BlackBox, Interface and Meanwell power supply that I’m incorporating into my Intelitek ProLight Mill update project, I now own a LEAD 1515 unit and Modular Table kit. I’m extremely satisfied and everything is performing flawlessly.

I consider OpenBuilds to be my #1 supplier for CNC related gear and parts, based both on equipment quality and after-purchase support.

Thanks OpenBuilds,
    Johnny

sharmstr likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Thank you for the kind words! Will pass it on to the team to share during the next morning meeting! Very happy that you are sorted!