Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox X32

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by OpenBuilds, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Raul Rabaça

Builder

Thank you,
    just send again a new one.

2. Shell M. Shrader

Builder

See the brownout detector triggering? It's causing the board to reboot.

3. Raul Rabaça

Builder

Yes, I saw that
    Later on I tried different USB plug on the PC and the boot went ok.
    The wiring is ok, power switch off, can not understand why is smoking out when power the PSU.
    BlackBox+shipping+import taxes end up for 300€. It's a lot of money smoking out.

Attached Files:

4. Shell M. Shrader

Builder

At least you got the brownout solved. I was going to mention trying a different cable but assumed you were using the one that comes with it.

Raul Rabaça likes this.
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

By the time you have smoke, best bet would be to wait until Monday on the Store. They will help best they can.

6. Raul Rabaça

Builder

Yep, I will...."smoke happens"
    Thanks

7. Darryl Hadfield

Builder

Thanks Peter.

Is this: IOT Switching Relay Power Strip expected to be back in stock anytime soon or should I snatch one up anywhere I can find it?

*edit* or, is there a simpler connection method I can use? I'm good with a soldering iron, just not so much with understanding what components to use to use that "tool" output to control AC mains power to the DWP611 I'm using.. Before now I just manually turned it on when ready to start.

#67 Darryl Hadfield, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  8. Peter Van Der Walt

That would be best!

Unfortunately, for liability reasons, we can delve into DIY mains switching solutions

9. Darryl Hadfield

Builder

I'm guessing that should be "can't" but yeah, got it. I found one on Adafruit; they're on Ebay for $200+ from some sellers. Insane.

First (this time around!) cuts just completed; I need to do a bit more CAD work and then I'll be ready to start the next phase of my planned project.

BTW... the BBx32 instructions reference, and I quote, "Note if you are not using OpenBuilds Motors, refer to FAQ: Identify Motor coils to identify the coil pairs. The color codes shown above only apply to OpenBuilds Motors"

I'm using OpenBulds motors, but the color codes (red-blue-green-yellow) were incorrect. I ended up having to test and it came out to red-green-blue-yellow - my kit was an OB purchase back in March of 2018 - perhaps your motors have changed since then? There were a few other oddities in that kit, too, like the couplers were missing, other stuff was missing.. had to go back and forth until I had it all.

Figured I'd share in case you want to update the docs to reflect that perhaps older motors from OB may not match up, either.
    Interface is up and running; for whatever reason, I couldn't seem to connect from the "Control" software, to the Interface... I ended up having to direct connect. The blackbox I did a firmware update on just in case (1.1f before, same after), then I udpated the Interface device to firmware 1.57. I can hit the interface from elsewhere on my network, just not from the PC runnign the Control software sitting next to the CNC. I ended up just reconnecting it via USB, and then first cuts went fine.

Thanks for your help!

10. Peter Van Der Walt

You use either the PC or Interface. Not both at the same time

11. Darryl Hadfield

Builder

Yep, I get that. The problem isn't about using both at the same time - it's about sending gcode through Control, to the Interface.

It sounds like what you might mean is, "You cannot do that." If that's the case, why is there a network access method shown in the Control software? I'd expect that it would at least show the ability to send gcode to the Interface, but no joy.

While I can definitely appreciate the issues with having competing 'attention' for the controller's functionality, intuitively it seems to me that there should still be some overlap based on what the Control software is showing me.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Correct, you don't :)

For the BlackBox X32 which has direct Wifi connection ability

USB drive: docs:interface:usage-instructions [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    Network: Type the IP shown onscreen on the interface into any Browser on your network

13. Darryl Hadfield

Builder

Hm. But that connectivity isn't going to work, if the interface is present...

This seems very odd to me.

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Again that "not both" scenario. Wanna use the PC? Or the Interface?
    You bought the Interface to NOT use your computer after all? (At least that's how we market it)

15. Darryl Hadfield

Builder

Hm. I guess I'm going to have to do more reading. Seems like I might have not needed the interface after all.

