Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox x32 firmware upgrade stall from start

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by timbopoise, Jul 20, 2024.

1. timbopoise

Builder

After having issue not getting the Blackbox x32 to connect to my wifi I founds a forum post that suggest I should update the firmware so I navigated to these instructions:

docs:blackbox-x32:firmware [OpenBuilds Documentation]

I'm running Control software on Ubuntu 22.04, v1.0376
    Unlike the the help page, the serial connections seems to get closed immediately so not knowing how long to wait (if it actually continued without USB connection) so I waited over 20min.

Upon reboot I don't see any differences in version numbers. See attached images.
    What is the latest version of Grbl firmware and how do I confirm the latest version is flashed?

Also, I'm using the default "Machine style" since I'm unsure which to use. I'm running an X/Y Nema 23 axis, hard limit switches installed and wired.

Regarding my wifi, I've configured $74 and $75 with my SSID/passwd but it never connections.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. timbopoise

Builder

Clarification:
    In an attempt overcome above issue where I don't appear to be able to flash firmware I'm thinking blackbox is not auto reseting to enter bootstrap mode. I found documentation on manually starting bootstrap, see links below.

Question: perform manual boostrap mode first and they start firmware download? Or, start firmware download (ignore that port has disconnected) and then do manual bootstrap mode?
    Thx

docs:blackbox-x32:firmware [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    docs:blackbox-x32:faq-bootloader [OpenBuilds Documentation]

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Port disconnect means you were already connected (working state). It had to first close your connection, then continue to Flashing. That's all Port close means. We closed the port that was open. Close CONTROLs access to allow ESPTOOL to access the port

Rest of issues : Try a different PC first.

The cropped screenshots makes it hard to check deeper. Port path looks like maybe Linux? Could be an issue with your OS's Python dependencies etc - easier to just use a Windows PC for the flash if it doesn't want to run on your Linux device. (Linux OS tech support is out of scope for us sadly)

4. timbopoise

Builder

Peter. I borrowed a window 11 pro laptop and was able to get the firmware downloaded. The Grbl version still shows as 1.1f.

I've set $74/$75 to my SSID and key but I never see the blackbox32 on the network (using nmap), as well there are no indicators in the output when I connect USB and connect.

What do you suggest? what do you need to know?

Plz clarify: I noticed that the blackbox32 seems to get powered by the USB. Is the 24pwer required during the process of getting it to connect via wifi?
    What's the difference between the INTERFACE functionality and the wifi settings we put in $74/$75

My goal is to be able to let my wife run Control software and download quilt pattern gcode from her laptop without a USB connection.

Thanks for your help.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That's just the startup string (Grbl's been around for decade and a half, so a lot existing software continues to works with grblHAL too if it tells it its 'grbl 1.1' - its for the Compatibility level not the Version.

The Version is in the log, look for the [VER:.... message

upload_2024-8-5_15-59-23.png

Definately something about your network. The embedded network stack is that simple: Sees a 2.4ghz network > Sufficient signal to do the handshake > Does handhake (correct ssid/password) > Gets DHCP IP from your router).

If its not connecting, its either your settings, or your network (signal too weak, its a 5ghz network not a 2.4ghz network, or DHCP not working)

No, not needed.

Interface: Just to upload files to Interface's USB drive docs:interface:wifi-upload [OpenBuilds Documentation] (Interface replaces the PC, so its just upload mechanism)

BlackBox: Telnet interface from connecting from CONTROL via network (same as USB cable), or for native grblHAL WebUI GitHub - grblHAL/Plugin_WebUI: ESP3D-WEBUI backend for networking capable drivers/boards with SD card support

USB cable is far more wife-friendly. Networking adds a complicated layer. Plug in laptop, run CONTROL, connect. Always works. no troubleshooting.

6. timbopoise

Builder

>If its not connecting, its either your settings, or your network (signal too weak, its a 5ghz network not a 2.4ghz network, or DHCP not working)

Is a 2.4ghz, DHCP good.... will look into weak network but if that's the case it's the blackbox's antenna not as good as it could be, as I've got mesh network within 20ft and my laptop and other computers are connecting fine.

>USB cable is far more wife-friendly.

I won't tell my wife you said this :) We are both computer hw/sw engineers.

Thanks Peter.

David the swarfer likes this.