Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox X32 / Interface / USB job 'completing' early

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by Robert Merwiak, Jul 1, 2024.

1. Robert Merwiak

Builder

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the CNC world after recently building a Rat Rig Stronghold One (750x750). I've been learning/testing for a few weeks now and keep having an issue with jobs 'completing' part way through. My setup is Blackbox X32 / Interface / USB file. I have an AMB 1.4kW spindle. If I restart the job, sometimes it will complete the whole job on 2nd attempt, but I had one job that took about 6 attempts to complete. It doesn't happen all the time but to happen at all means there is an issue I need to sort out.
    Has anyone else encountered similar problems?
    Rob

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

1) Interface firmware up to date? (v1.58)
    2) If it shows "completed" it reached the end of the file. When copying the file, you are waiting for copy to complete fully and doing Safely Eject before removing the USB drive from the PC?

3. Robert Merwiak

Builder

Hello Peter,
    1; v1.58 confirmed. I updated immediately after receiving.
    2; Yes, I do eject correctly. And it must be the full file because when I re-run the file it 'completes' the job fully.
    It happened to me again this morning which prompted me to post. The spindle stops 'in place' in the middle of the job but was still turning (which I failed to mention previously), Interface said 'Job complete'.
    If it happens again I can take a video of the position the spindle (not back to zero), spindle still turning, and Interface message 'Job complete'.
    I appreciate seeing it will help. Thanks.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

VFD spindle? Or Router?
    VFDs create a lot of EMI problems docs:blackbox-x32:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    No need for video, but its super odd. EMI tends to cause errors like gcode corruptions. "complete" signals end of file. Using our flash drive included with Interface or a different one?
    Right after failing, can you browse the USB (no reset or anything, straight away after) from Open File button?

5. Robert Merwiak

Builder

AMB Milling Motor 1400 FME-P DI 230V.
    Was using the Openbuilds USB this morning, but have used another previously (but cannot confirm if issue happened on that one or not).
    After fail, I press OK on Interface, then go to browse USB just fine, select the same file, and run again. It completed on second attempt.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Try an aircut (Zero Z high) without the spindle as a test.

Also try the other USB (maybe the freebie is failing)

7. Robert Merwiak

Builder

It only happens sporadically so don't think air cut test will be of any use. I have done a couple of cuts just fine over the last hour.
    I did order another couple of flash drives (in case I lost one). I will move over to a new USB and see how things go.
    Many thanks for you help Peter - I will post again if the problem persists with new USB.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

That sounds like EMI :)

David the swarfer likes this.
  9. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

are you using a vacuum for dust extraction? vacuum hoses generate static electricity, but it does depend on atmospheric conditions, so you may only be getting failures on dry days.
    solutions can be:
    if the hose has a spring wire in it, earth that at the vacuum motor end
    if just a plastic hose, put a bare copper wire inside the pipe (long enough to be a little loose), and earth at the vacuum motor end.

Giarc and Alex Chambers like this.