16. Raul Rabaça

Builder

Fantastic!!! Thank you.
    I contact the OB Support and they were really remarkable, actually everyone here is great.
    My confidence in the OpenBuilds is reinforced. I've made the right choice!!

Thank You sooo much
    Raul

Giarc likes this.
  17. Carl Whitmore

Builder

I'm trying to set up my Black Box X32, and I'm not sure it's behaving like it should. (certainly not like I expect!)

When I power it on, the stepper motors "lock up" like I would expect them to. When I try to move them via a jog command, they do not move--only "release" while the computer thinks the jog is happening, then "re-lock" when the jog is complete. (what I mean is, I can move them by hand while the computer thinks it's moving the motors, then when the command finishes, the motors won't move again) The measurements in Openbuilds Control change as if it's moving.

If it means anything, the "Motors Enabled" green LED turns off during the jog, then turns back on as the motors lock again.

Where do I start looking? Everything SEEMS fine, other than the motors not moving as I'd expect them to. Which is a fairly major necessity. :ROFL:

18. Darryl Hadfield

Builder

Sounds like maybe you need to verify the coils.

I know that despite using OB motors (NEMA23s), the color coding wasn't correct for me. I had to manually verify the coils for each stepper and then rewire - and I'm goign good now.

19. Carl Whitmore

Builder

I did check the coil pairings with a multimeter, and all seem good. Not using OB motors, so that was my first check.

One other tidbit....no matter whether I jog the X or Y axis, both motors "shut off" during the jog. So if I command X to jog, I can move the X by hand during the jog. If I command Y to move, I can move the X in that case as well.

20. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Set $4 = 0

Alex.

21. Peter Van Der Walt

Also indicates $1=25 (should be 255 to keep them always on) - but the main mistake is $4 should be 0. Our profiles (including the CUSTOM option and the Restore Backup) sets it for you.

Carl Whitmore likes this.
  22. Carl Whitmore

Builder

Excellent, I'll look at both of those later tonight. I appreciate the help!

I assumed it would have a functional default profile already, I haven't changed anything yet.

23. Peter Van Der Walt

OpenBuildsCONTROL > Grbl Settings > Select a machine from the list (Custom if yours is not listed, and avoid changing advanced defaults like $4, $10-13, etc

Carl Whitmore likes this.
  24. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

set $4=0
    or, load a profile from OBControl and then calibrate using the wizard.
    or, if you had an BB x4, plug usb into that, backup the settings, then plug in the X32 and restore the settings

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  25. Carl Whitmore

Builder

Loading a "custom machine" profile fixed me right up. Thanks everyone!

26. antialias_

Builder

Hello,

Just set up an Acro 1510 w/ BlackBox x32 to use as a pen plotter but seem to be stuck when loading firmware. There is no 2-axis firmware option and the 3-axis firmware throws errors when trying to home as I believe it starts trying to home Z which does not exist.

Not game enough to try and build my own firmware. Hopefully it is made available soon or if someone else has built their own and is willing to share I would be be appreciative.

Project has hit a dead end for now which is disappointing.

27. terjeio

terjeio Well-Known
    Builder

Many compile time options in Grbl has been moved to settings in grblHAL. E.g. $44 - $45 contains the homing cycles, set $44 to 0 to disable Z homing as the first cycle. Alternatively set $44=3 and $45=0 to home X and Y simultaneously in the first cycle and disable the second.

crispin, Giarc, Alex Chambers and 2 others like this.
  28. antialias_

Builder

Legend! You've got me up and running - thank you so much for the tip!

crispin likes this.
  29. 71k5blaze

71k5blaze New
    Builder

will the new x32 bb support THC for plasma cutter?

30. Peter Van Der Walt

Not intended, though there is a THC plugin for grblHAL you can explore. It would entail some out-of-the-box innovative thinking as BlackBox doesn't provide additional inputs for the THC. You may need to look at external circuitry, and reusing inputs like door/probe/endstops in unintended ways.

Our official recommendation is still a proper drag-head setup with a touchoff switch.